Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A food hall at your local mall ?

https://apple.news/ANu-avtWcRs2BBt2m796Uww

I think it's a decent idea. I was in Tokyo a while ago and enjoyed the food halls in the basements of so many building. But there's a large variety of things there - full meals to bite sized eats with varying price ranges. If we're only talking about higher end full meals, I don't see that as particularly appealing except for once in a while.

The only Canadian example I can think of that I've been to is the Food District in Square One, Mississauga. It's in the pricier range but there's a bit of a mix of everything. It's an alright place to just walk around and enjoy since it's colourful and active and you can enjoy the atmosphere even if you aren't looking to buy anything. It's an urban component that's missing in Canada, especially in a car-centric, suburban wasteland like Mississauga.

All the same, I just find malls tiring and not pleasant and prefer outdoor streets and plazas. I hope mall owners find more creative ways to appeal to people not just as shopping centers, but as gathering places.

Comment

Originally posted by Calfaer View Post
      I think it's a decent idea. I was in Tokyo a while ago and enjoyed the food halls in the basements of so many building. But there's a large variety of things there - full meals to bite sized eats with varying price ranges. If we're only talking about higher end full meals, I don't see that as particularly appealing except for once in a while.

The only Canadian example I can think of that I've been to is the Food District in Square One, Mississauga. It's in the pricier range but there's a bit of a mix of everything. It's an alright place to just walk around and enjoy since it's colourful and active and you can enjoy the atmosphere even if you aren't looking to buy anything. It's an urban component that's missing in Canada, especially in a car-centric, suburban wasteland like Mississauga.

All the same, I just find malls tiring and not pleasant and prefer outdoor streets and plazas. I hope mall owners find more creative ways to appeal to people not just as shopping centers, but as gathering places.
      Hey, wasn't there a food court in the basement of City Centre not so long ago and at one time a department store had a food fair in the basement (grocery store with deli, restaurant, etc..) there too? If you are around for a while, everything old is new again. I suspect many of the mall food courts will eventually be lightly renovated and rebranded as food halls, as it sounds so much more trendy and nicer.

Comment

Woodwards Edmonton Centre had the grocery/deli in the basement. The restaurant was on an upper floor.

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
          Woodwards Edmonton Centre had the grocery/deli in the basement. The restaurant was on an upper floor.
          I think Woodwards had two restaurants.

On the top floor by the toy department, i vaguely remember a cafeteria, correct me if i am wrong.

One thing i am 100% sure of, on the lowest floor was the food floor, deli and a sit down restaurant. It had a Tudor decor and large clientele. I went there often, just about everytime i went downtown alone or with my mother. A salad, clubhouse sandwich, coffee and lemon meringue pie was her favorite.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Edmonton PRT:

I think you are correct about that. But it was more of an Orange Julius-style kiosk than a cafeteria, IIRC. There was a little area where you could sit down and eat.

The toy department being nearby is ringing a bell. What I recall mostly is that the section where you could buy wall posters was just behind it.

I could be wrong about that, but I do remember SOME downtown department store had one of those little kiosks on an upper floor. Woodwards seems like the most likely candidate.

The Woowards in Southgate had a genuine cafeteria upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

I think Woodwards had two restaurants.

On the top floor by the toy department, i vaguely remember a cafeteria, correct me if i am wrong.

One thing i am 100% sure of, on the lowest floor was the food floor, deli and a sit down restaurant. It had a Tudor decor and large clientele. I went there often, just about everytime i went downtown alone or with my mother. A salad, clubhouse sandwich, coffee and lemon meringue pie was her favorite.
              Yes, the Tudor decor! That's exactly what it looked like and it was definitely on the lower floor. I only ate there a couple times, but went by it many, many times.

There could have also been something else more cafeteria style upstairs, but I don't recall that.

Comment

The Tudor decor was part of the English theme from the owners. IIRC, the waitresses and waiters were in English livery and the waitresses wore a white cloth hair covering. My German mom, who looked a bit like QEII, loved going to the restaurant as a special treat and felt like royalty, especially when served because she was usually feeding our family at home. Back in the 70's, i can recall that my dad only took us to a restaurant maybe one a year so going to Woodwards with my mom, she did without my dad knowing.

She loved the selection in the Woodwards food floor but found the prices too high. One of her friends worked as a cashier in the food floor at Northgate for years and it was a well paying job. I cant remember exactly but i think she made $15 and hour which would be like $50 today

Before the food giants like Safeway broke the unions, a grocery store job was a great paying one.
                Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 12-02-2020, 06:59 AM.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

So, what is new here asides from a higher end menu and cost ?
                  " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Working...
                  X