No announcement yet.

Green Roof in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^or perhaps the designers use inappropriate material and are not as conscious of the above as they should be in orientation and design?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
      maybe because our climate and winter winds combined with a lack of humidity make it almost impossible for them to survive here?
      The winds in downtown Toronto are a lot stronger than they are here.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
        maybe because our climate and winter winds combined with a lack of humidity make it almost impossible for them to survive here?
        and it is a matter of choice of the tree or shrub you want to put up there. my guess a large oak tree wouldn't work, but a type of a spruce might.

Comment

Originally posted by grish View Post
          Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
          and it is a matter of choice of the tree or shrub you want to put up there. my guess a large oak tree wouldn't work, but a type of a spruce might.
          I was really surprised at the size of some of the trees and the variety.

Comment

I meant here in edmonton. if the objection is the wind and humidity for tree survival, then find a tree that is used to these conditions.

Comment

I meant here in edmonton. if the objection is the wind and humidity for tree survival, then find a tree that is used to these conditions.
              you find one, i'll give it a home.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Exhibit A - Manulife Place rooftop. Those trees have survived our 'winters' and our lack of 'humidity' for almost 30-years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                  Exhibit A - Manulife Place rooftop. Those trees have survived our 'winters' and our lack of 'humidity' for almost 30-years.
                  relatively sheltered podium/patio roof deck ChrisD - far from what they would experience at the top of manulife...
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

In T.O., many of the condo buildings were terraced, so the big trees started at maybe the 4-6 floors and went all the way up to the top. Most of these buildings were 7-20 floors in height.

Comment

you find one, i'll give it a home.
                      How about the Alpine Larch and the White Birch?

PS Feel free to include a bit of shelter if you wish. There are no requirements one way or another. Examples of trees in toronto are usually sheltered as well.

So, which roof-top or building side should I keep my eye on to see one of these trees?

ps as a bonus, these trees tend to have wide, but not deep root system and birch in particular likes sandy soils. I think that is well suitted to being planted on buildings. You're welcome
                      Last edited by grish; 26-09-2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Green roof does not necessarily mean trees. Hearty shrubs are just fine.
                        I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Dialog View Post
                          Green roof does not necessarily mean trees. Hearty shrubs are just fine.
                          Exactly (see Stantec north atrium as Exhibit B).

Comment

Taking the paddles to this dormant thread, since several buildings in town now have green roofs. I was quite surprised by some of them.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...reen-roof.aspx

Comment

Working...
                            X