No announcement yet.

Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have such few great corners in this city and that could be one of them, alas.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• 105 and Whyte will live on Ian.

Indeed, losing a chain store might be the best thing that could happen to that corner.

Losing Sobeys at 104 and Jasper hurt for a few years. Look at it now. Was it such a loss?
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

• A handful of fast casual restaurants in an area rife with them is nowhere near the amenity that a grocery store was. Even when the tiny CityMarket opens Downtown will be less served by grocery stores than it was a decade ago.

And on what planet is Winners not a chain store?
        Last edited by noodle; 13-08-2019, 11:46 AM.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Chapters is like the Walmart of book stores. Surprised IanO so sad to see it leave. He's been pretty steadfast against any idea of an urban walmart coming small d downtown. What's the difference? Is it cause its fashionable to hate on Walmart while ignoring the real reason you should hate Walmart and other similar bigbox/low cost/squeeze out the little guy/JIT logistics format?
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
            We have such few great corners in this city and that could be one of them, alas.
            a great corner?

when pigs fly...
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex.L View Post
              Mourning the closure of a huge chain store which decimated all the smaller book stores, added a Starbucks to the ave, and aside from the corner entrance is pretty much entirely closed off from the street is not something I expected to read on this forum. I get that a Winners isn't ideal, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the logic that Chapters was some sort of Whyte Ave lynch-pin.
              Lol, this shocks you? Really? Those loss of a huge, busy store, and the only source of new books in the area, and you’re surprised we’re saddened by the loss? ANY bookstore surviving now is a miracle. Losing this huge meeting place and hangout spot is a loss, even if it is a chain.

Comment

• Hopefully smaller bookstores will be encouraged to come back and help return Whyte to its independent roots.
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
                  Originally posted by Alex.L View Post
                  Mourning the closure of a huge chain store which decimated all the smaller book stores, added a Starbucks to the ave, and aside from the corner entrance is pretty much entirely closed off from the street is not something I expected to read on this forum. I get that a Winners isn't ideal, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the logic that Chapters was some sort of Whyte Ave lynch-pin.
                  Lol, this shocks you? Really? Those loss of a huge, busy store, and the only source of new books in the area, and you’re surprised we’re saddened by the loss? ANY bookstore surviving now is a miracle. Losing this huge meeting place and hangout spot is a loss, even if it is a chain.
                  Isn't there another Chapters location just down Calgary Trail? And another in South Common? I think this is much more about the impending Winners than it is about the closing of Chapters.

I get that it's a meeting place, but have a hard time considering it a great loss to the community. Every other conversation about retail inevitably turns into a conversation about storefronts vs malls. Chapters was essentially a 2 store mall in the context of Whyte Ave. Go, hang out inside, shop or don't, have some Starbucks, etc. It was taking feet off the street. Without it they might decide to meet at another store, or buy a coffee from a local shop.

Comment

• 50 blocks from the Chapters on Whyte to the one on Calgary Trail.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• There's also a Wee Book Inn, Alhambra, The Bookseller, and Coles closer than that. Not to mention the ones downtown. It's not exactly a book desert.

Comment

• Used books, used books, used books, limited selection. Not really comparable.

Comment

• If people used the Chapter's as a meeting place or to browse, there is already the Old Strathcona Library nearby.

Comment

• Because libraries are such a great place to engage in conversations...

(FWIW, I don't shop at Chapters or Indigo, ever, & loathe the effect they've had on the independent booksellers in Canada. I just can understand why some people are going to miss it.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex.L View Post
                              There's also a Wee Book Inn, Alhambra, The Bookseller, and Coles closer than that. Not to mention the ones downtown. It's not exactly a book desert.
                              But how about buying new books?

Before Chapters moved to Whyte, there was Greenwood's Books (plus their kid's store on 80 ave.), Aspen Books, Orlando Books, and even Hub Cigar Store (for magazines and major newspapers).

Comment

• Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                                Originally posted by Alex.L View Post
                                There's also a Wee Book Inn, Alhambra, The Bookseller, and Coles closer than that. Not to mention the ones downtown. It's not exactly a book desert.
                                But how about buying new books?

Before Chapters moved to Whyte, there was Greenwood's Books (plus their kid's store on 80 ave.), Aspen Books, Orlando Books, and even Hub Cigar Store (for magazines and major newspapers).
                                So maybe after Chapters moves off Whyte a store that sells new books will open to take advantage of the opportunity. Or people will buy online from Chapters and have it delivered to their home. Or if it's an absolute necessity they can take transit (40 min), a taxi (14 min), walk (5km), bike (20min), or ask a friend to drive them. Times and distances courtesy of Google Maps.

Comment

Working...
                                X