X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you gotta go, but there’s no public toilet in sight

When you gotta go, but there’s no public toilet in sight
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle35782108/

In Canada, we behave as if urination, defecation and menstruation are not routine bodily functions, but are somehow optional if we are away from our homes.

We design, construct and maintain public spaces such as roads, sidewalks and parks, but act as if people using those spaces will never need a bathroom unless they are attending an “event” such as Canada Day, and you need to content yourself with a long line-up to use a porta-potty that requires you to hold your breath.

Toilets need to be considered a No. 1 (and No. 2) priority of urban design; they are essential for an inclusive, healthy society.

This is particularly true as the population ages, and more and more people live with chronic health conditions. A number of health issues affect bodily functions, including diabetes, colorectal cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, prostatitis, shingles, stroke and dementia, not to mention the regular needs of children, pregnant women, menstruating women and anyone with a bladder or a colon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I fully expect some resolution and movement on this for 2018.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
      I'm sure some architectural whiz will get right on it.

Comment

I wouldn't want to have that project dumped onto my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
          If there is some resistance, he can figure it out with a pencil...
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
            I wouldn't want to have that project dumped onto my desk.
            LOL! Good one...
            Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              Originally posted by overoceans View Post
              If there is some resistance, he can figure it out with a pencil...
              But with all the controversy, there could be leaks to the media.

Comment

That all depends!
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I got a whiff of something on the board.

This thread has gone right down the tubes.

Flush this thread..
                  "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Supposatory gets wind of this. What then?
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                      I got a whiff of something on the board.

This thread has gone right down the tubes.

Flush this thread..
                      Sh1t disturber...

Comment

This whole thread's gone septic. Tanked!
                        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

The activity stream is really gushing with posts about this...

Comment

Yeah, it is really plugging up the forum...

Comment

I tend to think our city has overlooked this for a very long time.

Perhaps part of the equation is that on an ongoing basis, the majority of us aren't regularly using public infrastructure other than roadways. We've been and continue to be a car-centric city and until this changes in earnest, the "need" hasn't really been apparent as we can typically get to a destination to conduct our business.

Of course, in practical terms, those out and about on a Friday/Saturday night or those out for an evening stroll do have limited options when nature calls. Many places in Europe tend to have the pay toilets. Public washrooms can be, and experience in this city has shown to be, quite expensive. Perhaps a pay-as-you-go (minor cost) concept could pay for the installation / maintenance of these washrooms.

This issue is also not new, but it isn't going away either. The more urban / walkable our city becomes, the more this issue will become problematic.

Here's a CBC article from 2009 outlining the issue:
                              http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...onton-1.794235

Any architects / planners care to chime in here as to how future development to buildings or streets could leverage these activities to install much less costly public washrooms? Could amendments to building codes assist with this issue by requiring certain facilities be built by developers?

Comment

Working...
                              X