Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Arlington | Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    The EDC needs more teeth, more balls and a wider range on the projects they can have a say over. Plain and simple.
    Shameless Urbanophile

    Comment


    • #32
      Bump to top.

      It's tonight.

      Not knowing my way around the college, where exactly is this?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by m0nkyman
        Bump to top.

        It's tonight.

        Not knowing my way around the college, where exactly is this?
        It is in the CN Theatre, Building 5 (so closest to 105 Street). The Theatre is on the main floor and is clearly marked!

        Does this help? If not let me know as I can help (I am an alumnus of MacEwan and was on Students' Council last year so I know all the campuses VERY well.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by m0nkyman
          Bump to top.

          It's tonight.

          Not knowing my way around the college, where exactly is this?

          GO EAST YOUNG MAN....CN theatre on the 105st side.


          Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

          Comment


          • #35
            did anybody go? any interesting news?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by amanzano
              did anybody go? any interesting news?
              I went that presentation last night.

              The Arlington was, well.....meh and horrible in parts. To be specific, the front looks a bit meh, although the balconies are actually curved. The back was horrible. The white parts will be made of stucco - ugh. In a nutshell, I don't like that project as much as I thought I would.

              I wasn't the only one from this forum there - DanC, IanO, Onishenko, Monkyman and a few others were there as well.
              Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

              Comment


              • #37
                What is the plan for the Arlington itself. Offices and then Condos above?

                Comment


                • #38
                  A couple big questions.

                  Is the design the same as the one shown earlier in this thread?

                  Are there any concrete time frames announced for construction and opening?
                  LRT is our future, time to push forward.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by MikeK
                    Originally posted by amanzano
                    did anybody go? any interesting news?
                    I went that presentation last night.

                    The Arlington was, well.....meh and horrible in parts. To be specific, the front looks a bit meh, although the balconies are actually curved. The back was horrible. The white parts will be made of stucco - ugh. In a nutshell, I don't like that project as much as I thought I would.

                    I wasn't the only one from this forum there - DanC, IanO, Onishenko, Monkyman and a few others were there as well.
                    Importantly, is what you saw pre or post-EDC?
                    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Dweller
                      What is the plan for the Arlington itself. Offices and then Condos above?
                      The original Arlington is supposed to have the main floor designated for commercial use, while the 2nd floor and up will have luxury condos. I think there's to be about 4-7 condos per floor or something like that in the old building, so each of those will be the range of at least 1000-1200 sq ft.

                      Originally posted by Edmcowboy11
                      A couple big questions.

                      Is the design the same as the one shown earlier in this thread?

                      Are there any concrete time frames announced for construction and opening?
                      Yes, the design shown in the presentation was basically the same as the one posted earlier in this thread. As for construction, I think construction's to start sometimes maybe later this year, assuming if the whole approval process goes as planned.

                      Originally posted by murman
                      Importantly, is what you saw pre or post-EDC?
                      Good question. I honestly don't know for sure. Hopefully the others will know.
                      Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        As i understand it - it has gone to EDC and EDC gave them direction to make changes. The applicant has not yet done this.

                        The point of the meeting was to get public input and gather material that will further guide Planning Dept. directions to the applicants. They then need to make the changes to gain support of the Depatrment, and prove to Council they listened to the EDC, and the public. If they choose not to improve or modify they may have a difficult time gaining approval.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Yup. Design felt very 1995. No provision for affordable housing or LEED.

                          I kind of felt sorry for the architect. He went in all set to defend against NIMBY's complaining about the height, and he instead faced a bunch of people who wanted to see more density, but also more amenities, and an attractive design.

                          That sucker is going to be the poster child for why we need to close the Muni.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by m0nkyman
                            Yup. Design felt very 1995. No provision for affordable housing or LEED.

                            I kind of felt sorry for the architect. He went in all set to defend against NIMBY's complaining about the height, and he instead faced a bunch of people who wanted to see more density, but also more amenities, and an attractive design.

                            That sucker is going to be the poster child for why we need to close the Muni.
                            What change we've brought in the last few years.

                            This is so positive!! No NIMBY's! People WANTING density?!?!? Ahahaha score My faith in the citizens of this city currently bumped to 34%!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              The YIMBY's are gaining ground.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Here is the basic lowdown as I understand it.
                                The building itself isn't awful looking, but once again it is a wide three sided building. The east and west faces are quite narrow and I find them attractive. The south face however is another story and looks almost exactly like the rendering shown here.
                                The building cannot be expanded vertically due to it being on the navcan flight path and no variance is going to be granted...so yea the muni is crapping all over this.
                                Basically I believe the EDC gave them preliminary recommendations to go higher and narrower, but that wasn't possible.
                                However the units in the building are all very large, basically there appears to only be 6 that are in the sub 1000 sq ft range. Also, there is 6 units per floor, which is driving the overall shape of the building.
                                Good news is that there is curtainwall glass, and the building will be actual brick. Bad news is there are certain portions, "the white areas" that will be stucco.

                                I can't say I like the building, and was very underwhelmed by it...there is a chance that there could be some major changes made to the overall design when it hits the EDC again, but I guess time will tell.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X