X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowes closing stores in U.S & Canada

Doesn't surprise,their service is non-existent
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4630083/l...fJF_-owGT03bCg
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

for perspective:

“More than 6,700 stores closed last year, more than 3,800 stores have closed this year and landlords face a virtually nonexistent pool of tenants that can singlehandedly backfill these vacancies. Besides the 142 Sears and Kmart stores scheduled to close, other closures this year have included 256 Bon-Ton stores, 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores, 800-plus Toys R Us stores and smaller numbers of Lord & Taylor, J.C. Penney, Macy’s and other stores.”

these are shopping centre numbers only, predominantly in the us, so they don’t capture everything in both countries and they probably underrepresent both independents and storefronts as the original article was focused on co-tenancy implications.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
      for perspective:

“More than 6,700 stores closed last year, more than 3,800 stores have closed this year and landlords face a virtually nonexistent pool of tenants that can singlehandedly backfill these vacancies. Besides the 142 Sears and Kmart stores scheduled to close, other closures this year have included 256 Bon-Ton stores, 200 Gap and Banana Republic stores, 800-plus Toys R Us stores and smaller numbers of Lord & Taylor, J.C. Penney, Macy’s and other stores.”

these are shopping centre numbers only, predominantly in the us, so they don’t capture everything in both countries and they probably underrepresent both independents and storefronts as the original article was focused on co-tenancy implications.
      Finding uses for the big block stores must be a major challenge.

The old Eagle on St Albert Trail was repurposed but I don’t know what uses were found for any other vacated sites.

If they were to be pulled down, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of walls and roof, but what are the floors made of? Do floors have to be pulled up as well - or can they be turned near as is into parking lots and storage yards?

How many big empty warehouses do we have in the city?
      Last edited by KC; 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

We all know what happened to Heritage Mall which was worth $110M one year and everyone thought at the time that Southgate was going to close. A year later, Southgate was booming and Heritage Mall dropped in value to $10M and became a wrecking ball magnet.

Deadmalls.com
        http://deadmalls.com/malls/heritage_mall.html
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Where did you get that information. Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties. Southgate was also on life support up until the oil boom which saw an expansion around 2004 that revived the mall. I clearly recall how Southgate almost got the same faith as heritage.
          " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Where did YOU get your information? How could it have closed before the mid-nineties when Walmart just moved in during 1994?

Heritage mall was a busy and popular mall after construction in 1981. The first major tenant to leave was Eatons in 1993. In 1994 Woolco was converted to a Walmart. When Walmart moved out a few years later, the mall went into a death spiral as Sears moved out and took over the old Woodward location in Southgate in 2000. The major expansion at Southgate was completed in 2009, not 2004

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southgate_Centre
            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolco
            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I use to frequent that mall and Southgate on the number 9 bus as a late teen going into my early 20s. There was nothing there at the time line which I mentioned as most stores were shut down. I don't recall Walmart being there, but if they did, they didn't rent the whole mall. If anyone recalled Capilano mall during its last stance, that was busier than Heritage by a mile, and Capilano was a disaster in the latter days.

Comment

Well if you cannot even remember Walmart taking over Woolco in Heritage mall, I highly doubt your recollection skills.

No one stated that Walmart took over the whole mall. Sears, Safeway, Eatons and Woolco were the original anchor tenants of the 150-165 store mall. They were far busier and larger than Capilano and were taking a lot of business away from Southgate. When Woodward's and their food store closed at Southgate, they were in serious trouble and were saved when Sears moved in.

I clearly recall the demise of Heritage and the EJ story on how the value dropped from $110M to $10M in just one year.

I have provided 3 sources of info and checked several others. You are just guessing.
                Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-11-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I stopped frequenting the mall when Safeway moved out. When Walmart entered, the mall was dead.

Comment

And what year did Safeway leave? According to your previous comments, "Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties."

Several sourced articles say the mall closed in 2001.

here is another
                    https://edmontonlocal.ca/shopping/heritage-mall/

Comment

I think it was Safeway closed around mid 90s. I do recall Walmart moving in there now, but from what I remembered, they lasted in that location for 2 years or so. I started frequenting that mall in 1998 as an 18 year old to meet up with friends. There was nothing there. The mall was dead day, night, or weekends. If you classify a mall being opened because the lights were on...

Comment

So you have ZERO proof.

Comment

Proof of what ? Tell me what that mall was like from your version that my eyes could not see?

Comment

Forget it, I am not going to discuss your addled memory vs my sourced facts and my own personal recollection.

You can't even support your original statement "Heritage mall was dead in the late 80s which saw it closed down before mid nineties."

Comment

That means you relied on Google which is not always the most correct information. I'll reiterate, it died since 1988 and lingered on until the doors were locked. Just because the light was turned on in a building does not mean it was a functioning mall. It closed when businesses pulled out. When I started frequenting in 1988, there was nothing there for people to shop but Safeway and some mom and pops. Le Chateau was the last decent store which closed it's door around mid 90s. The only decent stores were Le Chateau and A&B records.

Comment

Working...
                              X