Edmonton Tower | 129.9 m, 426', 29 floors |

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Tower | 129.9 m, 426', 29 floors |

So I thought that this thread could be much more convenient in regards to the recent announcement from the city that they are taking proposal for a new office tower to consolidate all the City of Edmonton offices in. There of course has been one of the proposal "the crossroads" put into the media and then there is also the proposal that has been submitted by Qualico. I think this thread should combine all the different threads discussing the various proposal rather than having seperate threads for each proposal. So again here is the list that I know of so far in no particular order, please feel free to add to the list if you have a confirmation of an actual proposal to the city.

- MacLab Enterprises - The Crossroads (Jasper Ave. & 98st)
    - Qualico - Possibly at Stationlands
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

John Day - Kelly Ramsey

Comment

I think the CoE should disregard 40% of the proposals, the ones without new towers.

Comment

^ LOL... I'm glad you're not in charge of the process...

Anyways, some the other players I could speculate put responses to the ROI in:

WAM/Katz
        Old ATB building on Jasper
        Melcor
        Dundee (HSBC on 101)
        Gene Dub
        Citadel proposal
        Procura
        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Can we make the assumption* that any and every potential new office development in downtown Edmonton is premised on the CoE being the anchor tenant? If so, then really we can highlight any potential proposal:

- Aimco - 102nd Street Center/Manulife 2 (Going to EDC on Dec 4?)
          - Katz Group - Arena & Entertainment District Office Tower (Requested rezoning to a ridiculous height and has publicly pushed the CoE - Deal is dead?)
          - Maclab - Open Lot between Shaw and Hotel - submission has been made public
          - Qualico - Stationlands 2 - Confirmed by Ken that submission was made
          - John Day - KR block - The plans and EDC submissions are well established - no confirmation of actual submission to CoE but it can be assumed due to the lack of any other anchor tenant for these types of projects
          - Melcor?
          - Who else?

*Assumption based on Avison Young interview where the CoE RFP was noted as a "once in 5 to 10 year" type of event. Moreover, other players have all mentioned that they haven't been able to find any major tenants to fill potential towers (i.e. Katz group being very public about it)

Comment

The City should look into re-using the old Remand Centre if possible. It was brought up as a suggestion by Glenn Ostrosky, an Edmonton Journal commenter who usually has some pretty wacky opinions, but I think this idea has some merit. It's central, it would add some (normaler) life to the area, particularly the park immediately to the north which is currently sketchy as hell, facilitate revitalization in the area, and it would be way cheaper to re-furbish an existing building rather than build a new one. The only problem is that it might not have enough space for all City employees. And yeah, it's pretty ugly, but it doesn't appear to be in bad shape and would be a good challenge for an architect.

Comment

Implosion is the best thing to do with that building.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
                Implosion is the best thing to do with that building.
                In a perfect world, yes, but with the realities of tight budgets, politics, and the environment, re-use should still be considered.

Comment

^although how much would it cost to retrofit. Could it be just as costly?

Comment

Originally posted by Municipal Man of Mystery View Post
                    The City should look into re-using the old Remand Centre if possible. It was brought up as a suggestion by Glenn Ostrosky, an Edmonton Journal commenter who usually has some pretty wacky opinions, but I think this idea has some merit. It's central, it would add some (normaler) life to the area, particularly the park immediately to the north which is currently sketchy as hell, facilitate revitalization in the area, and it would be way cheaper to re-furbish an existing building rather than build a new one. The only problem is that it might not have enough space for all City employees. And yeah, it's pretty ugly, but it doesn't appear to be in bad shape and would be a good challenge for an architect.

Good Gawd the 70s called...they want that kind of thinking back lol!!!

Jesus!

Comment

Inappropriate for the required use and space.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                        Inappropriate for the required use and space.
                        Remand is a probable location of an elevated passenger rail station over top of 97 Street with the entrance on the new Royal Alberta Museum side.

Unfinished LRT station is in the basement of Brownless.

Comment

I'm hoping that they go into an existing building...let's tighten up the vacancy rate before we go building new buildings.

Comment

Now a quick question though. Is there any office building in the core that has enough space for all the office requirements in one building?

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                              Now a quick question though. Is there any office building in the core that has enough space for all the office requirements in one building?
                              No. They want expansion space. They do not want to get stuck without that option on their lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X