No announcement yet.

Green Roof in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between Vegetative and Green?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
      a green roof is generally considered to be a roof that is "environmentally friendly" as opposed to the traditional asphalt/tar and gravel technology ChrisD mentioned. examples would include the one that started this thread that use vegetation whether active or passive; cool roofs whose high reflectivity reduces the urban heat effect of solar radiation; roofs used to house solar thermal panels; and roofs used to house photovoltaic panels.
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Ahhh so a Green roof can be more than just vegetative. If I am understanding you correctly.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I thought it was about $8.00 a plate depending on which restaurant you went to.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellinyvr View Post
            I thought it was about $8.00 a plate depending on which restaurant you went to.
            only in yaletown... in edmonton it's about $3.50 a plate depending on which restaurant you go to...

Comment

Originally posted by Tiran View Post
              The new Fort Edmonton Administration building is supposed to have a green roof when it is built. At least that is what the funding announcment said.
              You're correct. This was the initial plan for the administration building/point of entry at FEP, the building itself forming a kind of man-made hill that would blend seamlessly into the rest of the landscape (kind of like the Bentley plant in Crewe, England). However, costs escalated beyond what the city could afford and a different, entirely conventional vegetative roof-less plan was adopted. It's nearing completion now with move in slated for July.

I'm excited to see what kind of success the vegetative roof on the Williams Engineering building enjoys...hopefully it proves that green/vegetative roofs are the way of the future and not just a component of a fleeting "green fad".

Comment

The roof of the rehabilitated Immigration Hall will have a green roof. Constructed last year, it will have its planting completed in late Spring 2010.
                I have never acquired drum technique for the sake of acquiring it rather as a solution to a particular problem.

Comment

Article from today's Journal:
                  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...330/story.html
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Photos taken last week by a Williams Engineering Employee.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures!

Makes the look down that much better for Telus building people and Hotel Mac guests who have windows facing it. Gets rid of a little grey.
                      I would love to do that with our building, but alas I don't think the owner is interested.
                      My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

all the concrete downstairs doesn't look so bad from that angle. Kudos to W.E on their green-roof. I wish Scotia Place would consider doing something like this over the main entrance to their building.

Comment

Very impressive (initially) and I do look forward to how it "weathers" and what you learn from it.

kudos to WE

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Helmut View Post
                            ...hopefully it proves that green/vegetative roofs are the way of the future and not just a component of a fleeting "green fad".
                            If I was a betting man I would put my money down on it enjoying the same kind of legacy as other great ideas such as Poly-B piping and pine shakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick987 View Post
                              Originally posted by Helmut View Post
                              ...hopefully it proves that green/vegetative roofs are the way of the future and not just a component of a fleeting "green fad".
                              If I was a betting man I would put my money down on it enjoying the same kind of legacy as other great ideas such as Poly-B piping and pine shakes.
                              there's some - like the fairmont waterfront's herb garden in vancouver (which like the royal york in toronto also now has honeybee hives) - that have been in place quite successfully for a long time:

Comment

^ I am not suggesting that there won't be (or are not already) any success stories.

I am am just hedging that as they become more popular and ultimately more dumbed down by the developers and designers, less maintained by the building owners and so on the more we will see the predictable problems and outcry over maintenance, replacement and damage repair costs.

I am already shaking my head at lack of thought that is going into the details I am seeing on stuff being proposed. I don't expect it to improve much until the people responsible experience some problems first hand but when that happens the consumer confidence will already have been shaken.

And none of that even touches on the extremely marginal benefits of have a green roof on the average project to start with.

Comment

Working...
                                X