X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton infill developers launch new league to encourage good design

Edmonton infill developers launch new league to encourage good design

BY ELISE STOLTE, EDMONTON JOURNAL JULY 18, 2013 1:10 PM

EDMONTON - A new league of infill developers, architects and residents of mature communities hopes to create a louder voice to influence city council and a better forum to debate what makes good redevelopment.

The Infill Development in Edmonton Association (IDEA) is launching Thursday night with their founding 50 members. A larger public launch is slated for this fall.

“What we need is something that brings us all together,” said president Tegan Martin-Drysdale, a partner with the developer RedBrick. “People don’t collaborate enough and they don’t connect the dots as a result.”

City council aims to increase the amount of infill development from 19 per cent to 25 per cent of total residential development permits. Martin-Drysdale said this spring’s heated debate over zoning changes meant to increase the amount of infill demonstrates how much this new league is needed.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...727/story.html

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I have the fortune to be involved with this group, community liaison, and look forward to working with many of you in the coming weeks/months/years.

Comment

Developers' lobby group ??

I'd like to see more stakeholder participation. The interests of an infill developer are not necessarily the same as the interests of someone who lives in a mature neighborhood
      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^That is very true, why I hope this group is willing to work more closely with residents and community leagues. I think the term I would use is 'appropriate infill', not any infill.
        www.decl.org

Comment

This group is about getting a much better conversation going and connecting stakeholders rather than having them in adversarial roles as much as possible.

Much more to come...

Comment

I know we're excited to be part of this. See you tonight!

Comment

Great turnout last night for the founding launch party.

Thanks to Louis for hosting.

http://www.thirdstone.ca

Comment

http://infilledmonton.ca/

About IDEA
                Mission:
                To promote and advocate for high quality infill development in Edmonton.

Vision:
                For Edmonton’s existing neighbourhoods to flourish with diverse housing and healthy lifestyle choices.

Who We Are
                The Infill Development in Edmonton Association (IDEA) is a proactive advocacy group that provides education and resources on infill development to the community and industry.

What We Do
                IDEA helps to connect organizations, experts, businesses and individuals in order to encourage high quality and vibrant infill development in Edmonton.

Board Members:
                President: Tegan Martin-Drysdale, Developer, RedBrick Real Estate Services & Developments
                Vice-President: Tai Ziola, Architect, newstudio architecture inc.
                Secretary-Treasurer: Paul Gibson, Developer, RedBrick Real Estate Services & Developments
                Director: Ron Wickman, Architect
                Director: Louis Pereira, Architect, thirdstone inc.
                Director: Sean Johnson, Accountant
                Director: Brendan Trayner, Manasc Isaac Architects
                Community Liason Committee: Ian O’Donnell, Downtown Community League Development Director

Comment

no one from the city heritage buildings group ?
                  Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

^we will be working with them yes, but I am not sure if they would join given that public jobs often prevent formal alignment with any one group.

Keep in mind that this is our board only, not the entire 'group'.

Comment

This was posted by Todd Babiak this afternoon:

"@babiak: And in Old Strathcona, someone is putting up a future tear-down."
                      https://twitter.com/babiak/status/36...789696/photo/1

From what I know, the New Asian Village owners are putting this up as a rooming-house for employees. Located on 88 Avenue and around 103 St (East of Ritchie Mill). I think it even survived SDAB.
                      www.decl.org

Comment

That's nowhere near the SDAB boundary. It was not reviewed.

I am not sure what the super-fantastic league of infill developers would do about it either

Pretty ugly house though
                        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^I thought I had heard it went to SDAB for site coverage or something like that. I could be wrong.

IDEA wouldn't do anything per se, other than advocate for better design and by example. I just didn't know where else to post this crazy terrible infill example.
                          www.decl.org

Comment

^Looks like a prison. Like the "Hot Shed" in Bridge On The River Kwai. Looks about as comfortable too...

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                              That's nowhere near the SDAB boundary. It was not reviewed.

I am not sure what the super-fantastic league of infill developers would do about it either

Pretty ugly house though
                              Do you mean EDC?

It did indeed go to SDAB.

Comment

Working...
                              X