109 Street Make Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 109 Street Make Over

With all the talk on the threat about possibly a make over or a replacement of the High Level Bridge dues to low-floor LRT Central Circulators needs, and since we have have had a threat on Jasper Avenue make over and a project to get Edmontonians to envision Jasper Avenue in a new light; and seeing Procura has come up with space-age designs that screem: "I am not crap!" for their 109 Street and Jasper Avenue locations north of 100 Avenue: http://procura.ca/property/cascadia-lot/

I thought I would open a new thread for discussion on the make over 109 street.

Jasper Avenue and 109 Street are quite frankly two of the grandest boulevards in the City of Edmonton and should be treated as such.

I believe they are a Champs-Elyssées in the making.

End for end we are talking about 7.4 km from Princess Elizabeth Avenue at Blatchford to 63 Avenue at Pleasantview

True. Considering the amount of business and traffic on 109 street it is surprising little has been done to beautify it. All efforts to date have been completed completely by private interests.

Comment

Originally posted by David Jackson View Post
      With all the talk on the threat about possibly a make over or a replacement of the High Level Bridge dues to low-floor LRT Central Circulators needs, and since we have have had a threat on Jasper Avenue make over and a project to get Edmontonians to envision Jasper Avenue in a new light; and seeing Procura has come up with space-age designs that screem: "I am not crap!" for their 109 Street and Jasper Avenue locations north of 100 Avenue: http://procura.ca/property/cascadia-lot/

Jasper Avenue and 109 Street are quite frankly two of the grandest boulevards in the City of Edmonton and should be treated as such.

End for end we are talking about 7.4 km from Princess Elizabeth Avenue at Blatchford to 63 Avenue at Pleasantview
      Great idea. Rows of uniform, manicured trees, fountains, decorative lighting. Let's do it!

Comment

Originally posted by AAAAE View Post

Great idea. Rows of uniform, manicured trees, fountains, decorative lighting. Let's do it!

Yup
        Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

'I believe they are a Champs-Elyssées in the making'

Not quite, but it could be a much more encompassing and beautiful stretch.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Vive de Gaulle !

Comment

LOL.

Comment

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Oh wait, you're serious.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Oh wait, you're serious.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!
                  You may laugh, but the point was made. Two major intersecting main streets. Nice wide boulevards. We already have the makings of something nice, what can be done to make it all nicer.

BTW - I've walked Champs-Elyssées and even it too needs work, I wasn't exactly getting excited.

Comment

Similar, ish.

mine

Comment

Except for the buildings and the lack of gas station and tire outlet and strip mall, they're almost indistinguishable.

Comment

...or the dumpy diner, the colleage eateries, the liquor store, the fast food drive throughs, the student housing that is being run into the ground and should be condemned, and the crumbling centuries old railway bridge that will need to be replaced.

So let's reimage 109 Street and what it could be. Enough of these temporary structures that last 50 years and don't get take care of.

Comment

That's what we do here. If it's not the province preserving our buildings, it's a crap shoot with them.

We're lucky if we preserve the facade of our old buildings, let alone actually building something that's supposed to last 50+ years.

Look at the Coliseum. A large public building that's still in good physical shape and we couldn't wait to tear it down and replace it with a vacant lot. Why? Because we can build a brand new, shiny replacement and call the old arena a dump and an embarrassment. I can imagine what people are going to say about Rogers in 2060. What a sty. We deserve something new.

I agree with you for the most part but I'm also a realist. We're nowhere near having the public will to do something like you're suggesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X