Strathearn Heights Development restarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted by Dan C:
    High rises aside, town houses, the retail component, none of it has gone forward.
    Maybe the only way it's viable to them is as a whole, maybe some of the lower density items are still dependent on infrastructure upgrades.
    The City has now literally invested in this project, by gifting them an LRT station. A far more direct and likely cost effective route would have been up Connors road. The LRT was built around some what these folks have been talking about delivering. I'm actually amazed (no I'm not) that the City seems to have painted itself into a corner here of having to now adjust the infrastructure financing model to make this happen to make the LRT route the most viable.
    There is a lot of eggs in this basket.
    After 10 years though, it's just hard to think that items keep coming up or the market wasn't right at some point that prevented anything from starting.
    I agree. Plus proximity to the river valley should make this an attractive redevelopment site. Plus the site already has a network of public streets.

The City has already bent over backward to accommodate the demands of this developer. If they refuse to start redeveloping the site without a public subsidy perhaps it's time for them to put the property up for sale to someone who will.

Comment

• There's no way the city should do more for these guys than they did for 104st, or have promised to do for 105 Ave....
      Build the streetscape improvements and make adjacent property owners who get a value boost from the improvements pay it back with an additional levy on top of their taxes.

The owners of strathern heights get an LRT station from the city free of charge - and the detour from Connors road that massively benefits this property was decided partially based on the increased density this development would bring at the expense of a shorter route that would cost less.

These owners are trying to make their side of the bargain count twice. Screw 'em.
      Last edited by Highlander II; 06-04-2017, 06:30 PM.
      There can only be one.

Comment

• Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        ^too close to the refineries in the E? Or maybe just, too mature of a neighborhood? Not sure, hopefully the LRT will give the area a boost. Its a lot easier, and more of a sure bet though, to build townhomes and similar in a brand new neighborhood like Greisbach or Windermere, where you know home buyers will be checking out the show homes and similar. Same for rentals.
        What are you talking about? Refineries are 50 blocks away...you would have no idea living here about any of that.
        The rest of your post makes it sound like they built something to look at and people aren't coming. There's nothing to look at, not even firm renderings let alone floor plan.
        Just a really plain strip mall and some well kept but very old apartments, blocks of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
          Moahunter, not everyone wants to shovel a driveway.
          Even the City's most optimistic & unrealistic vision for densification is 80%+ of growth occurring in SFH-dominated neighbourhoods on the periphery, so while many people don't want to shovel a driveway, or mow a lawn, or any of all the additional chores that having a house entails they're more than willing to put up with the inconvenience to maintain their higher standards of living.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• A significant portion of those 80% of new homes that are Greenfield are not single family. Lots of apartments and townhouse condos going up on the edge of town.
            There can only be one.

Comment

• So when I was looking at houses I dove through this area to see what I could find, which was nothing. I was surprised to see that there was no movement at this site whatsoever. Neighbourhood renewal however is in full swing.
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• Last I recall of this project the developers were asking for several million from the city to ensure the streetscape for the main boulevard would be nice. Was there any movement on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
                  Last I recall of this project the developers were asking for several million from the city to ensure the streetscape for the main boulevard would be nice. Was there any movement on that?
                  They also want the city to buy the roads from my understanding and no... I’m led to believe that it’s a deadlock and a game of funding chicken.
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• Edmonton city council puts Strathearn Heights redevelopment on hold for more negotiation

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• CoE will throw 5$ million+ each for crappy pocket parks that do nothing, or $86 million on a library refurb that somehow made the building uglier... but $13 million to get some actually nice walkable development going is apparently a bridge too far...

Comment

• It's back!

When we bought our house in Strathearn, the developer was in full-on battle with the community over the first poorly designed proposal. In the 36 years since then, we have seen three completely designs, none of which met with approval from the community. The current concept (the fifth iteration?) is probably better suited to TOD than their previous attempts, but we'll have to see actual design details during the consultation phase.

I find it humorous that the same people have spent their entire careers trying to get this development started. That's determination!

Comment

Working...
                        X