Jasper Avenue Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    With the way the markets have been going these last few weeks, I doubt the Jasper Ave makeover is likely to happen anytime soon. Money is about to get VERY tight for the City of Edmonton. I wouldn't doubt if we see many important projects canceled or put on hold.
    No. Not really, public projects are typically used to stimulate economic growth when times are slow. Yes, cash is tight and credit is going to be tough to recieve, but we're fortunate to live in a country that has a balanced budget, low debt and a province that is performing well economically.

There was an RFP that closed back in early September to create a new urban design and public realm concept for Jasper from 97th Street to 111 Street. It was slightly convoluted as the overall budget was low. I have a feeling that it will be 'reissued' properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
      Well like it or not if you want to have life on Jasper ave past a certain time at night you need to have at least a few night clubs. Now I think that maybe one or two more night clubs might be ok somewhere further east along Jasper Ave. Add to that a 3 or 4 quality restaurants as well as a couple nice cafe's and that should give some additional life to the avenue.
      I didn't say that there should be no bars on Jasper Ave., as I'm no Prohibition Patty. What I meant was scuzzy bars. I have no problem with higher-end bars and lounges such as The Bank or Liquid Lounge, it's the ones such as Oil City that keep non-bar people (especially pedestrians) away from certain parts of the downtown core. It's one thing to make downtown a hip trendy place to go, it's another to turn it into another wild drinking destination that will prevent some people from going there.

And as for making Jasper Ave. a pedestrian-only street, that's not a good idea. Downtown Edmonton's east-west traffic corridors are already limited to two or three continuous roads (104th, Jasper, and 100th), and removing one of them would make driving downtown more of a nightmare than it already is.
      Last edited by Megatron; 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM. Reason: Expanding my thought

Comment

"Keeping people away", who? While I agree there have been some issues associated with some bars on Jasper (Fox, Oil City), there has been a significant increase in police presence on the strip and many bar owners are working with the EPS to curb / prevent the violence (aka stupidity) that was becoming an issue. I have no issue with Oil City as I've been there a few times and had a great time.

Jasper Ave as pedestrian only.....HAHAHAHAHA. Worst idea I've heard to date.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
          Jasper Ave as pedestrian only.....HAHAHAHAHA. Worst idea I've heard to date.
          My thoughts exactly... but be careful, apparently I already offended Anony Mous when I commented on one of his/her other ridiculous ideas on another thread. Apparently Anony Mous will never post again on C2E. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
            Originally posted by Anony Mous View Post

Can't recall either but it cannot come soon enough. Oh for the heady days when Jasper was like a promenade with cafes, upscale lounges, book stores, art stores, patios...I miss it and wish we could take back the Avenue!
            Unfortunately I don' think that will happen given the rise in the number of bars on Jasper Ave. And not the nice kinds of bars, the Oil City Roadhouse kind. How does City Hall think that they can turn Jasper into an trendy and sophisticated place to go when you have a bunch of scuzzy bars setting up shop, turning it into a nighttime Whyte Ave 2?
            I agree with you that we have to take steps to make sure that Jasper doesn't turn in to a strip of seedy bars. But I take issue with you claiming that that is what it is RIGHT NOW. Right now, there's not a whole heck of a lot of anything along Jasper ave East of 109th street. There's entire blocks with little to nothing facing Jasper Ave. And after 6pm, most of what little there is closes. So yes maybe you get the impression that a couple bad bars are taking over the place, but there's what two or three that have caused problems (Oil City, Fox (which has been there forever), and maybe The Bank)? A total of maybe a hundred feet of Jasper Ave frontage are the "scuzzy" bars that you have a problem with.

I also take issue with your comparison to Whyte Ave. We'd be so lucky for Jasper to have anything resembling the mix of commercial enterprises that Whyte has.

The problem with Jasper Ave east of 109th is that it's mostly empty after 6pm, that we don't have any nice lounges, retail, cafes, art stores, patios etc save for a very limited selection. It's NOT a problem of too many bars, because there's less than a handful of them.

Honestly, the people who I hear complaining the most about the "bar problem" on Jasper are more often than not the people that don't come to Jasper in the evening or weekend anyway. Those of us that live on or just off Jasper are more than happy to have more people down here, even if a very small percentage of those people can occasionally cause problems. The more people that come down here, the better chance we have of Jasper ave filling in East of 109th with places that don't just cater to the 9-5 crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by raz0469 View Post
              Originally posted by Megatron View Post
              Originally posted by Anony Mous View Post

Can't recall either but it cannot come soon enough. Oh for the heady days when Jasper was like a promenade with cafes, upscale lounges, book stores, art stores, patios...I miss it and wish we could take back the Avenue!
              Unfortunately I don' think that will happen given the rise in the number of bars on Jasper Ave. And not the nice kinds of bars, the Oil City Roadhouse kind. How does City Hall think that they can turn Jasper into an trendy and sophisticated place to go when you have a bunch of scuzzy bars setting up shop, turning it into a nighttime Whyte Ave 2?
              I agree with you that we have to take steps to make sure that Jasper doesn't turn in to a strip of seedy bars. But I take issue with you claiming that that is what it is RIGHT NOW. Right now, there's not a whole heck of a lot of anything along Jasper ave East of 109th street. There's entire blocks with little to nothing facing Jasper Ave. And after 6pm, most of what little there is closes. So yes maybe you get the impression that a couple bad bars are taking over the place, but there's what two or three that have caused problems (Oil City, Fox (which has been there forever), and maybe The Bank)? A total of maybe a hundred feet of Jasper Ave frontage are the "scuzzy" bars that you have a problem with.

I also take issue with your comparison to Whyte Ave. We'd be so lucky for Jasper to have anything resembling the mix of commercial enterprises that Whyte has.

The problem with Jasper Ave east of 109th is that it's mostly empty after 6pm, that we don't have any nice lounges, retail, cafes, art stores, patios etc save for a very limited selection. It's NOT a problem of too many bars, because there's less than a handful of them.

Honestly, the people who I hear complaining the most about the "bar problem" on Jasper are more often than not the people that don't come to Jasper in the evening or weekend anyway. Those of us that live on or just off Jasper are more than happy to have more people down here, even if a very small percentage of those people can occasionally cause problems. The more people that come down here, the better chance we have of Jasper ave filling in East of 109th with places that don't just cater to the 9-5 crowd.
              I never said that that was Jasper Ave's problem right now. I was referring to what could happen if the city isn't careful and allowed the quality of the bars on it to slip. I probably wasn't careful enough with the words I used, so as it appeared that I was overgeneralizing and indicating that that was the current problem.

Comment

On the idea of creating a pedestrian dominated roadway, I agree that I wouldn't want to see Jasper ave turned to that, we need to add activity to the road not lessen it.

104 st. I think would be a perfect road to do something like that on. The pedestrian walk could extend from Jasper Ave all the way north to 104 Ave. That street is already been taking shape with all the work close to Jasper Ave and I think if the rest of the road can be made similar it will make a great small pedestrian oriented street. With that said though the road should only be closed a certain times of the day, not permanantly.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

jasper was hopping last night
                  Last edited by IanO; 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

hoping for what?

Comment

haha my bad...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

While not really part of the makeover, I did see a little piece of good news for Jasper Ave today. A "Funky Pickle - Coming Soon" sign was posted on the window of the small space right beside the Paramount (a donair shop recently vacated that space). It looks like there is a fair amount of interior reno work going on in there (AJ Interiors also has a sign on the window). While not huge news, every little bit helps.

Comment

^ Sweeeeet.
                          Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

And that likely means that the rumoured Procura tower is onhold indefinitely? Not a bad thing. I'd much rather see the few retail spaces that we have get used, than watch them sit empty for fear of a possible demolition order that may never come.

Comment

It doesn't mean it is on hold indefinitely... just look at the new bar that is supposed to open up where the Globe is now. Who's to say they won't be forced to close in a year?

Comment

^ I'm just glad that the Hat and Funky Pickle are confident enough to set up shop, and that the demo clause bogeyman has been lifted (even if it might technically still be in place).

Now if only something would set up in the Adecco space on the corner and make use of the nice big windows...

Comment

Working...
                                X