Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabroniville
    replied
    I was there this Monday, unfortunately a bit late- I read the website as saying they were closed at 6, but it was actually 5. Not that the mall has much going on lately...

The usual "Post-Chrismas Dead Zone" has afflicted Kingsway, though at least they have neat art covering up all the boarded up locations. Of which there are MANY, and with more to come, as both the card shop (Carlton or Hallmark, I forget) and Bench are done. The card store is kind of a shame, but I was only there for the Disney statuettes they had, and they hadn't upgraded their inventory in FOREVER. My only memory of shopping there was buying one thing at the end of the day, and the poor worker complaining that's what EVERYONE did, because "It's been dead all day, but now it's busy", lol.

I don't think anything's been done in the "Community" room in a year. That was a really bad idea- giving shopkeepers little stalls seems like a great plan, but this was way too out of the way to get food, and I felt weird walking in there to just check things out and then leave- there always seems to be this sense of "you shouldn't just be browsing" in those, I dunno. West Ed having their own version die out seems to be the death-knell for this kind of business plan, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• BalancedOP
    replied
    Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    Any idea what’s with all the parking lot closures on the west side?
    Looks like they are replacing some of the deep utilities. (Water and sewage).

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status...81461466472449

Fast fashion chain Forever 21 to close its 44 Canadian stores, which employ about 2,000 people. South of the border, the L.A.-based company files for bankruptcy protection.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    Any idea what’s with all the parking lot closures on the west side?

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Soft Moc is relocating upstairs next to Jump+ in November.
    Bourbon St Grill is now open - looks like Cajun cuisine.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    I hear that Sleep Country is now open.

Leave a comment:

• Jabroniville
    replied
    Wow I missed all the Walmart talk, haha. I had no idea. I don't mind it, since it's at least something else to do there. I used to walk to the Superstore to check out their toy section, but it's a bit of a jaunt and I'd prefer something that's IN the mall so I can just use transit right to there.

Leave a comment:

• ispec
    replied
    Any idea whats going in next to the Tim Hortons on the upper level? Looks like they've hoarded off 2 former spots.

Leave a comment:

• ispec
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Any idea when Walmart will commence construction in the Sears space? The interior hoarding is either blank or Instagrammable.
    Crews are already in there performing work daily. Can see them set up on the north side of the mall.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Any idea when Walmart will commence construction in the Sears space? The interior hoarding is either blank or Instagrammable.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    A couple of "coming soons":

Leave a comment:

• EveB
    replied
    ^ The Bay will still have the prestige housewares sales. I've tried to buy housewares at the Bay but I wasn't interested in their $300-500 blenders.

I welcome the introduction of the Walmart to a central location largely because I actually miss Zellers.

Leave a comment:

• EdmTrekker
    replied
    I think Walmart will weaken the Bay sales, particularly in housewares, at the Kingsway and Downtown locations.

Leave a comment:

• nickv
    replied
    Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
    Originally posted by jmart81 View Post
    Wonder if they are going to keep the Westmount one open since it's not very far away.
    By car, close, but not by foot or transit. Unless everyone flows to Kingsway because it will have a produce, bakery, and full meat department, I expect Westmount Walmart to remain open. I'm curious how a Kingway Walmart will affect the downtown Save-On, since this will be much more transit accessible then Kingsway Superstore and it will have the above mentioned departments.
    I was just thinking that.

Leave a comment:

• Ustauk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmart81 View Post
    Wonder if they are going to keep the Westmount one open since it's not very far away.
    By car, close, but not by foot or transit. Unless everyone flows to Kingsway because it will have a produce, bakery, and full meat department, I expect Westmount Walmart to remain open. I'm curious how a Kingway Walmart will affect the downtown Save-On, since this will be much more transit accessible then Kingsway Superstore and it will have the above mentioned departments.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X