No announcement yet.

UCAMA | Ukrainian Museum | Under Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On that note I do agree but in another way I still want to see that part of Jasper Ave developed.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

See this announcement at http://www.buildingcanada-chantiersc...onton-eng.html

Canada and Alberta Announce the Relocation of the Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum

Edmonton, Alberta, November 6, 2010 – The Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum of Alberta (UCAMA) will soon find a new home to better display its gallery of artifacts, create permanent interpretive exhibit space, develop public programming, expand its collection as well as maintain a library and archives.

The Honourable Rob Merrifield, Minister of State (Transport), along with Paul Teterenko, President, UCAMA announced today joint federal-provincial funding of $6.25 million toward the relocation of the UCAMA in Edmonton.

The new location entails the renovation and conversion of the historic Lodge Hotel in Edmonton into a museum, archives, and library facility. The museum will showcase Ukrainian culture throughout western Canadian communities. UCAMA is a not-for-profit society devoted to the preservation of Ukrainian Canadian history and culture.

“I am proud to be here today to announce our government’s support for the new Ukrainian Canadian Archives and Museum,” said Minister Merrifield. “This is an important cultural infrastructure initiative that will showcase and celebrate Ukrainian culture, such an important facet of western Canadian history.”

“This support is a welcome step towards our goal of creating a museum that not only preserves our past into the future, but strengthens the cultural and economic vibrancy of Edmonton’s downtown,” said UCAMA president Paul Teterenko. “When built, the new facility will ensure the survival of an important collection that documents the history and contribution Ukrainians have made to Alberta and Canada.”

Federal funding for this initiative will come from the Provincial-Territorial Base Fund, conditional upon the initiative meeting program requirements as part of a provincial Capital Plan under this program. The Provincial-Territorial Base Fund is part of the Building Canada plan and is providing $175 million to each province and territory to address infrastructure priorities. Under this program, federal funding flows based on approved provincial/territorial Capital Plans and not individual initiatives. When matched by the provinces and territories, the Provincial-Territorial Base Fund will invest at least $4.5 billion in infrastructure across the country.

Since the launch of the Economic Action Plan, approximately $10.7 billion has been committed through Infrastructure Canada’s programs toward more than 6,100 projects. Along with contributions from other partners such as provinces, territories and municipalities, this represents a total investment of over $30 billion.

For more information on federal infrastructure investments, visit www.buildingcanada.gc.ca.

Robert Lynch
      Office of the Minister of State (Transport)
      613-990-9573

Infrastructure Canada
      613-948-1148
      OR Toll-free
      1-877-250-7154

Paul Teterenko
      President UCAMA
      780-953-6348

Comment

^ About time the feds pulled through! The location has been covered in scaffolding for too long.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Hopefully now this project will start to move forward again. With luck this will further help spur other developments such as the rumoured hotel nearby. I will be so glad to see the museum building and just down the block, the Alberta Hotel building both up and running and adding further positive activity to this part of the downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            ^ About time the feds pulled through! The location has been covered in scaffolding for too long.
            Not scaffolding so much as a structural skeleton to ensure the facade was stabilized.

Very very good news between this and the Alberta Hotel.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

It seems to me that this is a pretty massive project... after receiving this grant from the Feds, do they have the money to complete the project? Or will it continue to sit and wait for more funding?

Comment

Great funding news, hopefully progress will follow rapidly
                (Could this be a subtle "I'm sorry " for the National Portrait Gallery fiasco ?)
                Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

I believe they had private donations and 2 orders of gov't ready or close to ready.

Comment

This will hopefully be a nice spark for re-development on east Jasper / Quarters.

I'm no hate-everything-Harper - but I don't think he apologizes for much of anything - so, no, I doubt this is to make good for the Portrait Gallery fiasco.
                    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Is the city giving them anything? I think they should give a small grant.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                        Is the city giving them anything? I think they should give a small grant.
                        Damn well better!!

Comment

I thought this project was as good as dead. Here's hoping this latest injection of funds will get things rolling on this project soon.

Comment

I wonder if the RAM announcement is going to help spark further work on this project. It's been sad to see it leap forward and then come to a grinding halt in regards to construction work. Because of lower building costs, you'd think they would try to get at least some work done and progress a little bit.

Comment

^Let's hope it goes soon for it would be yet another great little addition to the arts area.

Comment

What exactly is the holdup? There was a funding announcement last falll...?
                                I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Working...
                                X