Canada Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Place

Does anyone have any renderings of Canada Place with the third "tower" on it?

I've searched to the limits of google (I think) and cannot seem to find them anywhere. Unless its just a rumor that the original plan called for a third "tower"...you can clearly see a podium of sorts at the north side of the building...

^ take the west bank of elevators all the way to the top floor, there is a scale model of the full build out of CP sitting just to the right

If it is still there. That was five years ago.
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

There is one on the web... I have seen it.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

In their conference centre area on the second floor there is a model of it behind glass. Not sure if anyone can get into the conference centre now or if you need to be an employee in the building.

Comment

found this in quick google search, not very big, but shows the full build

http://www.techcord.com/images/Canplace.jpg

Comment

I don't know if, or where, this book is available but it could have detailed drawings of the project.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=dX0N...ed=0CDYQ6AEwAA

Comment

^awesome! Thanks!

Out of curiosity what did you type in for your search? I've tried everything from "Canada place Edmonton full build" to "Canada place Edmonton" and "Canada place Edmonton original design"...nothing...lots of random pictures that have nothing to do with my search though.

Comment

I searched: canada place edmonton model

was the 11th pic to come up, got lucky i guess!

Comment

Does any one know the back story as to why the "third" tower was never built?

Comment

My understanding was that when it was being built, owners of downtown towers raised concerns about losing so many government offices as tenants that the government took a position not to build the third tower unless downtown occupancy rates went above a certain threshold. That may be legend for all I know.

Comment

So if legend is true, theoretically we could be getting close to the point where the third tower could become a reality?

Comment

The building is owned by a private firm, is my understanding. One would assume, if that is the case, they can do what they want. Assuming the GoC has an interest in lease space at the site.

Comment

Here's an idea: Even though I'm a fan for the RedBrick Civic Tower Proposal. I think the CoE could use the "third tower" space at Canada Place as a spot to construct the new Civic Tower.

Comment

^thats actually a great idea...especially considering its proximity to city hall and LRT.

Comment

Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
                              ^thats actually a great idea...especially considering its proximity to city hall and LRT.
                              And also, it would be a great opportunity to renovate Canada Place since I think the whole pink facade is not exactly the best looking thing that dots the skyline in my opinion. We could even possibly add 1 or 2 more towers with retail space at the part that faces Jasper Avenue to add some more height to the building too.

Comment

Working...
                              X