Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy City: NextGen Presents Charles Montgomery

Happy City: Your City, Your Life

Edmonton's NextGen is proud to present an evening with Charles Montgomery!
    Join us for an evening of learning as we hear from Charles Montgomery, author of the award-winning book, Happy City, and founder of the consultancy of the same name. Learn about community partners within our city, and have a chance to network and meet new people!

Charles Montgomery creates transformative conversations about cities, science, and human well-being and helps planners, city builders and regular people find new ways to see and change the world around them.

Charles is an urban experimentalist who looks at how we can be happier in cities and looks for answers at the intersection of urban design and the new science of happiness. He explores the link between the ways we design our cities and the ways we think, feel, and act. His work demonstrates how each of us can change our own lives by changing our relationship with the cities we inhabit.

Hosted by Mark Connolly with CBC Radio, this is sure to be a thought-provoking evening!

When: Thursday, October 1, 2015
    Time: 6:00 pm (Doors) , 7:00 pm (Speaking Engagement with Charles)
    Where: The Heart, 9-100 Robbins Health Learning Centre, MacEwan University

Buy your tickets before September 17 and you will be entered to win 1 of 50 Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design books courtesy of CITYlab!

If you wish to purchase the book Happy City, we are selling the books for $15 (retail $21). You can pick up your book purchase at the event on October 1st.

Following the talk there will be a Q&A and book signing.

There will also be a community fair showcasing YEG projects and organizations including Blatchford, UDI New Horizons, City Regions Study Centre (CRSC), City of Edmonton Quarters Downtown Project, Queen Elizabeth Park Aboriginal Art Park project, Make Something Edmonton and others. There will be a cash bar, light food and music by DJ Thomas Culture

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1465808040413193/
    www.decl.org

Mr. Montgomery was on CBC this morning... had an interesting take on the Healy Lands development... He struck me as a bit uninformed but the session could be interesting Thursday!

Comment

Any thoughts on the Montgomery talk? I thought it was quite good - he started slow and seemed a bit disjointed at times but it gave me a few things to think about, reinforced some others. loved his approach in looking at issues of dispersion from a public and personal health and safety point of view. good turnout.

Comment

He gave the same talk at the Capital Region Board's Reenvision Housing Symposium yesterday. I thought it was quite good, lots of things to think about.
        www.decl.org

Comment

I enjoyed it and learned a bunch of new things--glad I went.

I admit I left a little worried about him, though: he mentioned his recent breakup several times in a way that was clearly supposed to sound mildly self-deprecating, but actually just ended up sounding really sad.
          “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

Working...
          X