GMCC Robbins Health Learning Center | Educational | Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMCC Robbins Health Learning Center | Educational | Completed

I figured since the project has now kicked off, we should have a thread to track its progress.

The two cranes went up this past weekend and look great when driving down 104ave.

This project will really tie in the edge of downtown and make 104ave/109st a reallyt great looking intersection.

I will try to get some pictures by next weekend.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

This project will really tie in the edge of downtown and make 104ave/109st a reallyt great looking intersection.
    I could not agree more. This area has come a long way since the rathole and the 105th street bridge....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

From Edmonton Sun's Hicks on Six column:

MACEWAN GROWS

MacEwan college (once Grant MacEwan College) is steaming ahead with mega-projects.

Expect an announcement later this year on a major tract of land on the south side, likely close to Henday Drive, for MacEwan's future south campus.

Downtown, MacEwan should have a major, fully equipped, brand new centre for the arts, immediately west of where the $50- million Robbins' Health Learning Centre is sprouting out of the ground.

Everything's still conceptual - the $40 million to $50 million still has to come from somewhere - but the arts centre will be the next, and likely last, major building downtown.

"It's no secret our plan is to consolidate," says MacEwan president Paul Byrne, "from our current seven campuses (three leased, four owned) to the downtown and a campus on the south side.
      Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Wel I've seen the construction start and I'm very excited of the new look it will bring to that part of the downtown. Does anyone know the time frame of the new building? With that building being there next to the parkade and the student residences, its a perfect location. There are now only one issue I have. Parking. Even with the expansion that was done to the parkade the new building will put a strain on parking spaces. Has anyone heard anything about adding more parking (maybe more levels or a new parkade?)
        LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Nice to see cranes in the sky over MacEwan

Parking will continue to be a strain for a while at the City Centre Campus of MacEwan. There are no immediate plans for another parkade.

The U of A and MacEwan are (rightly!) strongly behind the U-Pass concept. This concept will see more transit service to campuses and will help with the strain of parking.

However, for U-pass to work ETS and City Council still have some issues to work out, namely money. (Doesn't it always come down to that?)

Parking permits for all MacEwan campuses will go up in the fall. These revisions were scheduled for fall 2005 but were delayed, in part because of the Robbins Health Learning Centre.

The $55 million Robbins Health Learning Centre will be opening in the summer of 2007. The RHLC will bring an additional 2000 students and 300 staff members to the City Centre Campus!

Moreover, I know I am in the minority but I do miss the “Rat Hole” it was fun to drive through it.

I do not miss the flooding and the merging into one lane (especially during rush hour) but I do miss the uniqueness that was the “Rat Hole”. RIP.

Comment

I too miss the Rat Hole...then I look at how easy I can drive on 109 and I don't miss it so much. More of a missing quirk or unique painting that I liked but really didn't belong.

As for U-Pass, as a former student once upon a time, I am not fully understanding how "hard" it is to get a bus pass. Transit is already heavily subsidized, and student passes are rather affordable (at least they were the smallest concern when I was at the U), so I fail to see why I need to subsidise this more. I'd rather give my tax money to expand research and the like.

This U Pass just seems misplaced to me. Transit is really really really really cheap here. Maybe I am just turing into a crusty person on the verge of a mid-life crisis.
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Well, I'm a student at the U of A right now and I pay close to $5000 tuition. Bus passes right now are about $54 a month which amounts to $432 for 8 months of university. Sometimes I drive to my classes and if I park on campus an entire day that's an extra $10, but I try not to do that too often. I think the U-Pass would need us to pay $240 in mandatory fees which is about half of regular transit fees. It's a good thing I graduate this semester so I won't have to worry about this as much

Comment

Great to See MacEwan continuing to expand.

If there's one thing I would like them see do is really push a Music Conservatory. Alberta College gave them a great start and this city really needs a National quality conservatory to pump out performers. The UofA has a decent music department, but it is heavily focused on theory, etc.
                LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

im curious to see the new "FINE ARTS" building which is rumoured to have a rather decently sized concert hall...

Comment

I just wish they would continue to massively expand downtown. I would like to see a few other buildings go up downtown and add more population day and night to the area.

Comment

Originally posted by WMelhem
                      I just wish they would continue to massively expand downtown. I would like to see a few other buildings go up downtown and add more population day and night to the area.
                      wait and you shall receive....

Comment

FYI...At this time, there is no design done for the Performing Arts building.
                        Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well there should be a few things done when they design a performing arts building. First and formost why not consult members of the performing arts community. But I don't just mean the actors and musicians and dancers but how about the technicians that are behind the scenes. I was a student a number of years ago taking the theater production course at GMCC and it was a great program but in a theater (Haar and theater lab) that was not exactly the best designed.
                          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

they were installing the mainfloor curtain wall glass today at lunch....mmm mikado.

Comment

they are hard at work. 1 crane left. i've heard that they will start to pour the West building (past 110street) soon.
                              Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X