No announcement yet.

Kingsway Mall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^Yup. My guess is Walmart. They want something central. Perfect opportunity for them.
    www.decl.org

Comment

• Walmart hates being in malls and 2 floor stores though.

Comment

• ^They'll make an exception.
        www.decl.org

Comment

• ^^
          Althought it didn't work as well it Westmount, part of that can be allotted to the lack of space at the Wesmount Walmart store, and the caveat Safeway has at the mall that prevented them from bringing in produce and deli products. I'd say that the increased footprint over the Wesmount store, and having no competition, let alone no caveat, in the mall for groceries would make it a much more palatable option.

The closest competion is the Kingsway Superstore and 109th Save-On, both of which are out of easy walking distance for NAIT students in particular. Combine that with the greatly increased mall traffic over Westmount and the LRT link to downtown, I could see Walmart moving in their readily.
          Last edited by Ustauk; 15-01-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• ^+1
            www.decl.org

Comment

• ^^+2 Whoa, totes, man... totes. Would Blachford development be a consideration as well? Might be wise for Wally World
              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• We have all seen Walmarts move into malls then cut themselves off to access to the rest of the mall (Capilano). For some reason it's just something they seem to do. I doubt they would get away with that in Kingsway.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• ^^
                  Agreed on Blatchford. Plus there's the entire existing residential area around Kingsway itself, both NAIT students attending class and those that live in the area, and all the other neighbourhoods north of downtown that with residents that can easily access Kingsway by car and transit. There's a reason Kingsway is one of the busiest malls in the GEA.

I wonder why Walmart failed to grab Kingsway to begin with. Were they wary of the reno costs? Target lost a lot of money re-skinning that section of the mall. Or did Kingsway not consider them an upscale enough tenant? I guess we'll see if they're good enough for Kingsway now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    We have all seen Walmarts move into malls then cut themselves off to access to the rest of the mall (Capilano). For some reason it's just something they seem to do. I doubt they would get away with that in Kingsway.
                    Maybe that's the reason they didn't grab Kingsway to begin with. I can understand Kingsway's perspective, as they want the rest of the inner part of the mall to remain healthy.

Comment

• Target bought the rights first, and then passed on the 2nd rate locations to Walmart.

Comment

• Essentially all the prime locations that Target felt were the ones that would give them the most success were the ones they kept. The rest of them they didn't feel they were worth keeping. I have no doubt that Wal-Mart would be very interested in these locations. Especially Bonnie Doon and Kingsway. Probably the one location that might be left out in the cold could be Mill Woods Town Centre. I'm curious if/when Kingsway will issue a statement regarding what they plan on doing with the vacated space.
                        LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/CarolAmadeoCBC/s...77822423773184
                          Carol Amadeo ‏@CarolAmadeoCBC 3m3 minutes ago
                          [email protected] says #Target will close this Sat. Also announced 2 new stores: Skechers & a two-floor Forever 21. #yeg #retail #CBC
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Well their smart enough to announce something right away to let people know that they are already looking to the future and not dwelling on the Target loss.
                            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Unfortunately I wish Kingsway had a better option than Wal-Mart, but they're just not quite in the Nordstrom (let alone Holts or Saks) range and Simons has to be stretched already, as well as being too small for that space.

Maybe they could subdivide the space between a DSW and a Zara? I'd like that way better than Wal-Mart. Or Sobeys on the first floor and Sport Chek on the second?
                              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

• I read that Forever 21 is shutting down in Calgary's Chinook mall, so this announcement of a 2 level store at Kingsway is interesting.
                                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                                X