Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Doodle Today - Jane Jacobs

Canadian urban design activist recognized by Google today:

When Jane Jacobs published The Death and Life of Great American Cities in 1961, she was a lone voice with no credentials speaking up against the most powerful ideas in urban planning. Fifty-five years later, on Jacobs's 100th birthday (honored in today's Google Doodle), urban dwellers are all living in her vision of the great American city.

The Death and Life of Great American Cities was a reaction to urban planning movements that wanted to clear entire city blocks and rebuild them. Jacobs argued this ignored everything that made cities great: the mixture of shops, offices, and housing that brought people together to live their lives. And her vision triumphed.

Jacobs's book transformed urban planning, throwing out the giant housing projects and sterile plazas that characterized the urban renewal movement in favor of a vision of a bustling, pedestrian-friendly city.
    http://www.vox.com/2016/5/4/11583342...100th-birthday

they guys are very creative , I like them, we can replay that old doodles from their site, and even play games

Comment

One of the most influential people of the last 50 years, though many don't realize it. Her work has influenced generations of leaders across the world to make our cities better places to live.

Comment

Saw it this morning........ and it just made my day

Comment

Originally posted by Jaerdo View Post
          One of the most influential people of the last 50 years, though many don't realize it. Her work has influenced generations of leaders across the world to make our cities better places to live.
          "better" What ideas did she promote?

Comment

The article states that her vision triumphed. Did it? It states that it transformed urban planning. Did it?

I could argue the complete opposite that since 1961 that nearly every dominant retail mode from Malls to Power Centers is the converse of what Jacobs would have wanted. With the shift to Power Centers being the least pedestrian friendly concept in retailing ever.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

I would say it's been a partial success, more so in some places than in others.
              But the recent (last 10-15 yrs) focus on downtown redevelopment, public transit, condos and walkability are all direct results of her work.
              Hopefully her vision will continue to guide us........

Comment

Working...
              X