All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion

With the upcoming legalization of recreational marijuana in Canada, what locations have you seen or heard about opening in Edmonton and other cities in Alberta. What have your experiences with dispensaries in other cities been like? I am really curious to see what the rules for retail stores will be, what kind of products they carry and their prices. What have you heard? What have you seen? What do you know?

Let’s get the conversation started as it’s happening whether we like it or not.

All encompassing recreational cannabis discussion:

In four words....................Let's all get stoned.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

/subbed

Also if anyone needs expert consultations in the field of Cannabis holler at me
      youtube.com/BrothersGrim
      facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
        /subbed

Also if anyone needs expert consultations in the field of Cannabis holler at me
        I’m sure lots of places will eventually be hiring butenders.

Comment

Yup. Seems like everyone I know thought they were going to be millionaires from their pot stocks. Which was all the evidence I needed to stay the hell away. Same goes with bitcoin.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post

Let’s get the conversation started as it’s happening whether we like it or not.
            But the question is, WHEN? As I've posted on another weed thread, Trudeau said last year that the July 1st deadline was a myth(I'm still not clear how that myth got started), and now the government is saying that full implementation won't be until late summer, and even that is assuming it passes through the Senate in time.

Comment

What if, and this could happen, the law is not past this year. We are coming up to a Federal election next year. Could it be possible it's not past before an election. There is great chance Trudeau will not get elected. Does the bill still go through parliament or will it be stopped by a new administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                What if, and this could happen, the law is not past this year. We are coming up to a Federal election next year. Could it be possible it's not past before an election. There is great chance Trudeau will not get elected. Does the bill still go through parliament or will it be stopped by a new administration.
                If it doesn't pass in due time, what happens to all the businesses and provincial governments who have been making arrangements for production and distribution? Am I corect in assuming that, in provinces where they're planning to sell it in government stores separate from liqour stores, that none of the land for these stores has yet been purchased? It would kinda suck if you bought all the real-estate to open marijuana shops, and then the feds turn around and say "Oh, uh, actually, we're not gonna be doing this quite as soon as we had hoped."

Comment

If the bill for the legalization of pot is in motion can it be stopped if another party is elected or does it still have to proceed through the system until completion?.
                  There are a lot of businesses that have invested money into this but is there a chance with another administration that the bill could be stopped. That is what I am getting at.

Comment

^^ Business risk. Tough titties. Probably see corporate hands out for gov't. compensation. You know, from the entrpreneurials who don't like gov't. intervention at any other time. Anyway, it's a bit premature to be going along those lines yet.
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Well I'm hoping Tater Tot does not get re-elected just on the basis of making marijuana legal. Then I will get stoned. Possibly for days on end.

Comment

^ I'll agree with you there, Gem.
                        Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Just a side comment but regardless of whether the bill will pass or not there will be enough problems in the marijuana industry just due to a delay of passing.

July 1 was an odd time in the first place in that it limits one growth year. Many growers (including those at home) will be going with green house operations reliant a lot on solar growing. So that first harvest and in some cases first year is lost in those operations. I also think the standard greenhouses might be the best low overhead cost play in providing crops. But those operators will be hurt with a delayed bill. As will operations that are much more intensive and with indoor lighting. So much investment, and at increasingly greater cost (an out of control speculative market has pushed up facility accrual costs as well as merger costs) and a delay is going to obviously result in a thud to some of these ventures. Some will pull the plug. Probably more than was thought.

A related concern is that prices on every domestic grown flower, plant, vegetable of any type will go up appreciably in Canada due to marijuana market speculation, greenhouse accrual, and shift in operations. With marijuana being seen as a more lucrative play (its a very high risk play) many operations are being switched over. Far too many for the market in Canada.

So look forward to even higher priced greenhouse vegetables, bedding plants, flowers. An unintended cost that is hardly being talked about.
                          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

^Not sure how that plays out regarding greenhouses that grow flowers, veg etc. I am sure they have put limits on how many facilities get licences. I know there is the greenhouse plant being built YEG but have not seen it. If it is an all round facility I should imagine it will have solar panels and generators to switch over to other forms of heat. Growing marijuana is a 24 hour production although I do believe that cutting light to the plant a couple of hours a day gives it a rest. Marijuana needs light, warmth and humidity to grow. If like you say the bill is delayed operators may have to start ramping up their production in mid winter. On the other hand the facility outside the YEG may have a licence to start production right away because I believe it has been authorised to grow medical marijuana.
                            Last edited by Gemini; 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

^The first wave of facilities we were hearing about were high cost hitech facilities. The all year facilities. But there's since been a proliferation of places switching over from greenhouse operations to marijuana grow operations. Some of these being simple seasonal operations that could maybe supplant to more than that but which in this climate would mean considerable heating and utility costs. Myself I like the idea of 3 seasons greenhouse operations that shut down in the winter months and that have at least two doable crop cycles. Just speaking from my own experience having built a greenhouse in the yard theres not much cost benefit, in Canada, about trying to use such facilities in winter months.

Part of the speculation has also involved operators that already have approval, or expect to get it, obtaining additional grow facilities. Its a typical gold rush industry right now. So much speculation, guessing, accrual. If I was an investor my plays would involve more in focusing on firms that supply the industry rather than ones that are the Marijuana industry. For instance solar panel manufacturers, grow light manufacturers, hydroponic suppliers and so on. I think purchase of materials happens in anycase so that those are boom industries right now. Even if very little pot ends up being grown.

Hey the flipside might be Canada having an excess of grow operations a year or two from now and having better and cheaper tomatoes, plants, flowers. heh.
                              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                              X