The Bow - Calgary's new signature building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bow - Calgary's new signature building

Just curious, what do people think? 58 storeys. I was in Calgary this weekend, and was blown away that when you first see the downtown now, the Bow dominates the skyline (not quite like this mock up yet, but close)

There are some other really nice looking towers in Calgary that have been constructued of late. The Bow is the most imposing from a distance though.

The 2001 monolith gets a whole bunch of bling.

Comment

I lived in Calgary for the past three years up to July, and witnessed the recent building boom and I have mixed feelings about this tower. The south side portion is very nice, transparent glass with cool diagrids and in the future will have sky gardens at several levels. The north side, pictured above, seems monolithic. It is definitely "imposing". The Bow is absolutely huge and appears incredibly wide at several angles.

All said, its a very unique building. Some of the towers recently built in Calgary are run of the mill rectangular, boxy office buildings with some gaudy features eg. Jamieson Place, Centennial. The Bow is the exception to this along with Eighth Avenue place a building that I actually prefer.

Comment

It's a nice tower, sure makes Calgary stand out. The Calgary Tower has been totally emasculated
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Been in Calgary quite a few times while its been going up and gotta say I love it. Very striking elements and creative, aesthetic use of the supporting diagonal girders. I like how wide and dominating it is. Its fills out that section of the downtown skyline nicely and the color lends itself to the Bow, the river.

It is more striking on the concave vs the recessed side. Looks great from the river direction. Less impressive from the south.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Its interesting, someone was telling me today that there is a rule in Calgary that the buildings are not allowed to throw shadow on the river bow (?). This limits the height of condos close to the river, which in turn improves the view for the buildings behind. You can see it a bit in that picture above, the buildings scaling back from the river, rather than a wall of buildings on the edge blocking everything else like you see in Edmonton.

Comment

bad news is that office vacany rates in calgary should shoot up to 20 % once bow tower is open for leasing
              Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                Its interesting, someone was telling me today that there is a rule in Calgary that the buildings are not allowed to throw shadow on the river bow (?). This limits the height of condos close to the river, which in turn improves the view for the buildings behind. You can see it a bit in that picture above, the buildings scaling back from the river, rather than a wall of buildings on the edge blocking everything else like you see in Edmonton.
                ...didn't know that - pretty sound idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
                  bad news is that office vacany rates in calgary should shoot up to 20 % once bow tower is open for leasing
                  I was talking to someone about that also. A lot of larger tennants that are currently "spread around" Calgary will relocate to take 4 or 5 floors in Bow or other new towers to come together. What its going to do is create some empty floors throughout the city, and some current "A" class buildings will drop into "B" class. The new ones will fill, its the older ones that will be hit.

Comment

Its a good rule.

Makes for a more enjoyable time in the sunshine in the river valley there and allows the bow to stand out more.

The bow river doesn't really cut any sort of Valley or swath like the North Saskatchewan does here so without proper foresight and if downtown skyscrapers encroached too much you kind of close off the river. This does happen from Eau Claire to 10th street with all the condo towers build up there. Theres some shade in that area.

As an aside Memorial Drive and the development on that side pretty much makes a mockery of the river valley on its north bank. Not much foresight in that. Its a beautiful river, bud hard to get and relaxation out of it walking along that side.
                    Last edited by Replacement; 25-10-2010, 07:50 PM.
                    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Not a fan at 1st but seeing it in person.... WOW!

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

skyline for calgary looks very impressive but there is nothing for Edmonton because of height restrictions.
                        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                          This does happen from Eau Claire to 10th street with all the condo towers build up there. Theres some shade in that area.
                          The person telling me about this rule brought it up when I asked why Eau Claire was such dump, he said the Eau Claire redevelopment has stalled - i.e. the plan to rip it down and start again - they will have to costly dig down a lot as can't go up very high.

Comment

You can see it a bit in that picture above, the buildings scaling back from the river, rather than a wall of buildings on the edge blocking everything else like you see in Edmonton.
                            The Saskatchewan is a much bigger river than the Bow, and its banks are much steeper.

The comparison is spurious.

Comment

Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
                              skyline for calgary looks very impressive but there is nothing for Edmonton because of height restrictions.
                              guess again

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X