No announcement yet.

Streets for People: Edmonton Walkability Symposium - April 27, 28, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^its not just stairs, its bench's as well. Anything that provides a resting place, and if its poorly lit it will be even more desirable. I have brought this up before re some of the Quarters plans, where I said "that won't work, it will be a homeless magnet", but it seems then get accused "Edmonton can't have nice things". Its not that, its just you have to remove trouble areas, and design with the possibility of this happening, in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
      What the heck is it with stairs? The ones on 104 street seem to be a bit of a magnet for problems, as well. I don't think nearly to the extent that the others are, though.
      They're all in areas with not enough 'eyes on the street' or poorly lit. Most look more temporary than befitting of a modern, dense downtown core.
      www.decl.org

Comment

... and they're easy to sit on, away from the street, often with better views...
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

I am disgusted that downtown amenities for decent people -- such as stairs -- are removed, while the lowlife that infests the area and makes it unbearable is allowed to stay.

My opinion of the downtown community as it loudly proclaims itself through a couple of extremely representative members on here has sunk even lower.

By the way, I was downtown today, at Edmonton Centre, and one of these filthy stoned creeps tried to come close. Ugh. What a urinal the whole place is for all its vaunted advertising.
          Last edited by AShetsen; 22-12-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
            Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            What the heck is it with stairs? The ones on 104 street seem to be a bit of a magnet for problems, as well. I don't think nearly to the extent that the others are, though.
            They're all in areas with not enough 'eyes on the street' or poorly lit. Most look more temporary than befitting of a modern, dense downtown core.
            Odd reasoning as I doubt the new funicular staircase will have any more "eyes on the street". Although I imagine it will be properly lit.

Regardless, they probably shouldn't remove them without building a replacement set first.

Comment

Easy to criticize when you don't have to deal with the problem. Ashetsen, save your self-righteousness, you don't know the context, details nor who was involved. The stairs in question that were removed were not in great shape and rarely used. EPS, City had to weigh the pros and cons. Many stakeholders were consulted.
              Last edited by GreenSPACE; 22-12-2016, 11:02 AM.
              www.decl.org

Comment

^Your posts attacks the messenger. Your organization attacks the symptoms, not the problem.

And as long as that goes on, where you sleep will remain a pigsty.

Comment

A comprehensive CPTED review was done and this was the recommendation. MANY people avoided the use of those stairs and there is an option on 99ave/103st.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                    I should point out that those stairs were there for several decades and weren't really an issue until the homeless shelter opened in the motel next to Edmonton House.

No kidding.

The stairs are the problem.

Not the crack shack.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                      Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                      I should point out that those stairs were there for several decades and weren't really an issue until the homeless shelter opened in the motel next to Edmonton House.

No kidding.

The stairs are the problem.

Not the crack shack.
                      Yep. So shortsighted of the City to close the Stairs and especially at this time when access from the river valley to the downtown is extremely limited. At a time that we are supposedly promoting use of the river valley we are closing stairs to it. Wow, only in Edmonton?
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                        ^its not just stairs, its bench's as well. Anything that provides a resting place, and if its poorly lit it will be even more desirable. I have brought this up before re some of the Quarters plans, where I said "that won't work, it will be a homeless magnet", but it seems then get accused "Edmonton can't have nice things". Its not that, its just you have to remove trouble areas, and design with the possibility of this happening, in mind.
                        Divided opinion on this. I've had the same concern but the primary difficulty is the overall failure of LMP to consistently get general pop in the area and utilizing that area. Not at all helped by the COE itself several times boarding up and fencing areas for prolonged times including right now. The City does this far too often and with such shortsighted vision that they build something and then spend the rest of the time after having it under continual construction, disarray, fenced off etc.

More events, more development in that park, and actually working to make it a focal point would help. Its a known that if you build facilities that are not generally used by most citizens then somebody will move in and make use of it.

Reminds me of a summer Event on Whyte Avenue regarding usable art. they build these installations people can sit on and next thing you know street people are sleeping on them. Who saw that coming..
                        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                        X