Jasper Avenue Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper Avenue Makeover

I remember reading that Jasper Avenue will be getting a makeover soon, just cant remember when?

Originally posted by Bray88 View Post
    I remember reading that Jasper Avenue will be getting a makeover soon, just cant remember when?
    Can't recall either but it cannot come soon enough. Oh for the heady days when Jasper was like a promenade with cafes, upscale lounges, book stores, art stores, patios...I miss it and wish we could take back the Avenue!

Comment

Definitely will be nice to see a makeover happen on Jasper ave.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

The thread that talks about this is here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...+avenue&page=2

Comment

With the way the markets have been going these last few weeks, I doubt the Jasper Ave makeover is likely to happen anytime soon. Money is about to get VERY tight for the City of Edmonton. I wouldn't doubt if we see many important projects canceled or put on hold.

Comment

^ So business as usual for the CoE...

Comment

Originally posted by Anony Mous View Post

Can't recall either but it cannot come soon enough. Oh for the heady days when Jasper was like a promenade with cafes, upscale lounges, book stores, art stores, patios...I miss it and wish we could take back the Avenue!
              Unfortunately I don' think that will happen given the rise in the number of bars on Jasper Ave. And not the nice kinds of bars, the Oil City Roadhouse kind. How does City Hall think that they can turn Jasper into an trendy and sophisticated place to go when you have a bunch of scuzzy bars setting up shop, turning it into a nighttime Whyte Ave 2?

Comment

Well like it or not if you want to have life on Jasper ave past a certain time at night you need to have at least a few night clubs. Now I think that maybe one or two more night clubs might be ok somewhere further east along Jasper Ave. Add to that a 3 or 4 quality restaurants as well as a couple nice cafe's and that should give some additional life to the avenue.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

there is an RFP out there if i recall for this...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                    Well like it or not if you want to have life on Jasper ave past a certain time at night you need to have at least a few night clubs. Now I think that maybe one or two more night clubs might be ok somewhere further east along Jasper Ave. Add to that a 3 or 4 quality restaurants as well as a couple nice cafe's and that should give some additional life to the avenue.
                    Right, there would have to be a mixture of bars, lounges, restaurants, preferably high-end facilities. I read a similar suggestion by the St. Albert city council wanting to revamp the "downtown" core and introduce more lounges, restaurants etc. to bring the people back into the city for its nightlife rather than it mostly being north of the trail.

Jasper Avenue is the main street in our city, maybe it needs to be partially pedestrianized; not sure how that could be done, but maybe we need to get rid of vehicles just like they did in Calgary with a very successful Stephen Avenue.

Comment

Right, there would have to be a mixture of bars, lounges, restaurants, preferably high-end facilities. I read a similar suggestion by the St. Albert city council wanting to revamp the "downtown" core and introduce more lounges, restaurants etc. to bring the people back into the city for its nightlife rather than it mostly being north of the trail.

Jasper Avenue is the main street in our city, maybe it needs to be partially pedestrianized; not sure how that could be done, but maybe we need to get rid of vehicles just like they did in Calgary with a very successful Stephen Avenue.
                      Ummm, absolutely not... not on Jasper Avenue at least.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post

"Absolutely not...." what are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post

"Absolutely not...." what are you referring to?
                          Turning Jasper Ave into a pedestrian only zone... not a good idea. If this is going to happen anywhere in our core, it'll happen around Churchill Sq, RHW, and 104 St, but not Jasper Ave.
                          Last edited by etownboarder; 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

^ Absolutely not to turning Jasper into a pedestrian only strip. Or at least that's my interpretation of etownboarder's response...To which I fully agree.
                            Pedestrian malls can be done well and I wouldn't mind a Stephen Ave or Sparks Street of our own, but I think that sort of development would be better suited to Rice Howard Way or maybe 104st.
                            Jasper on the other hand, should be more analogous to a st. Catharines or a Yonge Street in my mind. That is to say, a major street that has lots of vehicular and pedestrian activity, but isn't necessarily the best street in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Renton View Post
                              ^ Absolutely not to turning Jasper into a pedestrian only strip. Or at least that's my interpretation of etownboarder's response...To which I fully agree.
                              Pedestrian malls can be done well and I wouldn't mind a Stephen Ave or Sparks Street of our own, but I think that sort of development would be better suited to Rice Howard Way or maybe 104st.
                              Jasper on the other hand, should be more analogous to a st. Catharines or a Yonge Street in my mind. That is to say, a major street that has lots of vehicular and pedestrian activity, but isn't necessarily the best street in town.
                              Exactly...

Comment

Working...
                              X