No announcement yet.

All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well as if we did not see this coming...

We were sold on this idea that it would be a cash bonanza for Provincial coffers.
    Why Alberta continues to lose money on legal cannabis

Hundreds of stores have opened but province’s cannabis agency remains in the red

Trevor Howlett - CBC News
    Posted: March 05, 2020

Albertans are among the biggest consumers of legal cannabis in Canada but it may still be several years before the provincial government turns a profit in the industry.

The Alberta government is expecting to lose around $26 million in the 2019-20 fiscal year and will continue to be in the red the next three years, due to setup, administration and inventory costs. The 2020-21 fiscal year is expected to be even more in the red, with a net loss of $36 million.

The province wasn't expecting to make money in the first two years; even the previous NDP government had projected to lose about $90 million until 2020-21 when the province expected a net income of $37 million.

According to Statistics Canada, in the first year of legalization the province was second in the country in total retail sales, generating about $196 million.

Though Alberta has more cannabis retail outlets than any other province — 423 locations — the industry still faces challenges, both in establishing a framework for legal cannabis and with illicit market competition.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Went to my local dispensary, only opened for a few months. Bought some product from a "new" LP & it was still over 5 months between packaging & sale. Terrible.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I'll send you some fresh stuff...

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Nah, I've got a mail-order service. I only go to the local when I'm completely dry & a delivery is still a few days out.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Working...
          X