Build on the MacDonald Hotel Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build on the MacDonald Hotel Park?

Looking at the old picture IanO posted (link below) of Jasper Ave in a Lost Buildings thread I got to wondering if eliminating the park by the MacDonald Hotel and putting a few new buildings on the site might really change the dynamics of Jasper Avenue for the better. (I'm assuming that they could somehow build around and over the LRT / LRT entrance at this site.)

Note - eliminating any downtown open space seems like a crime to me but, sometimes, they are in simply in the wrong place and instead of being a draw open spaces act as a barrier and never do become the 'people places' they were originally envisioned to become.

Take a look at the "Before" picture.

http://www.abheritage.ca/francoedmon...riser0007b.jpg

1/2 way down this thread...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=5812

NO.

Many other sites would be far better for a tower and this park is quite an asset to the core and the overall experience of the hotel 'grounds' if you will.

I just do not 'get it' when people in this city want to destroy some of the more interesting or beautiful elements when we have such vast wastelands ripe for development that are contributing little to no value currently.

argh

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Oh, not a tower!

I was thinking of single story retail much like the site originally contained. Look at the old photo you originally posted.

And I agree with your comment about destruction. Nonetheless, in rare cases the parks themselves are small unused wastelands. As for the experience of the hotel grounds, the south face view of the river valley attracts much of the attention. As the trees mature the north side park will no doubt become a greater asset and more of an attraction however since the river valley is under a block away, is it the best and greatest use of that land?
      Last edited by KC; 28-10-2010, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Single story retail has no place on CBD-area Jasper Ave anymore, regardless of the historical precedent.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Then if it had to be a tower - I'd demand a near architectural match to the MacDonald Hotel. The prime consideration though would be adding retail at street level. I may be wrong but what seems to have killed the vibrancy of downtown Edmonton has been a number of tower developments that inward orientated and so very 'un-inviting' from the street.

I'd be very fearful of a return of the annex. "Be afraid, very afraid."
          Last edited by KC; 28-10-2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

If there is to be any single storey buildings I would only want to see them further east on jasper ave. Instead of the park in front of the mac, I would rather see a building on the parking lot 1 block east.
            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Except that parking lot has great potential with a view of the river valley.

Take a look at Google street view and look at the MacDonald Hotel's open space.

Comment

"onetheless, in rare cases the parks themselves are small unused wastelands. As for the experience of the hotel grounds, "

while not central park, i often see conference goers, hotel guests (i presume), and avg. joe enjoying lunch there... and even as simply a natural break from the concrete jungle there is massive value in that park.

Comment

The sloped roof of the LRT entrance does act like a barrier to the park. Is there a better way to incorporate it with the setting?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=jasper+...=12,106.9,,0,5

Considering that the other three corners of Jasper and 100st. are high rises, I'll like to see better usage of that park space. Perhaps have some food vendors set up there.

Comment

^are people that daft that they cannot see or enter the park on the 85% that is open and visible?

jesus

Comment

^Not that it's a high priority, but that kind of sloped-bunker really can be improved. It would be less intrusive, I think, if shaped as an ordinary kiosk.

Comment

There used to be a high rise tower on that site and it was demolished in the 1980s (I think). Apparently most of the public was against having a building (or at least the Hotel Mac Annex) on that site.

Comment

Why would anyone support building a tower to block the view of what is arguably the most beautiful building in the city? I think doing so would be disastrous from a PR perspective. Let's put towers in front of Peregrine Point and The Icon instead.

Comment

We need more buildings in our core, but not on this spot.

We need a building across Jasper Ave from that park to replace the parking lot right beside the World Trade Center Edmonton, and another building to replace the surface parking between the Marriot and Shaw conference center.

Comment

Originally posted by prairieboyinexile View Post
                              why would anyone support building a tower to block the view of what is arguably the most beautiful building in the city? I think doing so would be disastrous from a pr perspective.
                              this this this
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X