Clear All

• GreenSPACE
    replied
    ^+1

Leave a comment:

• Ustauk
    replied
    ^^
    Althought it didn't work as well it Westmount, part of that can be allotted to the lack of space at the Wesmount Walmart store, and the caveat Safeway has at the mall that prevented them from bringing in produce and deli products. I'd say that the increased footprint over the Wesmount store, and having no competition, let alone no caveat, in the mall for groceries would make it a much more palatable option.

The closest competion is the Kingsway Superstore and 109th Save-On, both of which are out of easy walking distance for NAIT students in particular. Combine that with the greatly increased mall traffic over Westmount and the LRT link to downtown, I could see Walmart moving in their readily.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 15-01-2015, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GreenSPACE
    replied
    ^They'll make an exception.

Leave a comment:

• sundance
    replied
    Walmart hates being in malls and 2 floor stores though.

Leave a comment:

• GreenSPACE
    replied
    ^Yup. My guess is Walmart. They want something central. Perfect opportunity for them.

Leave a comment:

• IanO
    replied
    Wal is my bet given the proximity to their enemy Loblaws.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sundance View Post
    Perhaps it gives Macy's, Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus a new shell to put in a store.
    Nordstrom's would be most likely since they are opening stores in Canada.
    Macy's has no plans to open up across the border.
    Dunno know about Neiman, I'm guessing no.
    Walmart is a likely candidate.

Leave a comment:

• sundance
    replied
    Perhaps it gives Macy's, Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus a new shell to put in a store.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Would love to see what becomes of the Target space. That gut and rebuild was all for naught for them.

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    ^ I just like unique and independent... malls by nature are cookie cutter... same stores, same eats, same marketing, same same same...

its fine it's just nor me and that's why my soul cries.

Leave a comment:

• overoceans
    replied
    Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ Malls make my soul cry.. and I was raised on "mall" culture.
    To each their own. The only mall that really grinds me down is WEM, which seems to infect me with some sort of "sick building syndrome" whenever I go there. I always emerge feeling like I've just eaten really bad buffet food or something.

And, like your mall-culture upbringing, I was pretty much immersed in Old Strathcona cafe/bar culture for about fifteen years, and by the end of that had really grown to dislike it. It's the one part of Edmonton that I'm most anxious to avoid when I visit.

(And no, Triple 5 legal team, I am not actually suggesting that there is sickness in the air or wnywhere else at WEM.)

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    ^ Malls make my soul cry.. and I was raised on "mall" culture.

Leave a comment:

• overoceans
    replied
    Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ...a good majority of the people in it are decidedly not upscale: cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag.
    You are describing a mall sub culture that can exist pretty much in any city. Kingsway by virtue of its somewhat more central location and proximity to older neighborhoods has its own specific local fauna.

But more revealing is that habitation of malls for recreational purposes for large portions of the local population is a characteristic of Edmonton that really only has Whyte Aveue as an outdoor boulevard promenade experience. A condition that hopefully will be alleviated soon.
    I dunno. I think you could probably open up a dozen Whyte Avenues all over Edmonton, without putting much of a dent in the indoor-mall subculture.

Confession: I am an unabashed, middle-aged mall rat. And there is something appealing about being inside an indoor-mall that you don't get walking down the streets of a market-district. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's something I definitely sense. A cozier feeling, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• edmonton daily photo
    replied
    I cant wait till its open!

Leave a comment:

• Dialog
    replied
    ^ It does brighten up that corner now, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X