Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Stoneman View Post

    When the robberies are multiple times in a short period of time, that is rampant.
    ramp·ant
    /ˈrampənt/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      (especially of something unwelcome or unpleasant) flourishing or spreading unchecked.
      "political violence was rampant"
    Nope, not rampant. It happened, he got arrested, it stopped.

    Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
    And I'm hoping you can convince Emily that she should try some of your dope. And then rant to her about how unfair she was over 100 year ago.
    At least she has the historical excuse for her ignorance. What's yours?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by noodle View Post

      ramp·ant
      /ˈrampənt/
      adjective
      1. 1.
        (especially of something unwelcome or unpleasant) flourishing or spreading unchecked.
        "political violence was rampant"
      Nope, not rampant. It happened, he got arrested, it stopped.



      At least she has the historical excuse for her ignorance. What's yours?
      Arrested 2 of the 3 suspects. So that leaves one to potentially continue. Did you actually read the article?
      Read the link, and exorcise your ignorance!

      And I never said I was against cannibis. To each his own. But it's clearly affected you. Or at least I hope it's the cannibis and not something else. Like being dropped as an infant.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
        And I never said I was against cannibis. To each his own. But it's clearly affected you. Or at least I hope it's the cannibis and not something else. Like being dropped as an infant.
        I find it quite funny you're insinuating I'm mentally incapacitated in some manner while being incapable of spelling cannabis in the cannabis thread where the correct spelling of cannabis is all over the place. Project much?
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by noodle View Post

          I find it quite funny you're insinuating I'm mentally incapacitated in some manner while being incapable of spelling cannabis in the cannabis thread where the correct spelling of cannabis is all over the place. Project much?
          I am going to give you a little credit. At least you are responding to the correct poster now.

          Baby steps.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            You're just flat out wrong: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23756634
            Nutt is not some crackpot, he's an incredibly accomplished researcher in the field.
            That is one study. There is a body of research on THC but less on CBD. One of the reasons was that big pharma could not patent it so that limited research on cannabinoids.
            There's some research on that, but admittedly it's conflicting. However, that would lead one to believe that it's not a huge risk factor for lung cancer, at least compared to tobacco. That said, smoking cannabis does cause other lung issues, no question.
            We know for a fact that alcohol increases the chances of getting numerous types of cancer, as well as a bunch of other diseases. It's clear that cannabis is far less harmful to individuals and society than either alcohol or tobacco, even with current research (again, Nutt): https://www.vox.com/2015/2/24/8094759/alcohol-marijuana
            But marijuana is a narcotic and quite different from tobacco and less is known than alcohol. We have been dealing with alcohol in wine and beer well before the Greeks got all **** faced
            You could easily argue that society would be far better served by further cracking down on tobacco and alcohol, by for example banning or severely curtailing alcohol advertising and sponsorship, than by trying to reduce cannabis consumption. I mean, you use big bad business as a cudgel against cannabis repeatedly. The global alcohol industry is absolutely enormous, yet I've heard nary a peep from you about how we need to crack down on it despite all the societal damage alcohol causes.
            I don't 'peep' about alcohol because this is a cannabis thread.
            Alcohol is a demon for many people but obviously the previous attempts at prohibition failed miserably. I have issues that the government was in cahoots with big tobacco for decades as both profited from it and then the government sued the tobacco industry but still make money from taxes which to me is duplicis.
            As I have clearly stated before that I drink alcohol, smoke cigars occasionally and weed less so I am no angel or moralistic. In fact i am conflicted and willing to listen to reasoned debate as i develop opinions on this subject
            That defies logic. People are consuming cannabis whether it's legal or not. Legalization does not have a significant impact on usage, and that's the only "zero sum" in the equation. It does however, generate significant government revenue that would otherwise remain in the hands of criminals and criminal organization.
            Zero sum because the profits from taxation will be spent on healthcare costs and lower productivity. I totally disagree with your assumptions that legalization will not increase consumption especially since the black market is strong and the huge legal industry cannot keep up with demand
            You're offering either no solution at all, or the status quo, which everyone can agree wasn't working. You've really thought this through!
            So you have a perfect solution??? Please let us all know, we are eager to hear!
            What the hell do interprovincial trade barriers and "opposing" regulations have to do with anything. Now you're just throwing out random phrases to sound like you have a point.
            Just proves that each Province has confusing and inconsistent regulations and laws. I thought that the provinces wanted to broadly eliminate interprovincial trade barriers in light of the fact that we have free trade with the USA but instead they added a new set of interprovincial barriers.

            [/QUOTE]

            I am on the fence on this issue because I personally see benefits and pitfalls of cannabis use.

            I do dislike the rhetoric that tries to box me in as some strident opponent or that I even suggested to make it illegal. All I point out is that the government reasoning and sales job they did, clearly failed on almost all levels.

            I don't have solutions and clearly the government does not either but some posters appear to have them and I would like to hear a multipoint solution.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

            Comment


            • edit: duplicated posts, sorry
              Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 27-01-2020, 04:18 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Edmonton PRT
                That is one study. There is a body of research on THC but less on CBD. One of the reasons was that big pharma could not patent it so that limited research on cannabinoids.
                I'll take Nutt's study over your opinion, which seems to stem mostly from ignorance. You haven't offered any evidence that it was reasonably practicable to study recreational cannabis extensively prior to legalization.

                But let's just grant you that argument, for fun. Let's say that it would have been possible government researchers to conduct a huge study on cannabis and it's health impacts etc. for 5 or 10 years, starting with the election of Trudeau in 2015. What would that change, exactly? If we suddenly discovered that holy cow, cannabis really is as bad for lung cancer as tobacco (chances of that are basically zero, but we're having fun!), and that it leads to non-reversible cognitive declines? What then?

                If we follow your argument to the logical conclusion, it remains that you are calling for the status quo or crackdown on cannabis, because it's just so bad for you or because we don't know how bad it is for you. This is essentially what the powers that be have been telling society for close to a century about cannabis. And the end result has been an abject failure, in terms of discouraging it's use and impact on society. It's time to give up on this head in the sand mentality.

                Originally posted by Edmonton PRT
                Zero sum because the profits from taxation will be spent on healthcare costs and lower productivity.
                Again, there is little or no evidence that legalization leads to increased usage. Therefore health care costs and lower productivity are the "zero sum" part of the equation. They don't change, and if anything could be argued to decline because people are no longer consuming a product made on the black market without strict quality control. The taxation is additional government revenue that would otherwise have gone to the black market. This isn't hard to understand, yet despite claiming to be willing to listen, you keep repeating this totally illogical argument while throwing around the term "zero sum" like some kind of talisman.

                Originally posted by Edmonton PRT
                I don't have solutions and clearly the government does not either but some posters appear to have them and I would like to hear a multipoint solution.
                Well, that's just the thing: you seem to operate from an assumption that there's a big problem in society with cannabis, and that a solution is required. So don't be surprised when someone asks you what the solution to the problem in your own mind is.

                I do not operate from that assumption, at all. I do not give one crap if a significant of the population chooses to consume it recreationally. The majority of the problems in our society with respect to cannabis prior to legalization were direct results of it's illegality, in my opinion. Most of those problems were addressed by legalizing and regulating it, but new ones have popped up as a result. Now it's a matter of tweaking the laws, regulations, taxes, markets, and so on to address some of the unintended consequences to improve the legal system and continue to push the black market out.
                Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 27-01-2020, 04:20 PM.

                Comment


                • Marcel wrote
                  Again, there is little or no evidence that legalization leads to increased usage

                  Well you are completely wrong in your opinion. I guess that you don't believe Stats Canada even with this data from last year.

                  Number of new cannabis users increasing
                  https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...90502a-eng.htm

                  Released: 2019-05-02

                  About 5.3 million or 18% of Canadians aged 15 years and older reported using cannabis in the last three months. This was higher than the 14% who reported using just one year earlier, before legalization. ( My Note 14% vs 18% is a 19% increase)

                  <snip>
                  More Canadians began to use cannabis in the first quarter of 2019. Some of these new cannabis consumers were first-time users, while others were former cannabis users who tried cannabis again post-legalization.

                  During the first quarter, 646,000 cannabis users reported trying cannabis for the very first time in the past three months. This number of first-time users was nearly double the corresponding estimate of 327,000 people one year earlier, when non-medical cannabis use was not yet legal.

                  Results suggest that first-time users in the post-legalization period are older. Half of new users were aged 45 or older, while in the same period in 2018, this age group represented about one-third of new users.
                  Seniors showed the most growth in cannabis use after legalization
                  https://globalnews.ca/news/6101805/s...istics-canada/

                  https://vancouversun.com/cannabis/ca...lization-study


                  Meanwhile, my sources confirm my educated opinion

                  Cannabis Stocks’ Dilemma: Rising Black Market Sales
                  https://marketrealist.com/2019/10/ca...-market-sales/

                  Cannabis sales in Canada’s black market
                  Canada legalized recreational marijuana a year ago. Statistics Canada said that licensed retail outlets sold more than $100 million worth of marijuana in July. However, industry analysts think that the number would have been higher without black market sales.

                  Canadian consumers still purchase cannabis illegally. Data from Statistics Canada’s National Cannabis Survey showed that close to 42% of cannabis consumers still buy products from an illegal source. The strict and strenuous regulation process is an issue. Also, a licensing bottleneck makes it difficult to have more legal shops.
                  Before calling me ignorant and taking cheap shots,, maybe you should read more
                  Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                  Comment


                  • I have been an everyday Cannabis user since 1995. In my opinion, Cannabis is way safer for society in general than alcohol. I don’t have any empirical evidence, it’s just something that I’ve noticed in my own behaviour. I’m a better human when I’m high versus when I’m drunk.
                    As for the black market, I still buy 100% of my edibles from the black market and at least 80% of my weed as well. The reason for me is very simple. It’s quality! I would be willing to pay a little more to buy from the stores but I won’t pay higher prices for inferior product. My theory on this is that for the last 20 years, the western part of North America (BC, Alberta, California) has produced the best weed in the world so we are absolutely used to the best of the best. The old white guys come in and take over and they think they can mass produce the weed to compete but they and us, quickly realize that they are not in the same ballpark. On top of that, the government thinks it’s a good idea to add about 20 times the weight of the product in packaging. Then if that is not enough, they decide to limit edibles to 10mg per dose (with all the same ridiculous packaging). For a guy like me and basically everybody I know who consumes, 10 mg doesn’t do anything. I would need 30-40 mg of very high quality product to get high. So I keep buying from my guy who can supply better weed than I have tried in any store and top of the line super potent edibles for cheaper. I know this is a new industry and it’s going to take some time but there has been some really bad decisions by the government and the industry. In the meantime I’ll keep smoking some of the best weed on earth that comes from growers in the lower mainland and interior BC. And maybe they will figure this out in the next few years.

                    Comment


                    • ^ Well said!
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Frank Rizza View Post
                        I have been an everyday Cannabis user since 1995. In my opinion, Cannabis is way safer for society in general than alcohol. I don’t have any empirical evidence, it’s just something that I’ve noticed in my own behaviour. I’m a better human when I’m high versus when I’m drunk.
                        As for the black market, I still buy 100% of my edibles from the black market and at least 80% of my weed as well. The reason for me is very simple. It’s quality! I would be willing to pay a little more to buy from the stores but I won’t pay higher prices for inferior product. My theory on this is that for the last 20 years, the western part of North America (BC, Alberta, California) has produced the best weed in the world so we are absolutely used to the best of the best. The old white guys come in and take over and they think they can mass produce the weed to compete but they and us, quickly realize that they are not in the same ballpark. On top of that, the government thinks it’s a good idea to add about 20 times the weight of the product in packaging. Then if that is not enough, they decide to limit edibles to 10mg per dose (with all the same ridiculous packaging). For a guy like me and basically everybody I know who consumes, 10 mg doesn’t do anything. I would need 30-40 mg of very high quality product to get high. So I keep buying from my guy who can supply better weed than I have tried in any store and top of the line super potent edibles for cheaper. I know this is a new industry and it’s going to take some time but there has been some really bad decisions by the government and the industry. In the meantime I’ll keep smoking some of the best weed on earth that comes from growers in the lower mainland and interior BC. And maybe they will figure this out in the next few years.
                        100%.
                        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                        Comment


                        • Add me with Matt & Frank.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

                          Comment


                          • Yeah, the 10mg limit is totally ridiculous. It's like mandating that you can only buy spirits in 1oz single serve capsules.

                            Comment


                            • The stuff on the legal market is absolutely garbage, and overpriced even if it was good.

                              Ive had pretty good luck with a gray market online vendor. Great quality, fresh, and at your door in 3 days. Not dried out, no excessive hard to open packaging.
                              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                              Comment


                              • Price, Quality, Service. Choose Two.”

                                Government controlled legal cannabis...




                                ...get none.

                                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X