East Whyte Ave. Retail (past the tracks) | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    moahunter, trains still use the track; I was stopped by one backing up just yesterday.

As Edmcowboy11 pointed out, that void is a big problem, but it'll be solved when that condo goes in on the South side of Whyte (yeah, that was a joke). The parking lot of PadThai doesn't help it either, and that place is now closed (someone told me the building was going to come down, but I don't think that's reliable info). The buildings on East Whyte are smaller as well - nothing over 2 storeys that I can think of, and you have that horrible strip mall. I know that people on C2E are big fans of retail being right up to the sidewalk, and East Whyte is an example of why that is; the place looks a bit empty because of some of the parking lots.

Gord
    sorry Gord, which strip mall are you referring too; Whyte Mill Square?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
      I love the railway crossing itself, it adds character and is necessary to maintain the history of the caboose and stations themselves, but can't they close off the tracks over by Ironhorse or even further south? There's no businesses that utilize the tracks that far north. Pad Thai parking lot is definitely a sore spot, as is the lot north of Whyte between the Strat and the Mac's.

Whyte is all about density, and as soon as that density stops, so does the foot traffic. I'd love to see the strip grow all the way to 99st. I suppose if Empress spent some money and refaced that building and make that patio a stellar destination, it would do a lot to get people down that far.
      The few times I've been to The Empress it seemed to be doing rather well and didn't look like it needed to pour a lot into renovations, but then again it's 'new' to me (in that I've been back 7 mos and kinda didn't know the bar was there beforehand).

Indeed, the building/parking lot that's presently occupied by the Thai place is unfortunate. After the visual disruption of train tracks, having a (relatively) large street-facing parking lot doesn't do much to encourage curious strollers to cross the tracks and keep exploring. Gladly this hasn't hindered new merchants from setting up shop on the 103-99st side. Come to think of it, seeing Whyte Ave. jump the tracks was another one of my personal "Edmonton has improved" happy return realizatons.
      Last edited by Dialog; 26-07-2010, 07:47 PM.
      I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
        That's the one! The people hanging around outside H2O never look welcoming, and I've heard you can get various weapons in "Joy's Lucky 7 Food Store," though I've never been inside to verify it.
        They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

That's the one! The people hanging around outside H2O never look welcoming, and I've heard you can get various weapons in "Joy's Lucky 7 Food Store," though I've never been inside to verify it.
          H2O has never really had 'welcoming' clientele...

Comment

That strip mall has to be one of the worst in Edmonton, if not Canada! I can't imagine who would lease the space next to H2O since Alternative Video moved to its new location (as Videodrome). It really is unpleasant to walk by H2O. Unfortunately, I don't see what can be done to change that mall.

That being said, I certainly agree that East Whyte is far more appealing today than it was even three years ago.
            Almost always open to debate...

Comment

Originally posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
              That being said, I certainly agree that East Whyte is far more appealing today than it was even three years ago.
              I think having Warp One near 99st helps. They are a draw for a lot of people and must encourage some reluctants to cross the tracks.
              I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

1) yes, H20 has a sketchy clientele, but if that bar closes they will just move west
                2) yes, that convenience store does sell drug paraphenalia and "decorative" weapons (yet there was no newspaper article about it or even a mention in the one about the 118th ave one)
                3) that parking lot is worse than the Pad Thai one, in my opinion.
                4) rip out the tracks, put in a decorative crossing to preserve some historical significance and BUILD SOMETHING OVER THAT HORRIBLE PARKING LOT. Although I do realize that the AB Gov is holding that for the HSR so that's not going to happen.
                5) that park space north of Ironhorse is just as detrimental, if not more, than the tracks next to it since it is always home to the less fortunate sleeping on benches, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                  H2O has never really had 'welcoming' clientele...
                  When I used to run Blues on Whyte the customers I had banned from the Commercial (for all kinds of very good reasons) ended up there. Consequently I was not very welcome in that establishment at the time, which didn't bother me.
                  aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Walked Whyte Ave from 109 St to 99 St and back.

It's nice to see more people walking East Whyte than before, but hardly the same pedestrian traffic as across the tracks.

I hope the new Roots building helps bring people across Gateway Blvd, but something needs to replace that used Toyota lot across from it.

There are other barriers that keeps East Whyte from thriving...the used car lots, the auto shops, that half-empty strip mall with H2O lounge, the sketchy riff-raff loitering in front of that strip mall who hassle passersby, the dead Shell station, and the fire to Langano Skies building.

I would like to see more places on East Whyte actually stay open on Sundays, although that's likely a chicken-and-egg thing (needs more ped traffic to stay open, ped traffic stays away if nothing's open).

While I don't want to see East Whyte overrun with multinational chains, it would help seeing at least one Starbucks or Second Cup on it, and maybe a resto like Earls.
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

The tracks and the block between 103 and 102 is the biggest problem I think. The Roots building should help but what they need is two or three buildings on the north side of the ave in the section I mentioned.
                      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

As recently as a year or two ago, CPR was running trains back and forth just across Whyte Avenue to assert its right of way.

Railway rights of way are, I believe, a federal matter -- or provincial, perhaps: at any rate, they're beyond municipal purview.

I don't think anything can be done by the city to plug the hole between 102 and 103 the way things stand.

PS. Oops, the same point has already been made above a few times. I've pretty well duplicated #4, #9, and #10. Sorry for the repetition.
                        Last edited by alex69; 29-05-2011, 10:21 PM. Reason: Added ps

Comment

^Which is so stupid. Those tracks should end at about 80ave and torn up (keep the crossing on the street, it adds character) so new development can go right up against the old stations.
                          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I would prefer that the track be kept. Then expand the High Level Bridge streetcar to a mini-terminal at Whyte Ave.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                              While I don't want to see East Whyte overrun with multinational chains, it would help seeing at least one Starbucks or Second Cup on it, and maybe a resto like Earls.
                              Drop by Luzzara, just West of 100st for coffee. I don't drink the stuff, but people rave about the shop.

Earls was on Whyte where Humpty's is now.

Too bad you didn't walk Whyte yesterday - the "East Whyte block party" was on. Lots of businesses with specials, and they closed off 100st. Hardcore Bikes were doing some awesome demos, the roller-derby girls were there, and people were having fun.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                                Drop by Luzzara, just West of 100st for coffee. I don't drink the stuff, but people rave about the shop.
                                You miss my point...which is to draw the sheeple across the tracks by using some name recognition.

Earls was on Whyte where Humpty's is now.
                                That was on the other side of the Mill Creek bridge...not really what's considered part of the East Whyte strip, which ends at 99 St.

Too bad you didn't walk Whyte yesterday - the "East Whyte block party" was on. Lots of businesses with specials, and they closed off 100st. Hardcore Bikes were doing some awesome demos, the roller-derby girls were there, and people were having fun.
                                Didn't know about it until I read about it on CHED's website after the fact. More of this city's masterful strokes of marketing brilliance.

Comment

Working...
                                X