Con Boland House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it was to look like this...

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• This is what was over the height guidlines.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• I like the original, higher building, personally.
        They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

• As do I.

Comment

• Definitely. I would rather look across at #1 than #2.

Comment

• I like #2, less faux historical. Window sizing and proportions don't work on #1

This is what happens when you stick to exact letter of the bylaws - 1/2 gables over 2 stories are allowed over the height limit, but 2 1/2 story flat roofs are not.
              www.decl.org

Comment

• House #1 is just a designing hot mess. It's like a dogs breakfast. The big window above the garage has a touch of Tudor design, then there are modern elements. The rest is a mishmash of drunken sailor and wannabe architect. House No. 2 looks like a three-plex.
                Having said that, I think the city should let Mr. Boland go ahead and finish it, but hopefully modify it so the outside looks better than it does. Or, if Mr. Boland sells it, as is, that the new owner has a better concept of what it should look like.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• Tour link here..

http://www.conboland.com/mailing/2014_June.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by KC View Post
                    Oh noooo... you resurrected this abominable thread... This has been going on for how long??? Eight years? Google maps still shows both properties for sale... I guess he couldn't find any interested parties...
                    Don't ever take investment advice from someone who is still working for a living!

Comment

• Those who forget the past...

I wonder what triggered the original redesign. It looked like it was going to be a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by niceroads View Post
                        It's smart building with a flat roof it makes the usable in regards to water collection, gardening, praticality. For building in a city thats so anal about hight restrictions etc the flat roof comparable to the traditional steepsd is smart.
                        Also Con's an artist I'm when done would look much nicer than any other stucture or home in this city.
                        Anyone have a picture of what it looks like today?

Comment

• The original design:

http://www.conboland.com/mailing/sept_2009.htm

"You may recall our first appeal was rejected primarily due to the concerns of the nearby housing co-operative. Since then, this same cooperative has constructed a three-story apartment complex 60 meters from my present home.

Another neighbour, with zoning restrictions identical to ours, was permitted to build a new
                          3-storey "over code" home just down the street.

"
                          pic from source above

http://www.conboland.com/mailing/2014_June.htm
                          pic from source above
                          Last edited by KC; 05-06-2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X