Telus World of Science "Aurora Project"| Expansion | U/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
    In a perfect world they'd tear down the current expansion and have Douglas Cardinal design something that works with the original building.
    This! We can dream.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

In a perfect world they'd tear down the current expansion and have Douglas Cardinal design something that works with the original building.
      I would agree, the addition rally ruined the building, Cardinal is not exactly known for using straight lines much. He loves swoopy curves. The original plans for the Space Sciences Center looked even better, but alas way more expensive.
      http://www.djcarchitect.com/portfoli...ntonspace.html

Comment

I find that many science centres have lost their role in modern cities. For the most part, they feel like a vestage of the post WWII expo craze. I think the Telus World of Science needs rethink its purpose and strategy (including its location).

Comment

I find this all very hilarious.

Nobody thinks twice about TWOS until an expansion (a good thing) is announced, then everybody complains that TWOS (an Edmonton icon) is in a bad area and should be moved. There has been barely any mention of the actual expansion project in this thread because everybody is too busy spouting about their utopian, "if I had my way" grandoise visions of what's the best course of action for this facility.

This is one of those important buildings in our city. Moving it, tearing it down, or doing anything to harm it is absolutely unacceptable. Move on. The expansion is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they incorporate the old planetarium (which also should not be moved/destroyed/etc.) Just use it.

Comment

Originally posted by albicaulis View Post
            I find that many science centres have lost their role in modern cities. For the most part, they feel like a vestage of the post WWII expo craze. I think the Telus World of Science needs rethink its purpose and strategy (including its location).
            I might agree with that if weren't for the fact that TWoS seems to have decent numbers of people every time I've been there. My kids love the place and it's a regular stop for us.

If they do expand what I would like is more hands on exhibits. A mandatory stop for me when I visit San Francisco is the Exploratorium. If TWoS added even a fraction of what the Exploratorium has it would be amazing.

I don't see any need to change the location but I do hope any expansion is integrated better with the existing structure. I'm also leery of eating up more of Coronation Park.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Wasn't it the same Cohos monkey that did the expansion that also did Hall D? Nuff said.
              [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

Its much needed! When I solved the murder back in grade 6, I shouldnt come back at 22 to find out the same guy murdered again! lol
                youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I think that TWOS is in a great location. Not everything needs to be downtown.

That being said, the original building is iconic. There's no mistaking it for something else. The butt ugly expansion tacked onto the side was a major mistake. This is an opportunity to correct a past mistake rather than add to it. One large expansion that would replace the past one as well as add new space in a way that works with and complements the original building.

It's a similar situation to the Hall D fiasco at the Shaw.

Comment

This is an opportunity to correct a past mistake rather than add to it.
                    But they are adding onto it. Not replacing it.

Comment

Which is simply going to compound the problem of an ill conceived expansion tacked onto a building with no concern for the original structure.

As I said, it's an opportunity...

Comment

I hope Edmonton learns from Calgary's experience in this. There's been a huge uproar here over the new membership fees, which have skyrocketed for Calgary families. We used to pay $130/year for family membership, $150/year to add unlimited dome movies to the package. The new Telus Spark science centre has eliminated Family Memberships altogether, and gone to a per-person fee structure, with two levels: "green" and "gold". A family of 4 now pays $204/year for green, and it includes nothing but basic admission--no discounts on movies or camps/classes, etc. A family of 6 now pays $288 for green's basic admission. Gold membership, which has the same benefits package as Edmonton's $135/year family membership, now costs a family of 4 $320/year, and a family of 6 $460/year...and even on gold you'll only get a 'discount' on movies. No freebees.

Oh, and BTW, those of you with an Edmonton membership can come see the new Telus Spark for free, due to the ASTC 'reciprocal admission' agreement between science centres in North America. Do let us Calgarians know how it is; many of us can no longer afford memberships. We'd love to do the same, of course--buying an Edmonton membership--but there's a clause in the ASTC agreement that you cannot live within 150kms of the science centre you wish to visit using the reciprocal admission agreement.

Do what you can proactively to ensure your new expanded science centre remains accessible to Edmontonians. It'll give you one more thing to gloat over in the Calgary vs. Edmonton battle, too!

Comment

Wow! Those are some steep increases. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I just now had a look at the plans for the expansion and I do really like what I see. Anyone hear of any other timeframe for this project to be started/completed?

I think one thing that I didn't see in the renders but I think would be nice is some exhibits/statues/monuments/etc... outside of the building that could draw more people. Maybe a small replica moonscape with a replica of the moon lander or something like that.
                            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                              ... Maybe a small replica moonscape with a replica of the moon lander or something like that.
                              Just go downtown with all the gravel parking lots

But seriously if you did a kids playground use grey sand you could have a moon lander as playground equipment.
                              Last edited by sundance; 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/loc...h-you-edmonton

So, it sounds like the first phase of the expansion (15,000 square feet) needs to go ahead to accommodate next years Star Wars exhibit. Pending $3.5 million from the province.

Must be a design done somewhere?

Only can find a vague concept here.
                                http://www.whiteoakassoc.com/Acorns-Updates.html

Comment

Working...
                                X