Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Envelope Issues in Edmonton Low-rise Developments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eons View Post
    Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
    A properly engineered flat roof can last for decades even in upscale developments like this particular one. The problem has been assessed and it looks like it's going to be a minor assessment.

To say single family homes don't have issues is simply not true though man. I appreciate your opinion but YOU handle everything. When your well dies, if your satellite guy drilled holes into your roof and never tarred them, if the foundation cracks or leaks, if a water line freezes and bursts due to missed insulation, if the driveway sinks, if the landscaping wasn't done properly, if the septic field fails, if your furnace dies, etc etc.

These are all things to consider over 20 years of home ownership and they all happen eventually. It really adds up especially if you're the average person who doesn't maintain their own property and hires the work out.

It far outweighs the "once every ten years" assessment that condos receive.
    What I was saying is: flat roof should only be applied to very high end residential. At the lower end, no, it just doesn't compare to sloped roof.

Also, the feeling that "I" handle everything is good. You can do it or put the job in the hands of a GC that "YOU" trust. There are a lot of horror stories where condo board leaders gave contracts to their friends at inflated rates.
    Bang on; I agree.

I'd love to own a house but this condo is a long term play. I'm waiting for the surrounding development to happen in my area so that I can build some easy equity. That means I won't be living here forever and if I go purchase in say; Halifax, there's less maintenance for a younger guy like me whom still plans to hop around a bit.

Sloped roofs though - you're absolutely right.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

All roofs are sloped, even 'flat ones'... and they work just fine (like everything else), if done right.

They are used all the time and across typology/use/price range. Certainly you need have high quality workmanship as the likelihood of something occurring, especially in a cold climate, is higher.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
        All roofs are sloped, even 'flat ones'... and they work just fine (like everything else), if done right.

They are used all the time and across typology/use/price range. Certainly you need have high quality workmanship as the likelihood of something occurring, especially in a cold climate, is higher.
        Yes they are used all the time and across typology/use/price range. But they also fail brutally all the time, especially at colder climates and lower price ranges.

And yes "likelihood" is the king here. There are things you simply should avoid due to the increased likelihood. Drunk driving being one of them. More often than not, and especially when done right, drinking and driving won't harm you. But the catch is the increased likelihood. So is flat roof.

Comment

No they don't. We have 'flat' roofs on many/most of our projects without issue and certainly far more 'flat' roofs are out there than you might imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
            No they don't. We have 'flat' roofs on many/most of our projects without issue and certainly far more 'flat' roofs are out there than you might imagine.
            That's an invalid argument.

There are many drunk drivers who are never involved in any traffic accidents. Does that make drunk driving a safe practice?

Elevated risk is what we are talking about.

Comment

Calculated risk is what we are talking about.

Comment

Ian, would you agree it's easier to mess up a flat roof and have issues with it than a sloped roof?
                They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Generally speaking, yes, but you can certainly mess up a sloped roof as well.

Comment

yes, it's a "calculated" risk but the calculations will show that over their life-span that calculation will show it to be an elevated risk because it exists in numerous areas over time including:

initial design
                    initial construction
                    amplified weather/temperature related risk
                    riskier drain and water management
                    greater likelihood of water penetration
                    greater likelihood of access and related damage
                    greater likelihood of postponed repairs

it's also worth noting that residential owners are also the most likely ownership group (as opposed to commercial owners and landlords) to neglect their roofs and that flat roofs (even with their "positive drainage") are more likely to experience relatively catastrophic failures when compared to sloped roofs.
                    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I was hoping I could come onto this site and get some insight as I'm currently not getting any answers on a development that shall go unnamed.

Those of you with experience facing envelope issues perhaps could give me some insight. I haven't received a notice of assessment, but the condo that I bought into about a year ago is facing a leaking membrane issue that appears to have impacted the pedway system of all four levels of my inner court yard.

The area they are pulling up isn't large, probably only about 15 feet in length in all four floors, but two units have gone up for sale suddenly and the area surrounding the workspace is being supported by teleposts (something that could very well be just an engineering concern).

Does anyone else have any experience with such a problem? It's nowhere near as significant as other envelope issues in the city but I need to know if I should be preparing for an assessment as I cannot get a straight answer anywhere. The working being done is currently an inspection process.
                      "Does anyone else have any experience with such a problem? ... as I cannot get a straight answer anywhere."

As you know, we're all a bit quirky here.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                        I was hoping I could come onto this site and get some insight as I'm currently not getting any answers on a development that shall go unnamed.

Those of you with experience facing envelope issues perhaps could give me some insight. I haven't received a notice of assessment, but the condo that I bought into about a year ago is facing a leaking membrane issue that appears to have impacted the pedway system of all four levels of my inner court yard.

The area they are pulling up isn't large, probably only about 15 feet in length in all four floors, but two units have gone up for sale suddenly and the area surrounding the workspace is being supported by teleposts (something that could very well be just an engineering concern).

Does anyone else have any experience with such a problem? It's nowhere near as significant as other envelope issues in the city but I need to know if I should be preparing for an assessment as I cannot get a straight answer anywhere. The working being done is currently an inspection process.
                        "Does anyone else have any experience with such a problem? ... as I cannot get a straight answer anywhere."

As you know, we're all a bit quirky here.

I enjoy the sparring on this site! It really gives insight to the thoughts of local Edmontonians from all walks of life.
                        There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

Working...
                        X