Your ideal garage would include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
    Sanctimony? Bullshi+. Look in your mirror, degenerate loser.

Creeps who spend all their time in the bridge thread whining about the unwelded plates have nothing to say to anyone actually human.

Garages were sheds once. Sheds are better for you than garages, anyway. Apply your grumping to the people above who talked about shelving, ceiling cavities and all the rest of it.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      So do I.

Note I said the ideal garage and the ideal world.
      In the ideal garage and the ideal world, I need a garage for my Millennium Falcon...
      Well, I’d use a transporter. So then just having an ideal garage sitting empty wouldn’t be ideal because it would be a horrible waste of resources. How many garages did you see on Star Trek? Though even those guys often left a trail of destruction and debris across space, not to mention frequently firing off phasers or proton torpedoes into space with no concern for those on the other side of the quadrant.

On the other hand, with no vehicle, I could store a flying sub in my ideal garage. Does Uber tow on request?

http://www.vttbots.com/Graphics/wing..._2bresized.jpg
      Last edited by KC; 16-05-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I live a somewhat strange life where I both love walk-ability and downtown living, but also acreage life and messing around with anything with an engine.

My ideal "garage"(s) would be a single parking space in a downtown condo where I have a cheap commuter car and perhaps a motorcycle, and then also an acreage <30 minutes out of town where I have a large multi-bay, high roof shop. I'll admit, I love old junk, whether it's cars, trucks, sleds, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, it's all fun and cool to work on and mess around with. Just somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city living, and store all my various projects I acquire.
        I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

Sanctimony? Bullshi+. Look in your mirror, degenerate loser.

Creeps who spend all their time in the bridge thread whining about the unwelded plates have nothing to say to anyone actually human.

Garages were sheds once. Sheds are better for you than garages, anyway. Apply your grumping to the people above who talked about shelving, ceiling cavities and all the rest of it.
          Ok, I guess I won’t ask about ideal bathroom design.

BTW I have not one but two outhouses. (One needs a new hole dug but I don’t think that’s allowed anymore. So, so much for that exercise opportunity.) Nonetheless they get you out and going. Think of the health benefits!

Comment

Actually, Star Trek had a garage...

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by nickv View Post
              I live a somewhat strange life where I both love walk-ability and downtown living, but also acreage life and messing around with anything with an engine.

My ideal "garage"(s) would be a single parking space in a downtown condo where I have a cheap commuter car and perhaps a motorcycle, and then also an acreage <30 minutes out of town where I have a large multi-bay, high roof shop. I'll admit, I love old junk, whether it's cars, trucks, sleds, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, it's all fun and cool to work on and mess around with. Just somewhere to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city living, and store all my various projects I acquire.
              You’d have loved the acreage place I was in last summer in BC (for a wedding reception). An about 60’x100’ or larger two-storey high “shop” with a mezzanine for storing / displaying their racing machines and a house attached. Their fitness is great because they spend most of it in the backcountry and up in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                Actually, Star Trek had a garage...

Well, transport me back in time! I totally forgot about that!

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                  I buy reliable vehicles with long warranties. I never do any mechanics and prefer it that way. Just don't enjoy working on vehicles and never have. As a homeowner though I'm very into repairing things so have a good long work bench, several saws, lots of tools well organized. I repurposed old kitchen cupboards (Dads) and use them as garage storage for larger tools. On one wall I have large pegboards with 100's of tools displayed visually. Tools organized by project need. So that it takes me a few seconds to grab whatever I need. I've also stocked up on chargeable cordless tools now as that's the way to go. I have cordless chargeable everything from drivers, saws, to lawnmower, weedeater. They all work great.

All our camping supplies are blue binned on high shelf to just throw in the vehicle whenever we need them. So that whenever we go camping all I have to do is hook up trailer, throw two blue bins in the back and pack some clothes. All our trailer equipment also organized in one place.

Car stuff all together as well. Brushes, antifreeze, oil, car cleaing supplies etc. All one cupboard.

Everything organized. Paint cabinet with all its supplies, Power tool cabinet. Socket, drills, driver bits organized. Garden tool area, Screw/nail wall organizer and drawer for extra. Even separate drawer for all framing brackets (always keep an assortment on hand ready to do any project or repair) Chargers for tools and spare chargeable batteries all in one cupboard. (somewhere in my life I recognized what a timesaver organization is) Every wall space is efficiently used.

I've improvised hangers for bikes and for lumber to hang out of the way. Always like to have some on hand. Also one complete wall for hanging implements, shovels, garden tools etc. We have two car garage but park tent trailer in one stall. The roof of the tent trailer serves as extra counter space whenever we have big projects going on and need a lot of tools spread out. That way no bending and stuff to pick up tools and is all at easy reach.

Have two electric heaters in garage but don't use them as garage door is insulated and I find that working in there keeps me warm enough on all but the coldest days.

Time saving thngs people should have if they like to work;

Bench saw, band saw, drill press, vices. For someone that didn't much like shop I have a lot of what the shop teacher figured was essential in the woodwork department which I've come to enjoy using.

ps I'm an organizing freak now. Same way in the kitchen. put things in one place where I know where they are. The wife conspires to screw the kitchen organization out of kilter on a regular basis putting things in the *wrong* place... but not the garage, haha.

Its funny though the discussion this leads to;

Me:"Why would you put something there where you'll never find it"

Wife; "To get it out of the way"

Me: "Oh"

But keeping in mind I'm having this convo with somebody that loses their keys every other week..
                  I have vices!

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                    I have vices!
                    Me too, Bourbon, cigars, women...

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Originally posted by nickv View Post

You’d have loved the acreage place I was in last summer in BC (for a wedding reception). An about 60’x100’ or larger two-storey high “shop” with a mezzanine for storing / displaying their racing machines and a house attached. Their fitness is great because they spend most of it in the backcountry and up in the mountains.
                      That sounds like my dream set up, lol. Just maybe not in BC.
                      I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

Comment

Dorkiest car on earth.

Comment

Oversized three bay with a mezzanine for storage and high bay lighting. Insulated, heated and wired for 3⌀ power, Workbench area with a lift, overhead rolling gantry with a chainfall, big compressor with hard run lines throughout, TIG & oxy acetylene set, enough room I could do a collapsible paint booth if I wanted. Beer fridge, big TV and cool vintage stereo. A cubby with a separate overhead door for gardening stuff. Hopefully when I get back to BC I can build something like this.

Now, what to put in it ?

Luckily I already own one of my wish list cars, but with unlimited funds I'd drop a V-10 out of a BMW E60 M5 into the Volvo to give it just a little more oomph. Other stock to fill that garage could include an early 70's Datsun 280Z, an 84-85 Toyota Supra, an early 70's BMW 3.0 CS, a Benz 380SL for top down summer driving, A 1979 RX-7 and a late 70's Porsche 911. Oh yeah, and a Ferrari 308 if I had enough room
                            Last edited by 240GLT; 18-05-2018, 02:54 PM.
                            Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                            X