Let's Talk Growth - Feb 25, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Growth - Feb 25, 2016

Edmonton's CITYLab is hosting: Let's Talk Growth the third event in our Great Ideas. Great City. speaker series featuring Brent Toderian. Mr. Toderian is the former Chief Planner for the City of Vancouver and has more than twenty years of experience from across Canada and around the world as a planner, urbanist and writer. He is a respected and recognized advocate for creative, vibrant, sustainable cities and city-building. Following his presentation we invite the audience to ask questions as part of a Q & A.
    Thursday February 25, 2016
    Art Gallery of Alberta (2 Sir Winston Churchill Square)
    Doors at 6:00pm; Talk at 6:30pm

FREE Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lets-ta...ts-21236288310

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Edmonton's CITYLab is hosting: Let's Talk Growth the third event in our Great Ideas. Great City. speaker series featuring Brent Toderian. Mr. Toderian is the former Chief Planner for the City of Vancouver and has more than twenty years of experience from across Canada and around the world as a planner, urbanist and writer. He is a respected and recognized advocate for creative, vibrant, sustainable cities and city-building. Following his presentation we invite the audience to ask questions as part of a Q & A.
    Thursday February 25, 2016
    Art Gallery of Alberta (2 Sir Winston Churchill Square)
    Doors at 6:00pm; Talk at 6:30pm

FREE Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lets-ta...ts-21236288310

I wish I was in town. I'm missing a few things this month and wanted to acquaint myself with some people from the community.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

Love these events; make it to every one so far.
      Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Reminder

Comment

Sold out, great to see!

Comment

New to this sort of thing but loved listening to Toderian. Apparently beards were mandatory.

Shocked to see the city's vision is one of 'radical incrementalism'. That is like Obama's "leading from (the) behind".

Toderian did say: "we are doing things better than the world thinks we are, but not as good as we think we are".

Personally, I think we produce a lot of glossy paper that never makes it to budget.

Comment

Agree, was a very interesting talk. I particularly liked his tendency to not group all solutions and approaches under one mantra. complex systems rarely have one simple solution to a problem. Streetscape improvement might work well with incrementalism but bike lanes was a great example of needing to complete a critical mass of a network to show its value - provided of course it is executed well - a recurring challenge for CoE administration.

Comment

An ok talk, but I am so sick and tired of Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by makenosmallplans View Post
                  bike lanes was a great example of needing to complete a critical mass of a network to show its value - provided of course it is executed well - a recurring challenge for CoE administration.
                  Bike lanes are an ideological issue. A gutless mayor will make no progress towards it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/doniveson/status/703306073168486401

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

https://twitter.com/AndrewKnack/stat...03210581102593

Andrew Knack ‏@AndrewKnack
                      [email protected] tells us the 8 words that don't help the conversation around growth.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Safir View Post
                        Originally posted by makenosmallplans View Post
                        bike lanes was a great example of needing to complete a critical mass of a network to show its value - provided of course it is executed well - a recurring challenge for CoE administration.
                        Bike lanes are an ideological issue. A gutless mayor will make no progress towards it.
                        I agree, bike lines are a conscious choice and a strong mayor and council are needed to push it through. as he alluded, show me your budget and i will show you your ideology. cars win.... again. more's the shame.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                          An ok talk, but I am so sick and tired of Vancouver.
                          ... sure - as soon as we are more urban than Vancouver i guess we can stop comparing.

Comment

It is a bad comparison and even a bit of an outlier from a inspirational or lessons learned standpoint.

Comment

Minneapolis I think is our closest urban cousin that does things right? I think if we looked to another Midwestern city like them we'd be having a better conversation to Edmontonians.
                              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X