• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingsway Mall

Kingsway undergoes $60M makeover

edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 29 August 2007 3:14 pm

Kingsway Garden Mall is getting a $60-million makeover to brighten the look, inside and out.

"We'll strip out all of the old flooring, ceilings and lighting," general manager Brad Merchant said today.

New carpets, tile and paint will be in livelier colours. Lighting levels will be raised by up to 400 per cent, but electricity use is expected to fall through more efficient fixtures, lamps and computer controls.

The mall will save another $200,000 in annual electricity costs through improved heating and cooling systems, Merchant said.

Outside, "the most dramatic change will be on the west side and the west entrance," facing the parking lot, he said.

Cladding and glass on the 31-year-old mall will be replaced to achieve "a sophisticated, urban look," Merchant said. "It will give the west side a true retail identity."

With so many condominiums being built downtown and in nearby neighbourhoods, "we are starting to see more stylish, fashion-forward customers," he said.

Exterior work will start next spring or summer.

All interior work is being done at night, with protective dust curtains. After morning clean-up, "there is no evidence of construction," Merchant said.

To recruit people amid the labour shortage, workers were offered a schedule of just four night shifts per week.

The mall now is almost fully occupied. No store closures are anticipated during the renovation, Merchant said, although "over the next two years we will see some impressive new additions, upsizings and downsizings, and relocations."

The renovation, scheduled for completion in 2009, will not change the mall's total size.

Kingsway Garden Mall, at Kingsway and 109th Street, is owned by Oxford Property Group. The project architect is Cohos Evamy Integrated Design. Ledcor is the general contractor.

The mall has more than 200 services and stores including The Bay, Sears and Zellers. It attracts 10 million shoppers annually.

[email protected]

© Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

Nice to hear.

Hopefully WEM is next!

Comment

and WEM lags and lags just b/c it can get by being the biggest...

/sigh
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

They showed some rendering on the news. The west side of Kingsway Mall will be totally revamped with an expanded and glass-enclosed food court.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

pictures of reno's here -> http://www.kingswaymall.com/renovati...to-gallery.asp

sample for those that don't want to 'click' away

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I'm assuming this is the West Facing Entrance where the food court is now. This is definitely an improvement.

I wonder what they will change anything to the rest of the exterior? I've never really liked the spackled brick. Makes the mall look dreary. If they can knock some of it out all around the building and replace it with glass or window/store fronts, that would definitely make the entire mall look more appealing.

YES...WEM...please!

Comment

Jeez that ain't half bad.

Comment

This will make the whole area look great just right for a big event to happen near it...

Can anyone think of something in say 2017 that would benefit from having a revamped Kingsway Mall?

Comment

That is definitely going to be an improvement.

As much as this is great I'm curious if any smaller less successful malls can get the same idea and renovate too and bring themselves to higher standards.
                  LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Very much needed and will look very good.

WEM needs a make-over, are they still moving ahead with their plans re office towers etc.?
                    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

I really like these renderings.

DJ girl, def in 2017, but also every year with the Grand Prix, anything around that area would help to make it look a little less tired.

Now, NAIT just needs to come up with some money to make the Business Tower a little less depressing looking, and bring up the rest of the campus to match the "newer" areas of Campus (thinking South Learning Centre portion, HP Centre, and new buildings currently being constructed).

Comment

good to see, but i wish kingsway would leave the downtown crowd alone:>

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                          Very much needed and will look very good.

WEM needs a make-over, are they still moving ahead with their plans re office towers etc.?
                          That's an understatement. Gawd,please NO office towers. WEM is already a monument to visual pollution. Can they possibily get more signs on the outside?
                          Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

i hope WEM includes a condo tower, a seniors tower, and an office tower...make it more of a mixed use than current.

However, ill trade that office for a hotel tower.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
                              i hope WEM includes a condo tower, a seniors tower, and an office tower...make it more of a mixed use than current.

However, ill trade that office for a hotel tower.
                              Isn't this the plan anyways? I doubt 555 builds anything in this economy though. Cheap (choose your own expletive)
                              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                              X