Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton - The Brasilia of the north

Check out this proposal from 1956

I'm glad only the CN tower and the old City Hall was built.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Call me mean...but I am glad that version of City Hall is long gone. I always hated that building....
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

That first pic is scary...Brasilia indeed

Comment

I'm sorry I love Brasilia!

Comment

Originally posted by canucklehead
            I'm sorry I love Brasilia!
            I agree. In fact, Brasilia has some of the best examples of post modern architecture that has stood the test of time. Sure the large boulevards and open areas are suburban in nature, however, it works quite well. Most of the parks and plaza areas between the boulevards are used extensively by office workers, pedestrians, etc.

Comment

The following is from the web site of someone that lives in Brasilia:

- Positive:

the city is not threatened by any kind of natural disaster;
              virtually no air pollution;
              many and large green areas.
              good climate: the temperature is very pleasant all year (never too hot, never too cold), and sunny days (and beautiful sunsets) are very common.

- Negative:

housing prices are very high, compared to other Brazilian cities;
              public transportation is inefficient. The urban bus system has a lot of deficiencies; the construction of Brasilia's subway is going slowly because of funds shortage. As a consequence, most of the people who have cars commute by car;
              foreigners usually dislike that only few people are to be found on the streets, and the great distances between the buildings;
              the newer satellite towns have very few green areas, unlike some other satellite towns and the Pilot Plan itself;
              many of the famous buildings are beautiful but not functional.

* Note: I think it's often easier to point out negative rather than positive points about any city. I love to live in Brasilia and I would not like to move to any other city (in the last 10 years, I have visited dozens of cities, both in Brazil and in more than 20 other countries). It is also important to say that, according to inquires, most of Brasilia's inhabitants like to live in the city.
              I think the points of main interest are the mild climate, outdoor plazas at -30 are not pleasant, and of the negatives the comments about few people found on the streets and the need to travel by car. Do these last two sound familiar? ( Especially the subway stalled due to lack of funds! )

Many of the things we complain about in our city are very "Brasilia like" and I believe stem from the same basic causes: putting automobiles and symbolic architecture ahead of people and daily living

Comment

Originally posted by CSR
                The following is from the web site of someone that lives in Brasilia:

- Positive:

the city is not threatened by any kind of natural disaster;
                virtually no air pollution;
                many and large green areas.
                good climate: the temperature is very pleasant all year (never too hot, never too cold), and sunny days (and beautiful sunsets) are very common.

- Negative:

housing prices are very high, compared to other Brazilian cities;
                public transportation is inefficient. The urban bus system has a lot of deficiencies; the construction of Brasilia's subway is going slowly because of funds shortage. As a consequence, most of the people who have cars commute by car;
                foreigners usually dislike that only few people are to be found on the streets, and the great distances between the buildings;
                the newer satellite towns have very few green areas, unlike some other satellite towns and the Pilot Plan itself;
                many of the famous buildings are beautiful but not functional.

* Note: I think it's often easier to point out negative rather than positive points about any city. I love to live in Brasilia and I would not like to move to any other city (in the last 10 years, I have visited dozens of cities, both in Brazil and in more than 20 other countries). It is also important to say that, according to inquires, most of Brasilia's inhabitants like to live in the city.
                I think the points of main interest are the mild climate, outdoor plazas at -30 are not pleasant, and of the negatives the comments about few people found on the streets and the need to travel by car. Do these last two sound familiar? ( Especially the subway stalled due to lack of funds! )

Many of the things we complain about in our city are very "Brasilia like" and I believe stem from the same basic causes: putting automobiles and symbolic architecture ahead of people and daily living
                Fair assessment, however, one persons comments is just that, one persons comments.

Comment

It's fine in moderation.

Comment

Working...
                  X