Old Dental Pharmacy Building U of A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Dental Pharmacy Building U of A

Over the past 4 months, I was involved in the relocation of several offices and labs from this building to Edmonton Clinic Health Academy and to the Katz building. Several "ideas and rumors" abound about this structure. Since it is one of the original buildings at the U, I hoping it doesn't see the fate of so many other architectural gems in this city. I have heard it will be demolished.Info anyone?
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Well I'm not certain which building it is, although based off of my google search and what I see of the building, I don't think they will demolish that it. Considering how it seems that the U of A is pretty good at wanting to keep older buildings I don't think they would be considering tearing the building down unless there was significant structural problems.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

My understanding -- and I could be misinformed -- was that the old Admin building was to be demolished, with its staff being moved into a renovated Dent/Pharm.

I'd prefer to keep both buildings, but Dent/Pharm is an absolute must-preserve.
      “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Now that I can see happening. Completely reno the Dent/Pharm then move Admin there. Actually I seem to remember a plan that had the Quad extend over where the Admin building is now to connect to the main pedestrian area.

Comment

Dent/Pharm is going nowhere. Among other things it also houses the slowepoke reactor.

Admin is currently marked for demolition as part of the plan to open quad and add to it's grandeur.
          LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

There's a later addition to the back of den-pharm, that part was considered for removal. The plan has always been to keep the old building.

Comment

I too have heard the same rumors about it.

The Dent/Pharm building does have some nice architecture, but the inside of it needs some love. The interior isn't designed well, in that in order to get to some parts of the building, you have to sometimes go into the entrance on the back, going in through the main doors won't always have a way to get to those same areas.

Not to mention, there are some areas, that are just old, and need to be redone.

Comment

So that's where it would make sense that once all the actual Dental and Pharm facilities are moved they can probably renovate like crazy until it's how they want it to be and then move admin into the building.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC View Post
                  Dent/Pharm is going nowhere. Among other things it also houses the slowepoke reactor.

Admin is currently marked for demolition as part of the plan to open quad and add to it's grandeur.
                  What is the slowpoke reactor?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Just to clarify, the building sits directly N of the transit center at the U of A. All I know of it is that the rear of the building was additions in the late 40's for various surgical suites and labs most of which i removed during last Summer and Fall. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.
                    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Comment

The admin building is to be demolished to open up quad and create a new entrance to the University.

The Dent/Pharm just went through a RFP and will be fully renovated as I understand it.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by workworkwork View Post

Thanks.

The SLOWPOKE (acronym for Safe Low-Power Kritical Experiment) is a low-energy, pool-type nuclear research reactor designed by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) in the late 1960s. John W. Hilborn (now retired from AECL) is the scientist most closely associated with its design. It is beryllium-reflected with a very low critical mass but provides neutron fluxes higher than available from a small particle accelerator or other radioactive sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLOWPOKE_reactor

http://www.ualberta.ca/~slowpoke/

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                          Originally posted by workworkwork View Post

Thanks.

The SLOWPOKE (acronym for Safe Low-Power Kritical Experiment) is a low-energy, pool-type nuclear research reactor designed by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) in the late 1960s. John W. Hilborn (now retired from AECL) is the scientist most closely associated with its design. It is beryllium-reflected with a very low critical mass but provides neutron fluxes higher than available from a small particle accelerator or other radioactive sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLOWPOKE_reactor

http://www.ualberta.ca/~slowpoke/
                          So cool. I still have no idea what it does, but whatever it is, it sounds badass.

Comment

I was unaware of the decision to demolish Admin & open up Quad, and I am glad to hear it!
                            I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Dent Pharm

The Building will be core and shell gutted in phases and redone. Stantec was awarded the project.

U of A Description from late last year:
                              "The University has determined it prefers two floors maximum of wet lab capability in the north tower, mixed use occupancy, a distributed mechanical ventilation system based on a compartmental style concept, changing of the existing LRT entrance on the south side of facility (no preferred preference at this time for the location), closing in of the courtyards with a clearstory option"

Comment

Working...
                              X