Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Anyone know what will happen to the Packrat Louie space? Bottega 104 came and went, is all I know.
    So yesterday I heard the owners of Packrat bought the spot back and we’re going to open the new place. Pretty wild.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• I found this:
      https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs/view/ki...%29-1401378810

Kitchen Staff

Lyon on Whyte (Kitchen and Bar)Edmonton, CA

2 weeks ago Be among the first 25 applicants

No longer accepting applications

Edmonton, AB
      Part-time
      $13 - $22 an hour
      **Lyon Kitchen and Bar**
      A brand new Whyte ave area hot spot, Lyon Kitchen and Bar is looking to recruit a superstar team that is passionate about the restaurant industry and wants to help create the best customer experience on Whyte!
      Are you fun, energetic, and outgoing? Interested in working with amazing and talented people? If that sounds like you then please apply by leaving a cover letter and resume! We would love to hear from you!
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Sad to see Lillo’s and Avenue close- Whyte used to have very distinctive boutiques, but landlords and the economy are seeing to that.

At least there’s a new candy store on the Ave- fewer bulk options, but more obscure stuff, which is great. And they wised up and went to the good, busy side of the street, which will definitely help compared to the older shops.

Comment

• I've driven by the Raymond (? where the gas station sat forever) Block and boy does it bring a totally-unneeded strip-mall ambience to that section of Whyte Ave. Those shops could be anywhere in any city.
          I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Yeah, good luck finding a boutique-y place to afford the rent anywhere in THAT monster of a building. No, they had to go with *7-11*, the most podunk of all shops, completely making the side of the building look hideous. At least Remedy is a local company, though I know a few people who were screwed by working there. That shop is a MONSTER, though- thing takes up almost the whole side of the building.

Comment

• Lyon is open now - walked past it tonight and took a look at the menu (wish I had taken a photo of it). Looks like a similar menu to PL (remembering the one time I went years and years ago).

Jabroniville, Rocket Fizz is extremely expensive. I found my favorite chocolate bar in there for $10, nearly double the cost of MEC ($6). It's overpriced, and I doubt I'll be spending money in there.
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• Recent closure announcements not a sign of trouble for Whyte Ave: business community

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Oh man, CHAPTERS is closing?? Now that’s an agonizing one- that store is one of my favorites of all time, and a constant source for me. That’s horrible.

“Not a sign” Whyte is in trouble? Sure- it’s just been ruined of boutiques and is now a source for tat-shops and the same stuff you can find anywhere. No character at all.

Comment

• While on my commute to work on Monday afternoon, I noticed the interior of the Crystal Glass on 100st. was cleared bare. The outside signage was still there but I think the business is gone for good.
                    Last edited by North Guy66; 13-08-2019, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                      That Chapters is probably closing cause of the amount of theft. I know for a fact the street kids in Old Strathcona steal hundreds of thousands of dollars of merchandise from that store annually, mostly cause of the layout. Winners will have the same problems without some major structural changes. Seems like a strange choice for Whyte Ave retail. I would really like to see Chapter’s open somewhere else on Whyte in one of the new developments proposed for the neighbourhood.
                      That makes a lot of sense- the Save-On Foods has the same problem (it's why they got rid of that triangle shelving space at the front- it let people hide from staff). I think all of Whyte, but especially the big stores (who can't watch everyone), are suffering from that. I won't dwell on the point, since last time the posts got moved, but you'll see a LOT of dirtbags up and down Whyte on any given day (someone actually came into Subway to harass me to buy some joints from him, then he tried rapid-fire "small talk"), and this is really affecting a lot of stores negatively.

Comment

• Mourning the closure of a huge chain store which decimated all the smaller book stores, added a Starbucks to the ave, and aside from the corner entrance is pretty much entirely closed off from the street is not something I expected to read on this forum. I get that a Winners isn't ideal, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the logic that Chapters was some sort of Whyte Ave lynch-pin.

Comment

• Chapters is major contributor to the death of independent booksellers & the reason there's no other (new) book stores in the area.

I miss Greenwoods' original location. Heck, I even miss the one that closed 7ish years ago. Way bigger of a loss to Whyte Ave than some corporate megamart.

That being said, I'm not sure Winners is such a bad idea from a community perspective. It fills a needed niche, especially if they move to more of the housewares & such versus a more clothing-centric layout. It's no benefit to it as a "destination shopping street" but not everything has to be.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I remember the uproar when Chapters first moved into that location

Comment

• Stockholm syndrome for the corporations that sucked the soul outta Whyte.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I'll be shocked if it's not a Homesense/Winners like virtually all of their other stores. It actually could be great for the residential population of the area, but of course it will take a toll on a number of smaller stores. I saw someone else mention that the biggest victim could be Army & Navy since there's a lot of crossover there.

Comment

Working...
                                X