West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

...starting this spring, Edmonton’s best-known tourist attraction and biggest shopping centre will undergo a multimillion-dollar facelift, West Edmonton Mall president and CEO Don Ghermezian said Thursday.

“You’re going to see a major redevelopment at West Edmonton Mall, commencing March and April of this year,” Ghermezian said.

“It will be through all of Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, and it will be a major, major redevelopment of the shopping centre.

“You’ll see new ceilings, flooring, handrails, column treatments, bulkheads, fountains, soft-seating areas, bathrooms, entrances, pylons — a very extensive state-of-the-art retrofit and remodel.”

Renovations expected to last 18 to 24 months will give the mall a “very modern, sophisticated and elegant” appearance, Ghermezian said.

“It will not look like any other shopping centre in town. Quite frankly, I don’t think it will look like any shopping centre in Canada.”

Ghermezian could not give an exact price tag for the redevelopment, but said the project would cost “tens of millions.”
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-01-2011, 11:33 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Great news, I hope they provide some renderings some time soon.

Comment

I hope it involves exterior renos.
      $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

West Edmonton Mall still attracts top retailers, but I think a 21st-Century look would be great. The food courts look dirty, and the last renovations were Phase IV with Silver City.

WEM will always be known as the Disneyland of shopping malls, but it can't rest on its laurels.
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Well remember there was also a reno not too long ago in the original food court, so I don't think they will be touching that one too much.

I definitely look forward to seeing some renderings.
          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

I believe that the facelifts will be done inside but not outside.
            Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Not a minute to soon. Let's hope all the mirrors are gone.
              Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

good news, about time

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

This is fantastic news.

WEM is getting to look pretty depressing. It sounds like they want to class the place up a bit.

Comment

Classing it up would be to bring back Planet Hollywood, more brass, and putting the exotic birds back.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                      Classing it up would be to bring back Planet Hollywood, more brass, and putting the exotic birds back.
                      Plan on installing a time machine do we? They could also pipe in Bette Davis Eye's back into to malls muzak system (as per the article) and don't forget the bear cubs in phase one by Eatons! Oh they can bring back Eatons while they are at it!

Jagators63 the Journal said they were going to redo the entrances so some of the exterior looks to be redone.

But obviously a very warm place must have frozen over for Triple5 to announce this. With the Simons store coming in it seemed to be some sort of catalyst for change. The bits about new waterslides and rides are great for the tourist crowds but the vast majority of Edmontonians just want all the clutter, mirrors, and ugly biege brick to go away.

Time will tell if it is a real reno on the scale of Kingsway or Southgate or just more band aids to cover up the scabs.

Comment

The flamingoes are in Winnipeg for breeding. Not sure if they are supposed to be coming back.

My dream Reno would be for them to bury all the parking and cover it with landscaping (and redo the exterior).
                        $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Plans released!!!

(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_brnecDhHHA.../Picture+1.jpg)

Comment

Originally posted by iano View Post
                            lmfao!!!!

Comment

you know, for a mall that is 30 years old and had minimal renovations done to it, it doesn't look too bad. I mean, it could be worse. I think its saving grace is all the natural light that gets into it during the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X