Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Buildings Will Survive Another 100 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Hall would be # 1 on my list.

Comment

Just for context, keep in mind the article was about buildings built between 1950-80, because they're at an age when they're out of date and style, but not old enough to be venerated.

Since starting this thread, I've given the shabby ol' Annex another lookover. Except for perhaps it's contrast with it's surroundings, which can elicit both negative and positive feelings, it just doesn't stir any emotions in me one way or the other. But despite my struggle to see it's specialness, a hundred years from now, is this going to be the building that people are going to shake their heads in amazement because we let it be destroyed without a fight? I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
        The Annex really should be preserved. It's nationally (and realistically internationally) important architecturally, one of very few buildings we could say that about.

Meanwhile the only way the Paramount survives is if taxpayers submit to Procura's ridiculous ransom. This one is Little Mountain redux.
        Like I said before, I love the Annex. But what is your basis for saying that it is nationally and possibly even internationally important?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Eyes View Post
          Just for context, keep in mind the article was about buildings built between 1950-80, because they're at an age when they're out of date and style, but not old enough to be venerated.

Since starting this thread, I've given the shabby ol' Annex another lookover. Except for perhaps it's contrast with it's surroundings, which can elicit both negative and positive feelings, it just doesn't stir any emotions in me one way or the other. But despite my struggle to see it's specialness, a hundred years from now, is this going to be the building that people are going to shake their heads in amazement because we let it be destroyed without a fight? I dunno.
          Answer: yes. first curtain wall tower built in north america. it stands where it stands. The hotel Mac is not a "great building" by today's standards either (small rooms, drafty) but that is part of its charm.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
            The Annex really should be preserved. It's nationally (and realistically internationally) important architecturally, one of very few buildings we could say that about.

Meanwhile the only way the Paramount survives is if taxpayers submit to Procura's ridiculous ransom. This one is Little Mountain redux.
            Like I said before, I love the Annex. But what is your basis for saying that it is nationally and possibly even internationally important?
            One of the first two curtain wall buildings in the world (under construction at the same time as the other one in New York), and thus first in Canada. Curtain wall being no fad, I would call that "important."
            Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Can the original curtain wall be maintained in perpetuity? If the wall system is what makes it specially then any envelope upgrades essentially destroy the historical/architectural value.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                Can the original curtain wall be maintained in perpetuity? If the wall system is what makes it specially then any envelope upgrades essentially destroy the historical/architectural value.
                Maybe envelop it within another outer shell.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post

One of the first two curtain wall buildings in the world (under construction at the same time as the other one in New York), and thus first in Canada. Curtain wall being no fad, I would call that "important."
                  That's interesting! Is there any movement to protect it?

AGT Building — 1951 | Capital Modern Edmonton
                  http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/bui...n/agtbuilding/

Legislature Annex (107 St. & 98 Ave.) | Office | Discussion

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=17425

~
                  Last edited by KC; 02-09-2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                    perhaps but we'd need engineers interested in preservation to make that assessment. regardless, i'm not sure what the alternative is? "Even though its an historic building it won't last forever so we should tear it down?". I know that's not what you are proposing but that line of thinking quickly turns into the all too common pattern of letting a historic building deteriorate until there is no choice but to tear it down. even though its only 64 years old now is the time to intervene and protect it.

Comment

Working...
                    X