Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Buildings with Pizzazz

Edmonton Journal Stories:

No More Boring Buildings: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insi...lish-by-design

Still on the Drawing Board: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ned-with-style

Gallery: http://edmontonjournal.com/gallery/g...pal-facilities
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Edmonton certainly has done a much better job (generally speaking) with design of late.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Except that police station. It's ugly and fortress-like even with the glass. It's huge like a rec centre, only it's not a real public facility.

I don't think that spending the same amount of money on an ominous black battleship with sheer metal walls as you would on a traditional brick or stone police station is something to be proud of.

Comment

For a moment I got excited about public buildings with Pizza in them Some very nice designs in there, I think.

Comment

Sad they're all public buildings. Private developers are still cheap mofos.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
            Someone had to lead.

Originally posted by highlander View Post
            Except that police station. It's ugly and fortress-like even with the glass. It's huge like a rec centre, only it's not a real public facility.

I don't think that spending the same amount of money on an ominous black battleship with sheer metal walls as you would on a traditional brick or stone police station is something to be proud of.
            Huh? Which police station is that?

Wow, didn't previously click on the "upcoming" link.

I like the police station a lot actually. Fitting image, prestige and morale enhancing, well designed for its location beside the Henday. I hope it makes the police feel more valued.

New Zoo Building is my least favourite design. Has me terrified that some fool parents will be letting their cloven hooved inbreds throw things into the enclosure. (Thanks Lou Reed.)

Capilano Library is my easy favourite among these designs, I'll go on record as saying it makes me want to actually go there to study. Such a win for such a location.

Calder Library is going from minus ten (dilapidated '60's strip mall) to plus ten for sure, but it does seem like something I've seen before (Highlands Library, Expo Centre, numerous others around the world. First good architecture in that part of the city though, a brilliant improvement.

Milner Library design looks somehow unbalanced, although reading Belanger's comments regarding the main floor interactiveness, I'm very encouraged. Long been saying the street interaction is my number one issue with the current design. Intrigued by the concept behind the strata as well.

On the whole though, I just love how good design is reaching across the City.
            Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Is it? Public buildings should pull the market upwards and be leaders in design, functionality, sustainability and value for the dollar.

Comment

I'm glad that the city is focusing on public buildings and taking the initiative.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                  Is it? Public buildings should pull the market upwards and be leaders in design, functionality, sustainability and value for the dollar.
                  Someone should have told the RAM designers (at least, re the exterior, staircase is nice inside), although I guess it ticks functionality, sustainability and value for dollar.

Comment

^I will await the final work to be done, but I quite like it.

Comment

Carol Belanger for Mayor!
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Most of these buildings look great. The render for the police station is difficult to pass judgement on.

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                        Both sectors are inevitably constrained by financial reality but the photos above show good design results have been achieved on small to medium scale projects at least. No idea about functionality, sustainability, and value for dollar but they all look great.

Comment

Proud to see EPL has really taken initiative on this and made sure all the new buildings are stand out pieces.
                          youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                          facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Working...
                          X