No announcement yet.

Kingsway Mall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Moc is relocating upstairs next to Jump+ in November.
    Bourbon St Grill is now open - looks like Cajun cuisine.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Any idea what’s with all the parking lot closures on the west side?

Comment

• https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status...81461466472449

Fast fashion chain Forever 21 to close its 44 Canadian stores, which employ about 2,000 people. South of the border, the L.A.-based company files for bankruptcy protection.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
          Any idea what’s with all the parking lot closures on the west side?
          Looks like they are replacing some of the deep utilities. (Water and sewage).

Comment

• I was there this Monday, unfortunately a bit late- I read the website as saying they were closed at 6, but it was actually 5. Not that the mall has much going on lately...

The usual "Post-Chrismas Dead Zone" has afflicted Kingsway, though at least they have neat art covering up all the boarded up locations. Of which there are MANY, and with more to come, as both the card shop (Carlton or Hallmark, I forget) and Bench are done. The card store is kind of a shame, but I was only there for the Disney statuettes they had, and they hadn't upgraded their inventory in FOREVER. My only memory of shopping there was buying one thing at the end of the day, and the poor worker complaining that's what EVERYONE did, because "It's been dead all day, but now it's busy", lol.

I don't think anything's been done in the "Community" room in a year. That was a really bad idea- giving shopkeepers little stalls seems like a great plan, but this was way too out of the way to get food, and I felt weird walking in there to just check things out and then leave- there always seems to be this sense of "you shouldn't just be browsing" in those, I dunno. West Ed having their own version die out seems to be the death-knell for this kind of business plan, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
              I was there this Monday, unfortunately a bit late- I read the website as saying they were closed at 6, but it was actually 5. Not that the mall has much going on lately...

The usual "Post-Chrismas Dead Zone" has afflicted Kingsway, though at least they have neat art covering up all the boarded up locations. Of which there are MANY, and with more to come, as both the card shop (Carlton or Hallmark, I forget) and Bench are done. The card store is kind of a shame, but I was only there for the Disney statuettes they had, and they hadn't upgraded their inventory in FOREVER. My only memory of shopping there was buying one thing at the end of the day, and the poor worker complaining that's what EVERYONE did, because "It's been dead all day, but now it's busy", lol.

I don't think anything's been done in the "Community" room in a year. That was a really bad idea- giving shopkeepers little stalls seems like a great plan, but this was way too out of the way to get food, and I felt weird walking in there to just check things out and then leave- there always seems to be this sense of "you shouldn't just be browsing" in those, I dunno. West Ed having their own version die out seems to be the death-knell for this kind of business plan, unfortunately.
              Brutal days for retail now. I think eventually the owners of many shopping malls are going to have to more closely look at what they charge to retail tenants and adjust it or face a lot more vacancy. The days of malls being cash cows for their owners are over. I think landlords are going to have to be a lot more creative and flexible, in ways many of them are not used to.

I do buy cards occasionally, but seldom in recent years at places like those specialty card shops for reasons of price and convenience, so I am not totally surprised they are closed or closing.

Personally, I am not a big on line shopper (mostly only when I can't find something in store). I think dealing with picking up/delivery and having to return items not the right size/fit would a hassle and time consuming, also the prices often do not seem that much better to me, but perhaps it works better for some.

Comment

• I really wonder how Kingsway is going to deal with their vacancy rate and lack of anything exciting happening. Kingsway in particular has a lot of potential with the residential opportunities coming up nearby and proximity to downtown. I would really love to see something good to keep this property vibrant than see it slowly die.

Comment

• It's peculiar, because at least the paintings are SOMETHING, but holy cow, imagine if those weren't there- the mall would be an absolute dead zone.

Really bad, considering their location. Like you said, it's close to downtown, which has pretty weak mall-space (City Center is notoriously dead), and close to the LRT stations... though as has been noted on here a year ago, they made the HORRIBLE decision to not let any stations open up on-property, which has probably done untold damage to their businesses.

Are they still planning on opening a Walmart in that vacant space? That might be something that at least lures in shoppers, as people tend to wander here and there.

I tend to shop fairly late, so I probably miss the worst of the crowds, but is this mall EVER busy? I swear I'm usually in most stores by myself, when at West Ed in particular, it's a sea of people around the same time. Check out the differences in their Disney Stores, where this one has the same stuff, but only a couple customers, while the West Ed location is swarmed.

Comment

• ^pretty accurate observations overall. The times you would expect it to be busier it just isn’t. It’s not completely dead, but definitely not overwhelming in any way.

Comment

• Hrm- I checked a CTV link to the "Retail Apocalypse" and it turns out that Bench and Carlton Cards dying were both results of that thing- both have closed all of their Canadian stores, along with a ton of other places. So that, I guess, can't be blamed just on Kingsway.

But man, it's still not a good look to be so empty. It's really time to drop some rents or risk EVERYONE going away. Heck, the model shop opened up near my in Strathcona (a place ALSO known for high rents, mind you), and they said the rent was the reason why- it even allowed them to drop their prices!

Comment

• Victoria's secret will be shutting canadian stores....retail is just going downhill

Comment

• Shadows of things to come

Inside Randall Park Mall in North Randall, Ohio.

The mall opened its doors in the mid-’70s. It closed in early 2009 and has been replaced by an Amazon distribution center.

https://footwearnews.com/2019/busine...ss-1202760587/

Lost in the heart of Italy, abandoned for several years, this shopping center is invaded by nature and suffered from vandalism. It remains a cinema complex with about ten rooms and movie posters on the ground.
                          https://imgur.com/gallery/v10WL

Malaysia
                          https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...(Unsplash).jpg

More

https://www.toptenz.net/10-abandoned...ange-title.php
                          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                            Victoria's secret will be shutting canadian stores....retail is just going downhill
                            I can't imagine everyone wants to wait in long lines at the post office to receive packages or have them left on their steps and hoping the porch pirates don't get them. I think the problems for retail stores go way beyond on line buying, although it sure doesn't help them. I think too much retail space was built and many consumers having less discretionary money to spend because of high housing costs in many places, is also a big part of the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                              Victoria's secret will be shutting canadian stores....retail is just going downhill
                              Don't get your g-string in a knot! LOL! ????
                              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Well thats 3 or is it 4 retail locations vacating the Edmonton market. Unfortunate but again not our fault.
                                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X