City Centre Mall | Renovation |

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Centre Mall | Renovation |

I heard today the food court in City Centre East (the big one) is going to be removed and this is to facilitate a connection with the lrt to the new arena development. There will be a new food court built in the new arena development. It makes perfect sense as several vacancies in the bottom floor area have not been filled.

Second big rumour about City Centre I have heard recently.. lots of vacancies in ECC East seem to not be getting filled on multiple floors. Hope the new food court isn't as closed off and stuck in a basement somewhere like the current one. Also, I wonder the timelines??
    Hopefully we see a more complete reno of ECC.. especially the horrible exteriors and lack of street interaction.
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Comment

It sounds like it is going to be pretty massive. I assume the new food court will be above grade which will be much more attractive. It appears the food court will be used during games and events; and also will be open during the day as well.

Comment

Sounds like BS to me, because all that doesn't even make a whit of sense.

Originally posted by CitySlicker View Post
        I heard today the food court in City Centre East (the big one) is going to be removed and this is to facilitate a connection with the lrt to the new arena development.
        Connection with which LRT line?

The current LRT line? There's already an underground connection to the mall.

The new NAIT line? The one that will run NW from Churchill station under the new EPCOR tower and above ground to Grant Mac? This line will be no where near the mall. Unless they plan on building a 2-block long underground pedway.

The downtown connector on 102 Ave? It will be a street-level line, why would they need an underground entrance? Plus it doesn't really go by the new arena.

There will be a new food court built in the new arena development. It makes perfect sense as several vacancies in the bottom floor area have not been filled.
        Are you saying they are going to move the food court from City Centre East to a building that is over 2 blocks away? What are they going to do, build a massive pedway tunnel under 101 St?

And who is going to build all this? Oxford? Katz group? The city?
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

LRT Hallway to Churchill Station! They are not building a new line I am sure! At best they might have a people mover. Likely will just be a hallway to new arena development.

Comment

Sorry, but replacing the food court with a massive pedway connector between Churchill station and the arena still doesn't make any sense.

Another reason why this could be BS is because this defeats one of the goals of the downtown revitalization initiatives, which is to have more people on the street instead of pedways...an initiative that the arena development has bought into for the most part.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

This idea could have many possibilities. I want to hear more.

Comment

This rumour would make a lot more sense if it was City Center West...

Also - SDM - Macewan station will be pretty close to CCW... (as close as any of the other near by stations)
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

So who is going to build this underground pedway?

Oxford? They couldn't be bothered to build a proper underground ped link across the street from CCE to CCW....there's still just the rinky-dink narrow tunnel with a narrow stairway and escalator.
                  The City?
                  Katz?

Wait...is this Mandel's shocking announcement?

Comment

I would agree City Centre West may appear to make more sense. But this is what a person who works in City Centre said to me.

Comment

He was referencing what was going on with the leases in the east food court.

Comment

I imagine, if/when the Arena District announcement is finalized, that City Centre Mall will be going through some kind of renovation/upgrade.
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

He was referencing what was going on with the leases in the east food court.
                          And that's the other thing...last I saw, the only vacancies in the lower CC East is the long-dormant Arbys (not exactly a prime spot, under the staircase) and the just-closed Orange Julius. Where are all these other vacancies down there? If anything, the mall has more trouble filling the CC West lower level.

Comment

A big vacancy right next to KFC and also just across from KFC. Another one two doors down from Grand + Toy.

Comment

That's a really dumb place to start a pedway from. Also, it seems premature to start a tunnel to an arena that doesn't even have funding in place.
                              $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Working...
                              X