Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9955 Jasper Tower | 184.7m | 55 floors | Approved

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 9955 Jasper Tower | 184.7m | 55 floors | Approved

    I just noticed a sign by Procura on Jasper Ave right in front of the MacDonald Hotel. They show a fine looking building with the hotel to the immediate right. Does this mean that they are going to demolish that apartment tower? The sign says naming rights available. Does that mean this project going ahead or has that sign been there for a while (it sure looks new). I looked at the thread for construction projects but couldn't find this building on it.

  • #2
    Does anyone have a picture? I heard about this on SSP already, but I have no idea what it looks like. I haven't been by the Hotel Mac in a while.
    ----

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Voice View Post
      I just noticed a sign by Procura on Jasper Ave right in front of the MacDonald Hotel. They show a fine looking building with the hotel to the immediate right. Does this mean that they are going to demolish that apartment tower? The sign says naming rights available. Does that mean this project going ahead or has that sign been there for a while (it sure looks new). I looked at the thread for construction projects but couldn't find this building on it.
      Are you talking about the CDI College building?
      Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
        Does anyone have a picture? I heard about this on SSP already, but I have no idea what it looks like. I haven't been by the Hotel Mac in a while.
        Care to send us the link/info from SSP? I would like to read up on it at least.

        Comment


        • #5
          As per Jasper and one o nin on SSP:

          Comment


          • #6
            i guess i missed those photos but here's the link etown - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ighlight=hotel

            http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ighlight=hotel
            ----

            Comment


            • #7
              I think I'd make the bottom floors complement the Hotel MacDonald, something like Banker's Hall in Calgary. Still, it would really be a hit for downtown Edmonton, and the hotel/tower would be right in the middle of the Arts District, the Shaw Conference Centre, among other amenities. Something like this would get more major conventions for Edmonton, especially with the addition of the hotel rooms.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

              Comment


              • #8
                This looks amazing... the demolition of the current building would be interesting to be sure. Being set back from the street it would also appear to fit in with the city's Jasper Avenue redevelopment plan. It seems a little out of the blue, although if I remember correctly there were some similar plans back in the 80s (?) In any case, I'm glad to hear Procura is involved.
                "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  The speculation on SSP is that this sign is meant more to help push Procura's case for a land swap, as the city is interested in retaining this pocket park.

                  Also, it doesn't look like this would encompass the existing tower lands to the west.
                  Strathcona City Separatist

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Guys guys guys, this is not replacing the soviet apartment block but would be on the pocket park in front of the hotel that is beloved by so many. Procura OWNS this land and has the rights to develop it as they see fit. I am still of the belief that Procura will do a land swap with the city or have this site bought by the city to retain the park. Additionally, i think this development will go on the jasper and 103st site they also own.


                    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by IanO View Post
                      Guys guys guys, this is not replacing the soviet apartment block but would be on the pocket park in front of the hotel that is beloved by so many. Procura OWNS this land and has the rights to develop it as they see fit. I am still of the belief that Procura will do a land swap with the city or have this site bought by the city to retain the park. Additionally, i think this development will go on the jasper and 103st site they also own.
                      That's what I was thinking... just by the image alone, you can tell it is right on the corner. Honestly, I would be okay if this park was redeveloped. I never really see anyone using it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^ I'm sure things can be done to make the park more attractive to people, but the real purpose of it is to give the Mac lots of visibility and prominence. It deserves better than to be boxed in and rendered nearly invisible from our main Avenue.
                        Strathcona City Separatist

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RTA View Post
                          ^ I'm sure things can be done to make the park more attractive to people, but the real purpose of it is to give the Mac lots of visibility and prominence. It deserves better than to be boxed in.
                          It's a nice little park, but other than the hotel, it's not a great location. The river valley is, after all, RIGHT THERE!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RTA View Post
                            ^ I'm sure things can be done to make the park more attractive to people, but the real purpose of it is to give the Mac lots of visibility and prominence. It deserves better than to be boxed in.
                            100% bingo and while people might not be in that park all of the time, i think many of us love the fact it is there and brings some civility and nature to the downtown core.

                            This park should be preserved for various reasons.

                            We have far too many other sites downtown, including 2-3 procura already owns, to develop office towers.


                            Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ^^ True, but the offices and hotels are also right there, on the park, in a prominent location with lots of visibility and opportunities for peoplewatching. We can make it work.
                              Strathcona City Separatist

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X