Canada Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please ^^no.

Unremarkable design, little overt affect of the skyline kills it for me.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Dangerous idea. You don't want city bureaucrats mixing with federal bureaucrats. Horrid terrors of unnecessary red tape and major inefficiencies will spawn.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
        The building is owned by a private firm, is my understanding. One would assume, if that is the case, they can do what they want. Assuming the GoC has an interest in lease space at the site.
        the building - and eight others - was purchased a number of years ago by larco investments from west vancouver. they are bound by the terms if a 25 year lease for at least that long plus any renewals exercised by pwgsc.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by halocore View Post
          Dangerous idea. You don't want city bureaucrats mixing with federal bureaucrats. Horrid terrors of unnecessary red tape and major inefficiencies will spawn.
          you mean like the federal building and canada place and commerce place and the prince of wales armory?
          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

^ Haha, true I guess there are a few already now that you mention it Though I thought the federal building was all for provincial employees?

Back on topic though, I personally prefer the building as it is right now, rather then how it would be with the third "tower". I wont claim to be an urban design critic, but I think the current step-down in height provides a nice transition in scale to the edge of the quarters on the 102ave and 97th st area.

Comment

I disagree. It looks OK from the south but from the north side it's obviously unfinished. It would be nice to see the building completed.

Comment

^ that may be so but not in place of a new muni tower.
                "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Ni, not in place of.

Comment

Okay if we let our imaginations run wild and imagine the city building the 3rd tower at Canada Place it raises a question, should it be a complementary style to the existing building? I think it should be, its possible to vary a little bit (balconies or terraces) but fit a similar visual look.

I shudder to imagine something like the library addition or the old Bay buildings extra floor, those additions made them worse.

Comment

Pardon reviving a nearly eight year old thread. Same as the OP, I'm searching for a photo, drawing or rendering of the full build out of Canada Place with the third section. None of the links work anymore and I've searched everywhere. Any help is appreciated.
                      Skyscraper Enthusiast

Comment

From my memory the 3rd tower had an identical look to south and middle but 2 more floors

Comment

Working...
                        X