X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noodle View Post
    Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Expected and disappointing.
    This is the regime change you advocated for to 'save' the black hole of street interaction which is Dynalife. What did you think was gonna happen? Did you think the leopard was just going to eat other people's faces?
    By the time the full effect of the cuts is felt, I'm willing to bet that the total number of jobs left downtown will be much greater that what Dynalife provides. And they will be people that were much more likely to go out for lunch as opposed to the Dynalife folks who work in sterile conditions and are much more likely to lunch in.

Well done IanO. Well done. Take a bow. You've earned it.

Comment

Between the tech cuts & the kick to the shins that is the moving of lottery revenue into general revenues there's gonna be a huge ripple effect across both the arts & tech sectors (including their copious overlap).
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I was willing to give this UCP government a chance, but this has been a trainwreck. Add that to their cuts and policies making post secondary likely to make a huge jump in cost through lifting the tuition freeze while reducing funding, while also cutting STEP (a fantastic program that massively benefited both students and small companies) and basically we have a government telling brilliant young people and tech startups to look elsewhere.

But hey, the trades programs got huge funding increases and oil companies insane tax subsidies. Diversification? No, this is oil country.
        I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

^I'm starting to join your line of thinking too. Not overly impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by nickv View Post
            I was willing to give this UCP government a chance, but this has been a trainwreck. Add that to their cuts and policies making post secondary likely to make a huge jump in cost through lifting the tuition freeze while reducing funding, while also cutting STEP (a fantastic program that massively benefited both students and small companies) and basically we have a government telling brilliant young people and tech startups to look elsewhere.

But hey, the trades programs got huge funding increases and oil companies insane tax subsidies. Diversification? No, this is oil country.
            One thing that made my jaw drop in particular, was when they just said diversification was a "luxury" at this time. No, actually its fundamental to our future prosperity and economic growth. This stick your head in the sand approach is like Detroit in the 1980's. and that worries me. Sorry, things are not going back to the way they were and we also have to train people for the jobs of the future instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Originally posted by nickv View Post

One thing that made my jaw drop in particular, was when they just said diversification was a "luxury" at this time. No, actually its fundamental to our future prosperity and economic growth. This stick your head in the sand approach is like Detroit in the 1980's. and that worries me. Sorry, things are not going back to the way they were and we also have to train people for the jobs of the future instead.
              I am actually fairly worried about Calgary becoming Detroit 2.0. Lots of companies and jobs leaving without much coming in. We worry about Alberta as a whole being too reliant on oil to drive our economy, but just about the entirety of Calgary's downtown is tied to the oil industry. The office space vacancy problem is only going to get worse from everything I have been seeing.
              I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

It's almost as if having a diverse economy, one that's not based on a volatile internation commodity, would be a good thing.

Instead, Alberta is doubling down on fossil fuels.

Go figure.

Comment

A prominent Edmonton tech entrepreneur says the inaugural budget of Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s government is short-shrifting startups and scaleups with its “nearsighted” focus on established businesses.

James Keirstead, president and CEO of Levven Electronics, criticized the UCP government for its plan to cancel targeted tax incentives like the Alberta Investor Tax Credit, choosing instead to reduce corporate income taxes.

“This is going back to the old way of doing things as opposed to targeted programs that can drive diversification,” Keirstead said “A broad-based tax decrease doesn’t help drive the economy. It’s really nearsighted.”

“I can’t believe I’m saying this but I kind of agreed more with the way the NDP were doing things … and I’m a staunch Conservative,” he added
                  https://www.taprootedmonton.ca/news/...eomEoUNKnvcDM8
                  “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

EDMONTON SURGES IN CBRE CANADIAN TECH TALENT REPORT

Noteworthy in this year’s report was Edmonton’s overall score, which improved by over 10 points, making it the leading score increase of any market. The Alberta capital snagged the 10th spot overall. Top performing drivers for Edmonton included tech quality to cost, tech pool labour size, and quality of labour, which received an A. While Edmonton rose, fellow Alberta city Calgary maintained its position in sixth place.

https://betakit.com/edmonton-surges-...eid=9018541291

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Be interesting to see where we land after the effects of the clearcutting of programs have taken hold.
                      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Here is an interesting and timely article - something to think about

What Jason Kenney and Albertans can learn from Texas

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-what-jason-kenney-and-albertans-can-learn-from-texas/

Comment

• Does anyone remember the old saying success is showing up? The Alberta Government needs to show up and saying we are broke is a sad excuse not to invest a bit for the jobs of the future.
                          Edmonton tech CEO calls out Alberta government for lack of support at Las Vegas tech show

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/othe...id=hplocalnews

Comment

• Does anyone remember the old saying 90% of success is showing up? The Alberta Government needs to show up and saying we are broke is a sad excuse not to invest a bit for the jobs of the future.
                            Edmonton tech CEO calls out Alberta government for lack of support at Las Vegas tech show

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/othe...id=hplocalnews

Comment

• Diversity is a luxury Alberta cannot afford, as per the UCP.

Comment

• Same with Film & TV

Lost in the Badlands: Netflix sci-fi series makes good use of Alberta's alien landscape

​​​​​​Of course, as with all areas of Alberta, there is a fear that changes made by the provincial government to film incentives in the 2019 budget will have Alberta production drying up faster than the Amber Planet. During the provincial campaign, the United Conservative Party had promised changes that would “allow Alberta to compete for major media projects with provinces like British Columbia and Ontario,” including switching from a screen-based production grant to a tax credit. But when the provincial budget was released in October, the UCP lowered the yearly cap for that tax credit, which makes Alberta even less competitive than it was previously. British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba all employ tax credits but do not have annual caps.

https://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...ear-drumheller

Comment

Working...
                                X