The Arlington | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Your proposal is to create a new zoing. That takes a long time. Could be done quicker with a DC2

Then the land owner plants some grass, big whoop and gets a tax break. Land sits for another 13 years.

Or he says, I don't have money to make a park. I will leave it as is, and since I own the land, there is nothing you can do to force me to fix it up as long as I pay the minimal tax.

Have another cookie kcantor

Take a nap
    yes, my proposal would require a new zoning, something which could be done in less time than a dc2 (which is also a new zoning) as there would be no vertical development to be dealt with, no sun shadows, no parking etc.

furthermore, my proposal is totally within the purview of the city of edmonton.

yours on the other hand would require the province to amend the municipal government to even allow the city to pursue it. any guesses as to how many decades that will take?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• But what is the result. The land underutilized for another decade? Where is the buy in from the landholders if he does not want a DC2?
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

But what is the result. The land underutilized for another decade? Where is the buy in from the landholders if he does not want a DC2?
        who said even a dc2 would be required for each individual parcel?

there's no reason this couldn't be done with the existing zoning and administered similar to the city's façade improvement program. in terms of cost and timing, it would be even less expensive than administering the façade improvement project as every single one would only have to meet a single set of predetermined criteria.

not only could the actual zoning for each parcel stay the same as it is now, this wouldn't preclude the ability of the landowner to change the zoning to accommodate future development when the time comes. in the interim, the city - and the public - get something like jasper and 102 or jasper and 100... or maybe even adding semi-permanent pads with power and water for food trucks or kiosks for additional animation (where the user would make their applications and secure their permits directly without even having to involve the landowner who could provide a blanket consent at the commencement of the program).

as for your complaining that "the land would remain underutilized for another decade", (a) i'm not sure how you determined that and (b) you haven't proposed anything that could be implemented any quicker (if at all).

Comment

• Still haven't answered what the buy-in is for land owner?

A tax break when they already pay less for underutilized land?

Isn't that compounding the problem?

You are really calling the kettle black.

You need a glass or warm milk and a long sleep to think of a better idea.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Still haven't answered what the buy-in is for land owner?

A tax break when they already pay less for underutilized land?

Isn't that compounding the problem?

You are really calling the kettle black.

You need a glass or warm milk and a long sleep to think of a better idea.
            yes, the buyin for the owner would likely be a reduction in taxes. the return would be (a) higher values and higher taxes from neighbouring properties and (b) the higher values from those neighbouring properties would increase the development potential of the vacant parcel and also return higher property taxes to the city and offset the abatement.

if the site conditions are improved in the interim and development potential enhanced, isn't that the desired outcome?

and if the outcome short, medium and longterm is the desired one, how is that describing the colour of a kettle?

you need to move past your fixation on milk and cookies and good night's sleep for others and maybe partake of a wee dram or two to calm yourself down.

Comment

• Drinking an old fashioned bourbon thos evening after 2 hours of ballroom dancing classes.

You want to reward an owner of a derelict property who shows no remorse on the condition of his property with tax incentives.

Ok, got it, tax payer funded corporate welfare.

Sounds like a Darrell Katz mini-me...

Comment

• i guess it's pretty hard to see from where you are but if the arlington and the area around it could see the same kind if changes over the next 5 years as the arena crl saw in the last 5 years then i think most people would consider that to be a success.

Comment

• Sooooo you have created an Arlington CRL?

Comment

• i see the old fashioned bourbon last night didn't help with the clarity or understanding this morning.

Comment

• Ah, Edmonton PRT, the master of the Gish Gallop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish_gallop

Comment

• Bullshi!T asymmetry principle...... describes PRT well.
                        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• How come there is no development on this lot for several years now??
                          Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

• The owner has a re-zoning proposal in the works, but it is very quiet of late.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
                              The owner has a re-zoning proposal in the works, but it is very quiet of late.

that's good to hear, hope it does come up with good news.
                              Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

• very quiet as of late? Since 2006?
                                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                                X