No announcement yet.

Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scona Cycle on 95 street and Whyte (Mill Creek bridge) is gonzo. The interior is bare when I passed by today. There is a For Lease sign on the side of the building.

Comment

• Wow... that’s a bit shocking. I can’t remember a time that they weren’t there.
      They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• Yeah, Top_Dawg is quite astonished to see them gone.

Comment

• Their website is still going, and I saw an ad come up for some sales event lasting until Feb. 29th.

Comment

• They're not defunct, just moved to Acheson/Spruce Grove.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• ^ Okay thanks. Honda Cycle is not dead but it still leaves a hole in that spot on Whyte.

Comment

• If they're no longer on Whyte, they need to update the address on their website.

Comment

• Rush Bowls is gone. That place didn’t last long at all.
                  They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• yeah, that was really fast for Rush Bowl. I always wonder what goes down when places fly out of their spots so quickly. I assume it's usually "they borrow a lot of money, realize right away they have no chance of paying it back soon, and GONE".

The old David's Tea (or whatever that was) by Dadeo's is STILL empty, and has been for about a year. Lilo's has finally closed up entirely, with only their old signage still up- the windows are covered and everything.

The escape room by the Funky Buddha and the Block 1912 has a sign up saying they're temporarily closed and reopening soon. I always forget that thing is there- it's a REALLY hidden location, especially compared to the other one on Whyte. Is that craze still going?

The fancy "small batch" ice cream shop is still there, and seems to be doing okay. The old "30+ people lined up" thing has died down completely, as it's a walk-up every time I've gone in since at least the fall, so the fad had faded. There's usually still people there, and the place is actually open very late for an ice cream joint (at least 9-10 or so). Hopefully it sticks around. I'm curious as to how many of these "hidden alley shops" there will be, and how they'll do- many of them have hours that aren't really good for me, but if cheaper rents can lead to a more "indie" Whyte, that's a good thing- the predatory practices of landlords in the area has just killed the Ave.

Comment

• Well NEVER MIND about InTrap, the other escape room. Just walked by, and they have a note taped to their door indicating that the space has been seized by the landlords, as the place owes over $42,000 in back rent (what is that, three months on Whyte?) and the locks have been changed. I suppose they're done. Not that they'd have much of a chance with the fancier one just down the Ave, in a better location.

Meanwhile, Fat Frank's has been demolished! Anyone else see that? I think it's a pretty good location for the bar crowds, so they'll probably just rebuild it or something, unless even that's too expensive for them. It could probably do better as a food truck in this day and age, I suppose.

Comment

• Well, the Fat Franks company was sold recently, and the article I read talked about a shift in the company approach. It made it sound like we won’t see the carts everywhere now, which is a shame because that’s kinda what Fat Franks was! I’m guessing the Whyte shack being gone is part of that shift in direction.

Comment

Working...
                        X