Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacDonald Hotel

Found this article.

12 majestic photos of Edmonton’s Fairmont Hotel Macdonald from the early 20th century

Mackenzie Patterson Aug 7, 2015

"The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald is one of Edmonton’s oldest and most regal landmarks. Check out these vintage photos of the building for a charming blast from the past:..."

https://news-buzzbuzzhome-com.cdn.am...p/?amp_js_v=9#
    Last edited by KC; 23-04-2017, 05:52 PM.

I cannot believe how close this was to being lost.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
      I cannot believe how close this was to being lost.
      People only see what they want to see.

Remember when they pulled down the drywall to discover the original plasterwork hidden behind it.

Eg I recently bought a couple of great old stick wicker armchairs for one of the cabins. ($50 each!!! Nicer style than anything I can find online.) Dirt cheap considering most on line are $1k-$3k each. I don't know how many people had walked past them without blinking an eye. They probably saw the scraped edges (and other wear) and thought they were worthless. (Damage by the way that looked like it got there by some flunkies moving them.)

Another time got two of these for $35 each. Solid teak, someone stylish. Less than 10-cents on the $400 CAD replacement dollar. Hundreds of people certainly walked pass them and passed on them.
      https://4uniquehome.com/store/index....product_id=135

So my point is, if so many people can even see seemingly excessive financial discounts on products with easily assertainable value they surely can't see the non-financial value in such historical assets.
      Last edited by KC; 23-04-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

We'll see what the change bring. Based on their first attempt, I'm not holding my breath.

Planned lounge renovations at Hotel Macdonald on hold until March 2020

The post fired up many Edmontonians, who were less than thrilled with the efforts to add a modern edge while still preserving some of the lounge's retro feel.

Hotel Macdonald general manager Garrett Turta said management will meet this week to look over a second round of drawings.

"It has taken on a little bit more of a historic look with the furniture and stuff," Turta said. "So I think everyone will be in appreciation of the changes that are coming forward."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...2020-1.5247639

Comment

My guess is that with the JW doing a modern style, it simple makes even more sense to do a more historical/period look.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I think the new ownership just had no clue the city's (and many business travelers) love affair with the Mac just as is. Or, at best, horribly underestimated it.
            ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
              We'll see what the change bring. Based on their first attempt, I'm not holding my breath.

Planned lounge renovations at Hotel Macdonald on hold until March 2020

The post fired up many Edmontonians, who were less than thrilled with the efforts to add a modern edge while still preserving some of the lounge's retro feel.

Hotel Macdonald general manager Garrett Turta said management will meet this week to look over a second round of drawings.

"It has taken on a little bit more of a historic look with the furniture and stuff," Turta said. "So I think everyone will be in appreciation of the changes that are coming forward."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...2020-1.5247639
              Hm, the Epcor building in the background seems to jive quite well with the Mac.

(Sorry, maybe others have noticed this before, and I'm just late to the party.)

Comment

Working...
              X