Your ideal garage would include?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your ideal garage would include?

If you built your ideal or dream garage what would you want?

A mechanic.

Comment

Good one kk

Many years ago my coworker had a mechanic for his garage. His wife. She built a 5.0 litre Mustang race car and took it to the track on weekends. Really funny when guys would try to impress her with their car smarts and thought it was her husband's car and she knew more about Fords than anyone I knew. She would then beat them on the track, even lapping them.

How about a loft/mancave/boom-boom-room?
      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

My ideal garage would be a portion of a large open warehouse space like Dan Tanna had in Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_(1978_TV_series)). Of course, that would mean being somewhere with no winter, which would be part of the ideal too.
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.

Comment

a series 1.5 xke...
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Spudly View Post
              My ideal garage would be a portion of a large open warehouse space like Dan Tanna had in Vegas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_(1978_TV_series)). Of course, that would mean being somewhere with no winter, which would be part of the ideal too.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...55986028_1.jpg

Comment

Well I was close - I used to have the brown chair in the foreground left.
                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                  a series 1.5 xke...
                  I see what you did there....
                  President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by lobbdogg View Post
                    I don't really need too much, but a large 3 car garage, that included a hoist, had enough room for a decent toolbox, and workbench.
                    This is a garage. The rest are man caves...and should be either in an attic or a basement.

I never understood the desire for super ornate garages. ...but then, I like to work on my cars. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a flat floor, tools, a hoist, and a wash bay.
                    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                      a series 1.5 xke...
                      I see what you did there....
                      been in love with them ever since i saw the first pictures in road & track when i was 11.

Comment

My all time favourite Jag. Red or British Racing Green Ken?

Comment

Originally posted by Cumberland View Post
                          My all time favourite Jag. Red or British Racing Green Ken?
                          british racing green if i had a choice although i have long felt the best colour for any jaguar is the colour of the one you’re driving...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                            Originally posted by lobbdogg View Post
                            This is a garage. The rest are man caves...and should be either in an attic or a basement.

I never understood the desire for super ornate garages. ...but then, I like to work on my cars. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a flat floor, tools, a hoist, and a wash bay.
                            I generally don’t work on my cars. Been mostly lucky that way.

I would use 3/4” plywood on all exposed walls so I could hang what needs to be hung, where it should be hung.

I have a wall that is floor to ceiling slat wall and I like that.

I like my large sump in the floor, water and vacuum outlets in the garage.

The frickin window in the middle of a wall sure screws up organizational options (like fireplaces). So do the house and side doors that are near flush with a wall leaving little space behind them for useful storage.

Plus the garage is too narrow by a foot but that was done to allow a driveway to a second rear garage. That said, I hate my 18” deep x 7’ high near wall to wall cupboards down one side because they squeeze the parking space. (Original owner must have only parked one vehicle in the garage as we need to back one vehicle in.)

Also I replaced a wall heater with a huge radiant heater. In a 8’6” ceiling room it useless for generally heating the room as the vehicles block the rays from warming the garage area at the far end by the overhead door. Snow will just sit there.

I like the windows I my overhead door and I cut and installed a glass insert into the side door for added light. Both work well for improving light.

I’d love ceiling cavities to hang and store things (bicycles, canoe, Thule roof box or whatever)

I didn’t like my florescent tubes so I replace them with strip lighting, which I hate even more. (Still looking for a great lighting method.)

I’d like more waterproof walls such as tile or sheet aluminum or stainless steel so I could wash my vehicle once and a while in the garage or at least just wash out the garage with ease.

Id like mid-height indented shelves for an air compressor etc and airlines in conduit behind the walls/above the ceiling feeding a retractable reel for convenience.

It’s 1970s construction and there are far too few plug ins.

As for ornateness - I like nice, sensible and clean and appealing designs so if the rest of my house including rooms where one “takes a dump” etc get inordinate amounts of money spent on them, why not spend a fraction more on the garage and why not place the same priority on appearances on the garage.

I’m not at all impressed with the crappy but expensive “man cave” cupboards with useless cosmetic-only checker plate faces. Checker-plate is for traction!
                            Last edited by KC; 13-05-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Shelves and lift system for storing the ski box on the ceiling. Also a granny suite for the kids to live in.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Working...
                              X