Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Envelope Issues in Edmonton Low-rise Developments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envelope Issues in Edmonton Low-rise Developments.

I was hoping I could come onto this site and get some insight as I'm currently not getting any answers on a development that shall go unnamed.

Those of you with experience facing envelope issues perhaps could give me some insight. I haven't received a notice of assessment, but the condo that I bought into about a year ago is facing a leaking membrane issue that appears to have impacted the pedway system of all four levels of my inner court yard.

The area they are pulling up isn't large, probably only about 15 feet in length in all four floors, but two units have gone up for sale suddenly and the area surrounding the workspace is being supported by teleposts (something that could very well be just an engineering concern).

Does anyone else have any experience with such a problem? It's nowhere near as significant as other envelope issues in the city but I need to know if I should be preparing for an assessment as I cannot get a straight answer anywhere. The working being done is currently an inspection process.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Pedway and inner courtyard = Tessco? They have pretty much all had the same issue and it is absolutely criminal.

They are likely doing destructive investigation and in all likelihood it will be more severe than what you know of now due to the same detailing.

Sadly, these are often very expensive repairs.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Your condo board should be proactively communicating with the rest of the association about what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey_G
        It appears they're only opening up the pedway at this point and I do have loss assessment through my own personal insurance thankfully; so I guess we will have to wait and see.
        Hi can you please let me know through whom you have this policy? I'm in a Tessco clone, so far so good, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Safir View Post
          Originally posted by Stevey_G
          It appears they're only opening up the pedway at this point and I do have loss assessment through my own personal insurance thankfully; so I guess we will have to wait and see.
          Hi can you please let me know through whom you have this policy? I'm in a Tessco clone, so far so good, but you never know.
          Almost every insurance company will offer you Loss Assessment. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be covered but some insurance companies will work with you to NOT become financially crippled.

Comment

Loss Assessment seems fairly standard, however I was under the impression that claims arising from extraordinary assessments are not covered. I hope I'm wrong. In here most people who say they got assessments had to pay out of pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Safir View Post
              Loss Assessment seems fairly standard, however I was under the impression that claims arising from extraordinary assessments are not covered. I hope I'm wrong. In here most people who say they got assessments had to pay out of pocket.
              Yeah I'm covered upwards of 15,000 dollars. My State Farm agent is literally my neighbour and albeit I spend a couple bucks a month more for their insurance - they've always looked after me quite well and with honesty too.

Comment

Buy a single house. I am serious.

Comment

Cause they never leak...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                    Cause they never leak...
                    Most single houses have properly sloped roof and yeah they almost never leak.
                    Cheap apartment + flat roof = leak.

Comment

^ Honestly I think it's a wash. You don't hear the horror stories from homeowners because it usually just a single family being affected. Whereas a condo if something spectacular comes up, it's off to the media!

If you ever have spare time, I encourage you to visit the outer ring road developments when the workers have left site and wander through the builder's spec homes. You can see A LOT of potential issues. And each home seems to have it's own list of deficiencies. And most of the time, they're not caught before everything is covered up and signed off.

Comment

Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                        ^ Honestly I think it's a wash. You don't hear the horror stories from homeowners because it usually just a single family being affected. Whereas a condo if something spectacular comes up, it's off to the media!

If you ever have spare time, I encourage you to visit the outer ring road developments when the workers have left site and wander through the builder's spec homes. You can see A LOT of potential issues. And each home seems to have it's own list of deficiencies. And most of the time, they're not caught before everything is covered up and signed off.
                        I live outside AH ring road myself. The new developments are far superior than older ones.

Of course, every house has some deficiencies. And every generation has its own crappy builders. To think there weren't any crappy builders 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago is simply naive.

But that's beside the point. The point is, a newly built single house with a 6/12 pitched roof is far less likely to leak, as compared to a newly built 4 story apartment with flat roof. Flat roof can work in a high budget project, but not in sub $300k apartment.

Comment

A properly engineered flat roof can last for decades even in upscale developments like this particular one. The problem has been assessed and it looks like it's going to be a minor assessment.

To say single family homes don't have issues is simply not true though man. I appreciate your opinion but YOU handle everything. When your well dies, if your satellite guy drilled holes into your roof and never tarred them, if the foundation cracks or leaks, if a water line freezes and bursts due to missed insulation, if the driveway sinks, if the landscaping wasn't done properly, if the septic field fails, if your furnace dies, etc etc.

These are all things to consider over 20 years of home ownership and they all happen eventually. It really adds up especially if you're the average person who doesn't maintain their own property and hires the work out.

It far outweighs the "once every ten years" assessment that condos receive.

Comment

^depends. It's not uncommon for individual assessments to be over $40,000 per unit. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
                              A properly engineered flat roof can last for decades even in upscale developments like this particular one. The problem has been assessed and it looks like it's going to be a minor assessment.

To say single family homes don't have issues is simply not true though man. I appreciate your opinion but YOU handle everything. When your well dies, if your satellite guy drilled holes into your roof and never tarred them, if the foundation cracks or leaks, if a water line freezes and bursts due to missed insulation, if the driveway sinks, if the landscaping wasn't done properly, if the septic field fails, if your furnace dies, etc etc.

These are all things to consider over 20 years of home ownership and they all happen eventually. It really adds up especially if you're the average person who doesn't maintain their own property and hires the work out.

It far outweighs the "once every ten years" assessment that condos receive.
                              What I was saying is: flat roof should only be applied to very high end residential. At the lower end, no, it just doesn't compare to sloped roof.

Also, the feeling that "I" handle everything is good. You can do it or put the job in the hands of a GC that "YOU" trust. There are a lot of horror stories where condo board leaders gave contracts to their friends at inflated rates.

Comment

Working...
                              X